DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

Default Tom Hunting

Well, I just figured how every other had a thread, I'll do one for Tom Hunting.

He is the drummer for Exodus.

I love his way of playing, he's like the Neil Peart of heavy metal, I guess!

Last edited by metal overlord; 08-25-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Tom Hunting

nobody? dang

Old 08-24-2008, 07:30 PM

I hadn't seen this thread, but I'll BTTT it. I love Exodus...Bonded by Blood is one of the 5 greatest thrash albums of all time (I'd only for certain rank Reign in Blood better).

I like Tom a lot, but what sold me on Exodus was the chugging riffs lead by the masterful guitar playing of Gary Holt and Rick Hunolt.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwolf68 View Post
I hadn't seen this thread, but I'll BTTT it. I love Exodus...Bonded by Blood is one of the 5 greatest thrash albums of all time (I'd only for certain rank Reign in Blood better).

I like Tom a lot, but what sold me on Exodus was the chugging riffs lead by the masterful guitar playing of Gary Holt and Rick Hunolt.
Check out their new album "The Atrocity Expodition - Exhibit A".
New singer, but Tom was amazing in that album.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

It took me a good minute to realize Tom Hunting was the guys name, I thought you were trying to find a tom on ebay or something and couldn't figure out why Exodus had anything to do with it, lol.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcobra View Post
It took me a good minute to realize Tom Hunting was the guys name, I thought you were trying to find a tom on ebay or something and couldn't figure out why Exodus had anything to do with it, lol.
HAHAHAHA

oh god, that was good.

heh...that does make sense do.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
Check out their new album "The Atrocity Expodition - Exhibit A".
New singer, but Tom was amazing in that album.

I'll do that. I know a lot of people think it's not Exodus without Bailoff (RIP PB) or Zetro, but it was always about the music with Exodus for me.

I personally think they ran out of ideas around the time they did "Impact is Imminent" (the guitar execution in that CD was utterly brilliant, but the songs seemed to be recording room cutofffs from the previous album).

That said, I've heard a few later Exodus songs (off Tempo of the Damned) that rage pretty good.

Some of these older thrashers just keep getting better though they are older.....Kreator's "Violent Revolution" (from 2005 I think) in my view rivals anything they did in the 1980s (to include the legendary Extreme Aggression, Flag of Hate, etc), Testament's "The Gathering" from 1999 was as good as anything they ever did (although I am still more into the Alex Skolnick Testament years), Slayer's newer stuff is amazing, etc., etc....these guys just keep bashing...I love it.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwolf68 View Post
I'll do that. I know a lot of people think it's not Exodus without Bailoff (RIP PB) or Zetro, but it was always about the music with Exodus for me.

I personally think they ran out of ideas around the time they did "Impact is Imminent" (the guitar execution in that CD was utterly brilliant, but the songs seemed to be recording room cutofffs from the previous album).

That said, I've heard a few later Exodus songs (off Tempo of the Damned) that rage pretty good.

Some of these older thrashers just keep getting better though they are older.....Kreator's "Violent Revolution" (from 2005 I think) in my view rivals anything they did in the 1980s (to include the legendary Extreme Aggression, Flag of Hate, etc), Testament's "The Gathering" from 1999 was as good as anything they ever did (although I am still more into the Alex Skolnick Testament years), Slayer's newer stuff is amazing, etc., etc....these guys just keep bashing...I love it.

Skolnick is actually back in Testament, along with Paul Bostaph. I just saw them live. They kicked ass. There new album kicked major ass.

Kreator is amazing, they're like the German Slayer. I don't think Slayer ever put out a "bad" album.

Also, if your a thrasher, check out "Evile", a sick British Thrash band. Hell yeah.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
Skolnick is actually back in Testament, along with Paul Bostaph. I just saw them live. They kicked ass. There new album kicked major ass.

Kreator is amazing, they're like the German Slayer. I don't think Slayer ever put out a "bad" album.

Also, if your a thrasher, check out "Evile", a sick British Thrash band. Hell yeah.

Oh yea, I know Alex is back with Testament, I got their Formation of Damnation. It's heavy and thrashes good, but I don't think it's quite as cohesive as their earlier work. Musically it's a very good listen. I guess my problem (and maybe its my own problem) is it doesn't feel like the solos 'fit' as nicely as they once did. It sounded to me like eric peterson came up with these amazing riffs and Alex layed down some amazing solos, but they didn't really belong together. I don't know...maybe I'm just being an ass about it, because I LOVE that band. Still, I try to call it like I see (hear) it. I think it's a good CD, but it isn't the remarkable return I expected. That said, having the guys together again, maybe the next record will be more organic in nature.

I have their live DVD reunion show they did in England right after they got the original members back (John Tempesta played-brilliantly-the first half of the show and then original drummer Louie Clemente played the second half) and they positively blazed. Bostaph is a much better drummer than Clemente so im not shocked they rock with him (anyone who can hold down the Slayer gig has to be able to drum).

Re Slayer...While I liked "Bitter Peace", "Stain of Mind" and a couple others, I didn't think Diabolus in Musica was Slayer's finest hour. That said, I'll agree that Slayer has rarely done anything not of excellence.

Oh yes, I am INDEED a thrasher...I lived the scene back in the day. Name the band and I saw them on tour...the only band I never saw that I really regret not seeing was Destruction...they never seemed to tour the states when I was awake. :)