DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-11-2008, 06:59 AM

Default Legless High Hat Stand Help!

Hey, I was on musiciansfriend the other day and came across this Gibraltar high hat stand. This may be a dumb question but how does it stand up? I'm guessing you get a connecting rod/clamp to attach it to an other stand or drum rack. If not can you guys explain how it works haha

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa...sid=549&cid=27
Old 08-11-2008, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Legless High Hat Stand Help!

Just found this picture of that stand in use.
I'm probably just making things more complicated :p.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:44 PM

That's the Ultra Adjust. The legless model is exactly the same, just...without.........legs.

I use a legless on my rack setup and yes, they attach via (2) clamps. I use a Gibraltar adjustable angle multi-clamp off the rack and then a piece (forget what it's called) that is a plain tube on one end and a 'knuckled' rotatable clamp on the other, which is attached to the rack and the main shaft of the hi-hat stand.

The same basic setup should work for attaching to a cymbal stand, although you'd need to sub somethig like a TAMA adjustable clamp for the Gibraltar clamp, as the Gib clamp is designed for a 1.5" diameter tube.

I can take a pic of my setup and and post if you'd like.

They're quite handy for getting the hat pedal smack dab next to the left bass pedal and the hats closer to you if you're running a double pedal setup.

Keep in mind, though, that as shown in Ginger's pic, the hats are controlled via a cable vs. a chain/rod or direct pull method, so if you do a lot of intricate hi-hat work the difference in response and feel is quite noticable...

For this reason I'm contemplating simply drilling out the rivets that hold the legs onto a 'normal' hi-hat stand and then attaching in the same fashion....although they will still end up a little farther away than I'd really like. Don't know unless you try...

Cheers!
Old 08-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky.widget View Post
That's the Ultra Adjust. The legless model is exactly the same, just...without.........legs.

I use a legless on my rack setup and yes, they attach via (2) clamps. I use a Gibraltar adjustable angle multi-clamp off the rack and then a piece (forget what it's called) that is a plain tube on one end and a 'knuckled' rotatable clamp on the other, which is attached to the rack and the main shaft of the hi-hat stand.

The same basic setup should work for attaching to a cymbal stand, although you'd need to sub somethig like a TAMA adjustable clamp for the Gibraltar clamp, as the Gib clamp is designed for a 1.5" diameter tube.

I can take a pic of my setup and and post if you'd like.

They're quite handy for getting the hat pedal smack dab next to the left bass pedal and the hats closer to you if you're running a double pedal setup.

Keep in mind, though, that as shown in Ginger's pic, the hats are controlled via a cable vs. a chain/rod or direct pull method, so if you do a lot of intricate hi-hat work the difference in response and feel is quite noticable...

For this reason I'm contemplating simply drilling out the rivets that hold the legs onto a 'normal' hi-hat stand and then attaching in the same fashion....although they will still end up a little farther away than I'd really like. Don't know unless you try...

Cheers!
Legless hihat stands are great. I converted a DW5000 stand into a legless stand and clamped it to a cymbal stand. I also removed one of the legs from the cymbal stand, so the hat and cymbal stands support each other. Instead of seven points of contact with the floor, I have three, opening up more floor space, reducing stand clutter and transport weight. Set up time is about the same. See the link to my kit below to learn more.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Not had the opportunity to try a legless hi-hat stand.. but I find my Tama HH905 (two legged) can go quite close to the left pedal.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

I ran a Gibraltar legless hi-hat for years. Got rid of it and currently have a Tama legless, for when I need that "extra" floor space. I used a Gibraltar SC-EA100 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ELAID=26033139 with one end clamped to the hi-hat tube and the other end clamped to a cymbal stand, or tom stand (depending) with a 2 way clamp. Gibraltar's newest clamp, designed for just the hi-hat you are referring to, is the SC-EA300 http://jacksmusicstore.com/catalog/p...mcp-j~sc-ea300
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2008, 12:47 AM
Silver Member

Anything is of possibility...Desperation breeds some interesting things....

I hated having a three-legged hi-hat stand...even with them folded up, they got in the way of my double-pedal.... I just couldn't justify buying another hi-hat stand, just cause it DIDN'T have feet.

Put this together with an old cymbal stand.tube cut to make a small post and connected it to my rack with the Sonor floor tom holder that came with my kit. Had it sitting around in the corner of junk. Made my three-legged hi-hat stand legless in about 15 minutes by using a drill, hammer and a large vice-grip. Attached it all together and it works great. Not the prettiest, but functional

Old 08-12-2008, 02:53 AM
Administrator

Very nice. Necessity is the mother of invention.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:54 PM

Thank you for all the help everyone! =D
Old 08-18-2008, 04:25 PM

If you have 2 bass drums you can buy a special clamp that holds the hi hat to the front bass drum hoop. Like this one Hi hat clamp

I made my own one of these by cutting all the legs off my hi hat stand then electrical taping the hi hat to a cowbell post on my bass drum hoop. It shouldn't work but does work perfectly!

Sorry about the poor quality picture, but you get the idea.