DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 08-07-2008, 06:36 PM

Default Which pedal to choose?

Hey guys and girls! i've currently got iron cobra power glide double pedal but im finding the boards far to heavy for my liking.

so im asking for peoples opions on what other pedal i should get im of course going to try them out just would like everyones opinions on them, if you'd be so kind.

For example: the pearl elims are they heavy? ect.. any pedal you've played i'd love for a response so i can build my self a list of what to try out.

Cheers.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Which pedal to choose?

Cobras are typical weight, so most top-end pedals you will find will have about that weight and feel... I've got a Yamaha DFP-9310 and am totally in love with it, but as far as I can remember, the Iron Cobra I tried wasn't heavier than the Yamaha.
The lighter pedal in a noticeable way than the Cobra that comes to my mind is the DW 9000, it's footboards seem quite thin, but since I haven't tried one, you certainly cannot take this for granted. It's just the way it looks to me... You might want to try one, but it's more expensive than the Cobra, the Eliminator or the Dragon.
Personally, I'd suggest getting used to the Cobra, because it's a great pedal and, like I said, it's standard weight and feel for the top end pedals. You might want to try experimenting more with the various setup options that you have with it, I'm pretty sure you'll find a comfortable point. The idea is that you should be technically able to play such a pedal, but of course, it's your choice to keep the Cobra or replace it.
Cheers!
Old 08-09-2008, 01:36 AM

i was just getting ready to buy the cobras but every time i go to guitar center i try the dragons and man they just feel so good to me. i was leaning towards the cobras because Jason Bittner used them but Jason just switched to the DW9000's . he said that he kinda stuggled with the cobras. He's on a whole different level of playing than most of us so im not sure if it will hold me back to my level of play. the DW9000 are the best pedal out there but they are just too expansive for most. really it comes down to just 3 pedals. the pearl eleminators , the iron cobras and the yamaha flying dragons. there really isnt that much of a difference between them. you will have to adjust to any new pedal. everyone that has one of those 3 pedals loves it after a while. i am switching to an E-kit for my new house because of noise issues and i like the small beaters on the cobras and the way they strike the pad. the dragons feel nice also. i have DW7000's on my acoustic set and there big and heavy and slow.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:04 AM

you want a lighter pedal?

axis or trick is the first thing that comes to mind.

considered either of those?
Old 08-09-2008, 11:27 PM

Cheers for your replies, my drum teacher said when he had the cobras he thought they were a heavy pedal so im not sure about the standard weight maybe they are just i need to sort out the tensions and everything i'll have to see.

Hes gone to eliminators and says they are lighter. Maybe its just the feel too im not 100% sure when i first bought the cobra it was more or less a money option cause it was 2nd hand from my drum store and 100pounds cheaper than the dw5000 i thought why not.

But now that i've got a job im able to fund for any.

I've used my drum teachers teching pedal which is a standard sonor pedal and i can play really smooth with it so maybe it is the tensions i have on my pedal. Also my college one had the standard pearl pedal where it was smooth so also could be the feel too..

Im really not sure where i can try out axis pedals in the uk never really seen them around in my local drum shops.

Im just trying everything out when i get the chance in the next 2weeks to try out as many as possible.

And still open for opinions from others but cheers for all i really appreciate it.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:28 AM

I learned on a pearl p-100 single... then upgraded to dw 7000's which were super heavy and slow and sluggish, but at 15, i didnt know better, and they were used. recently i decided it was a must for me to get new pedals, and after a long time with the IC and the elims, i went for the elims... and i absolutely love them. the IC's were smoother and faster than my DW's, but not lighter (which was big for me too, as i have a bad left ancle from a car accident) i found the elims were exactly what the doctor ordered. if i were you i would get them. start with the blue cams, then when you get a good feel for the pedal, go with reds and you will be blown away with the speed and lightness you get out of them.

thats my 2 cents (or 0.01 pounds for you brits :P)
Old 08-12-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprock View Post
Cheers for your replies, my drum teacher said when he had the cobras he thought they were a heavy pedal so im not sure about the standard weight maybe they are just i need to sort out the tensions and everything i'll have to see.

Hes gone to eliminators and says they are lighter. Maybe its just the feel too im not 100% sure when i first bought the cobra it was more or less a money option cause it was 2nd hand from my drum store and 100pounds cheaper than the dw5000 i thought why not.

But now that i've got a job im able to fund for any.

I've used my drum teachers teching pedal which is a standard sonor pedal and i can play really smooth with it so maybe it is the tensions i have on my pedal. Also my college one had the standard pearl pedal where it was smooth so also could be the feel too..

Im really not sure where i can try out axis pedals in the uk never really seen them around in my local drum shops.

Im just trying everything out when i get the chance in the next 2weeks to try out as many as possible.

And still open for opinions from others but cheers for all i really appreciate it.

Axis Pedals in the U.K are a bitch to find, however here are a couple of links, and it's good to check Ebay to, I just got myself some Axis A Longboards in Classic Black for a bargains price of 297.99p.
Links of where in U.K to get Axis:

http://www.highwooddrums.co.uk/
http://www.dmdrums.co.uk/Axis.htm
http://www.edrumonline.co.uk/

Apparantly Highwood also do amazing drums, true art. DmDrums don't seem to brilliant as they have still not emailed me back a week later. And Edrums seem cool in the fact they get the things from America that ordinary people can't without paying over the odds.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:38 AM
Platinum Member

Aye I got some axis too drummybear6, what a chore in the UK though, good thing for ebay hehe.
I was using Pearl Eliminators, the axis pedals are immense in comparison (in my opinion). I have long feet (15 US) and have always had troubles with the boards being too short, which mean't I could never get my whole foot on the plate.. but with the Axis I have no such problem.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:19 AM

Cheers for the links to the axis pedals!

Also i think i know why i might be slacking with my ic, i think its somewhat busted in a few places maybe just some bolts are loose and need tightening up. But it was pretty good shape for 2nd hand but for 7months with it it shouldnt be this bad.

But i do have a liking to the basic pearl pedal from the one i used at college so i might try the elims out next week :D
Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 PM

The Axis is the lightest I've played, but I actually thought it was too light, and the sound was much thinner than the DW5000 I'm use to. I play an Eliminator on one house kit and think it's a great choice. Light and very versatile, but still gives a great sound. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:57 AM

Hey guys,
I've tried them all and since we all already know that it comes down to personal preference and playing them all for yourself to REALLY decide which is best for YOU, I'll just give you my faves:

My absolute favorite is the Axis AL2 (longboard) and I have ordered one for myself in the Classic Black finish. If you don't want/need a longboard-style pedal them I'd recommend the Pearl P2002 Eliminator. The Yamaha Flying Dragon (direct-drive, not chain) is sweet too, but not as adjustable and more expensive.

If you really want to see a wealth of information and opinions on a bunch of different pedals, check the "Getting new pedals" thread (below). You'll find it very helpful, I assure you.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=36313

All the best,

Mike
Old 08-17-2008, 05:00 PM

For double pedals i suggest you to pick Yamaha Flying dragon, they are so smooth and comfortable for your feet, good price to and very durable.