DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 07-27-2008, 03:43 AM

Default Electronic Kits - TD3, DTXPLORER, or DM5

Hi, I am a beginning drummer looking to buy an electronic kit. I will be doing all my practicing on this kit. Here are the options I'm looking at:

Roland TD-3KS (the one with a rubber snare and only 2 toms).
Cost: $900 + $75 for a pedal = $975

Yamaha DTXplorer
Cost: $800

Alesis DM5
Cost: $515

I have played the Roland and Yamaha kits and I find them pretty similar, although I'm a total beginner so I don't have much to go on. I would lean towards the Yamaha out of those two due to cost.

I'm going to try the Alesis in a few days to see what I think of it (the guy at the music store is setting one up for me). The price is much more attractive to me, so I'm thinking that I will get the Alesis if I find it satisfactory.

I was just hoping that if you guys have experience with these kits you could give me your thoughts on the main differences, and the value of the sets at these prices.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:01 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Electronic Kits - TD3, DTXPLORER, or DM5

DTXplorer. Yamaha is much better than Roland in the lower price range. The Alesis is kind of crappy.

The Yamaha is a great kit, it's got plenty of sound options and lots of tools to make your own sounds. Although the kick pad will bounce around if you try to use double bass, it's still a good solid kit.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcobra View Post
DTXplorer. Yamaha is much better than Roland in the lower price range. The Alesis is kind of crappy.

The Yamaha is a great kit, it's got plenty of sound options and lots of tools to make your own sounds. Although the kick pad will bounce around if you try to use double bass, it's still a good solid kit.
Thanks - could you give me anything more specific about what the problems of the Alesis are?
Old 07-27-2008, 04:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armatron View Post
Thanks - could you give me anything more specific about what the problems of the Alesis are?
It's got a bad frame, bad location for the brain and just feels cheap. I could think of a few more things, but remember, you get what you pay for. Go for the DTX.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
DTXplorer. Yamaha is much better than Roland in the lower price range.
Not necessarily - It depends completely on your needs.

Personally, its the Roland for me.

The DTXPlorer has backing tracks and an easier-to-read display screen, but the cymbals are not chokable or multizone, as with the Roland.

Channels 1, 2 and 9 on the DTXPlorer are stereo capable though, so there are options to make the kick, snare and ride pads multizone if you changed them over.

I prefer the workability, compatability and response of the Rolands, but the Yamaha is also very popular at that pricepoint.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

here is my 2 cents,

stay away from the rubber pads if you can. look for a used kit with mesh heads.

As you stated you are new to drumming,

This means you have a while before you learn technique and control. Rubber pads can do some real permanent damage to your hands, arms and wrists if hit to hard and / incorrectly.

I would watch ebay, look on Craig's list etc..

If this is not an option I would go with ether the Roland or the Yamaha, whichever one has the softest pads.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 07-28-2008, 07:10 PM

I gave up on alesis after the ion I had bought fried its brain three times...in the end the store stopped carrying them since they were tired of exchaning brains for all us who had problems...this WASNT the dm5 by the way, but i believe a cheaper module...
anyroad, I then went on to roland, and love it...started with a 6 and after a couple of years to a td-9...

you should try and get a mesh for the snare at least, but I am very happy with rubber pads for the toms...and i am a big guy who hits hard....

enjoy your dumming and keep the beat!

more advice can be found here http://www.vdrums.com/forum/
Old 07-29-2008, 01:42 AM

Thanks for all the help so far. Am I correct in thinking that I would be able to add a mesh snare (eg. Roland PDX8) to either the Yamaha or the Roland down the road?

(And is this true for the Alesis as well? I think you guys are pretty close to convincing me not to get it, but it would be good to know anyway)
Old 07-29-2008, 02:01 AM
Platinum Member

the pads / drums should all be interchangeable. There is noting magic about them.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 07-30-2008, 05:40 AM

Ok, so I think what I'm going to do is pick up the DTXplorer and I'll add a mesh snare at some point (I'll wait for a good deal on ebay or something). Thanks to everyone who has offered their advice.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:17 PM

the explorer doesnt expand for more toms or cymbals. when buying a E-kit. the module or brain is the most important thing to look at. im also looking to buy a E-set and i've done a lot of research. the roland 9 is the best for the money http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Set?sku=491358. you can add 2 more things to it. toms or cymbals. this just came out. it has a good brain and you can even expand it to 2 more duel-zone or 4 single-zone. thats huge. for the price this is a still IMO. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Set?sku=483503
Old 08-17-2008, 07:18 AM

Get the td-3 & build your own drums/pads.
What I did was I purchased two toms on ebay... a 12 & a 13.. cut them in half. Then installed a steel bar across where the Roland cone & piezo would sit on. For heads, use Roland mesh heads or the cheaper Pearl mesh kit. The new TD-9 I think is already out & that has edge,bell,bow zones for the ride cymbal. The TD3 only has bell & bow so you only get ride & bell sound with the ride cymbal. The Snare gets two zones so you have rimshots.
Im not sure if the TD-9 has full variable hi-hats but the TD3 only has open, close & mid.