DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-04-2008, 04:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Remo Vintage As on my ludwig kit.

I drug out my Ludwig classic maple kit and mounted Vintage As on it. The set is a two up, two down. 10. 12, 14, 16, and a 22 X 18 kick.

The kit had clear Emperors over clear Ambassadors and sounded good. I'd had good luck with coated G2s over clear G1s and thought I'd try some of the Remo coated heads.

After I mounted the heads I evened out the tension using a drum dial and then starting tuning by ear. The 14 inch floor tom sounded dead and life less. I checked the tension on both sides of the drum again using the drum dial and everything was where it should be.
Still the drum sounded dead. The other toms sounded pretty good.

I decided the head had a problem and went to GC to get another. That head was fine. I've heard about Remo having this problem from some of the guys who post here, This is the first time I've experienced it. The head had a flat papery sound when struck.

I played the kit sans the 14 inch floor tom and kit sounded pretty good. The heads are a little brighter than a G2. Too soon to have a solid opinion of these heads yet.

Remo's quality seems to have some issues these days. I expect more from a legendary head company.

More to follow once I get them dialed in.

Last edited by Steady Freddy; 08-10-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Remo Vintage As on my ludwig kit.

Funny you post this

I am in the market for my first heads on my CM's I just bought of Craigslist.

They have diplomats on the tom reso and clear ambassidors for the batters..they sound ok.

I have heard so much about the Coated Amb/ Diplomat combo ala Bonham but was curious how these heads would sound.

Thanks for posting this tid bit, please let us kow your thoughts on the vintage a's!
Old 08-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Pioneer Member

I had a chance to play the Ludwigs again today with the Vintage As on them. I spent the first 30 - 40 minutes getting the tom intervals sounding good. The heads are very open and resonant sounding,

The more I played the more the tone started to opened up. The toms have a nice deep tone with a fair amount of sustain.

I played for about two hours after messing with the tuning. Pretty much ended up soaked down to my kness. It's hot today. I hadn't played for a week, so I was excited and played pretty hard.

I was using my 5 X 14 Supra and got a little snare buzz off the 10 inch tom. I liked where the toms where so I started pitching up the snare. I raised both heads about an eight of a turn, After checking it, I cranked it up a couple of more times. That seemed to cure the snare buzz. The snare has a nice woody bark to it cranked up. Figgin loud too. :+)

Anyway, I like these heads. If you like coated G2s I think you'll like these too. A little more open and resonant, but with a fat and deep rich tone. Much warmer than the clear Emperors I was running before on this kit.

HTH
Old 08-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Gold Member

I've heard a couple guys say that initially the heads were a little dead, but as you play them more, they seem to break-in. I've still only used it on a couple snares. I don't know if I want to try them on the 3-ply drums because I'm digging the coated Ambassadors over the clear Ambassadors.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 08-11-2008, 07:55 AM

What do you find to be the difference in Vintage and "Standard" (?) Ambassadors?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdrummer View Post
Funny you post this

I am in the market for my first heads on my CM's I just bought of Craigslist.

They have diplomats on the tom reso and clear ambassidors for the batters..they sound ok.

I have heard so much about the Coated Amb/ Diplomat combo ala Bonham but was curious how these heads would sound.

Thanks for posting this tid bit, please let us kow your thoughts on the vintage a's!
Bonham played coated emps over coated ambs on the maple kits.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
I've heard a couple guys say that initially the heads were a little dead, but as you play them more, they seem to break-in. I've still only used it on a couple snares. I don't know if I want to try them on the 3-ply drums because I'm digging the coated Ambassadors over the clear Ambassadors.
If your digging the sound why change? I tend to like 2 ply heads on toms. I beat up single ply heads pretty quick. The construction of these heads may be vintage, but they sound pretty modern to me.

I didn't find these heads to be dead at all. They sound good.

HTH
Old 08-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
What do you find to be the difference in Vintage and "Standard" (?) Ambassadors?
Well, the last time I used standard Ambasadors on toms,"Sunshine of your love" was a top forty song. :P
Old 08-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
Bonham played coated emps over coated ambs on the maple kits.
Lots of talk about the Bonham sound. It was great to be sure. Keep in mind, back in those days there weren't many head choices. Clears hadn't come out yet.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the review!

I have the coated Vintage A on my 14x5" Acrolite snare drum with an Ambassador Snare Side and it's well-suited for it! I get an almost Chad Smith-like crack and sound out of it. I say it's a good snare head for sure. One day I'll get around to putting one on my 13x3 Ludwig Piccolo too.

I probably won't use Vintages around the rest of the kit because I prefer Evans there.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNealy View Post
Thanks for the review!

I have the coated Vintage A on my 14x5" Acrolite snare drum with an Ambassador Snare Side and it's well-suited for it! I get an almost Chad Smith-like crack and sound out of it. I say it's a good snare head for sure. One day I'll get around to putting one on my 13x3 Ludwig Piccolo too.

I probably won't use Vintages around the rest of the kit because I prefer Evans there.

I have a Vintage A on a Yamaha 6.5 X 13 and it sounds good. it's a good bet as a snare batter for sure.

I played again today for about three hours. A small spot of coating chipped off the 10 inch tom. What a surprise!! :) Not a big deal.

The Evans coating is for superior to what ever Remo is using. I've had coated G2s on two kits for months and the heads still look almost brand new.

The floor toms had to be tuned a little. A couple of lug points had dropped tension slightly.
These heads sound really good.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:55 PM

What would anyone say the Vintage As sound like compared to regular coated Ambassadors on a snare drum? I know someone up above asked about the comparison, but I have an Ambassador on my main snare now, and I'm curious.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsabianguy View Post
What would anyone say the Vintage As sound like compared to regular coated Ambassadors on a snare drum? I know someone up above asked about the comparison, but I have an Ambassador on my main snare now, and I'm curious.

The vintage A is a two ply head. The Ambassador is a more open sounding head. The Vintage A might be a good choice on a metal drum if an ambasador is too bright.