DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Big_Philly

Default New hats & crash: Sabian AA's

Hi everyone,

I figured I'd spend some of my hard-earned cash on my drum kit. The hats are an impulsive purchase; I was in a drum store to buy a cymbal stand and found myself alone in a room with 40+ drum kits set up and ready to play. From beginner kits to DW's, Starclassics, and an acrylic seamless-shell Kirchoff kit which sounded like a bunch of cannons, awesome! I normally would act professional in a drum store but since I was alone I figured I'd try out a bunch of them. A salesman entered and complimented me on my playing, stating that I had obviously been drumming a long time :) At the Kirchhoff I found these Sabian AA 13" Fusion hats - great sound! Crispy and bright, as if they were custom made for me. The most interesting part of this cymbal is how incredibly thick the bottom is - I attached a close-up picture of the edge. The bottom has not been lathed as you can see in the picture. There's vent holes in the bottom as well to make it drier.
The crash cymbal was also somewhat impulsive, I decided to add another crash to my arsenal and ended up buying this one, an AA 16" bright crash.
Both the hats and the crash sound great and look great on my kit, which as a whole looks awesome in my new room. There's an orange neon light above my kit, making it look awesome in the dark. Pics are attached. Enjoy!

Old 08-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: New hats & crash: Sabian AA's

...good choice on the hats Big Philly.

I lke the fusion hats. They are very versatile, and sound great no matter how you play them. I would sometimes play the bottom over the top and stick a drum key in the speed hole for a little extra sizzle. I would also do that played top over bottom.

Hope you enjoy them and the new crash for many years to come.

Barry
Old 08-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Pioneer Member

Awesome choice. Even though I am a zildjian guy I used the 13" fusion hats on the last 3 cd's I played on. And also got a set for one of my students about 10 yrs ago. Enjoy them.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 08-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Big_Philly

Thanks guys. Yeah these cymbals should last me many years indeed. Trying the bottom cymbal on top sounds interesting, I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:13 PM

I've got a pair of 13" fusion hats...they are indeed very versatile and deliver good crisp sound.

Big Philly, c'mon you should know that it is NEVER safe to go into a drum room at a store by yourself...lucky you got out of there with only the cymbal purchases!!!

Next time bring a spotter!!

Enjoy your new additions!

Jack

Christian Drummers Army
Old 08-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGdrummer View Post
Big Philly, c'mon you should know that it is NEVER safe to go into a drum room at a store by yourself...lucky you got out of there with only the cymbal purchases!!!
I'm a drummer on the edge I guess ;-) Though the cymbals arent the only thing I bought (I got the crash a few weeks later off a dutch kind of e-bay btw, it was newly imported with a huge discount), I also bought a Pearl 800-series cymbal boomstand. But that was what I was going for in the first place. My mom was with me when I bought them and actually encouraged me to buy the hats :D
Old 08-10-2008, 06:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
My mom was with me when I bought them and actually encouraged me to buy the hats :D
...yay Mom.

Barry
Old 08-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
My mom was with me when I bought them and actually encouraged me to buy the hats :D
I Love your mom, I'm taking her with me next time I go to the Drum shop.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 08-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsword View Post
I Love your mom, I'm taking her with me next time I go to the Drum shop.
That's fine with me... but I had to pay for them with my own cash ;) it's not like she was paying for me ;) But she seems to understand my love for the drums. Out of 4 children, three of them took music lessons, and only one of them continued playing in his twenties, and that one's me. I'm in my early twenties though but don't intend to stop playing. Ever.

My parents once told me they were pretty proud of me, being the only one to really use his musical talents and try to get the max out of them.