DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-02-2008, 01:40 AM

Default Evans Torque Key Help

I just bought one a couple days ago ( $20 ) and It's either I'm doing something wrong or it's a ripoff.

I finger tighten my toms, then set it to 4, once it finally clicks I go straight across to the other lug, then i do the normal order of tuning you know. but heres my problem, it clicks much earlier than the other two times I did it, I can easily tell. If anyone has one, could they please explain to me why it clicks quicker after tightening the first two lugs? Or am I doing something wrong?
Old 08-03-2008, 04:26 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Evans Torque Key Help

I have one of these and I use it occasionally.

It could be the first tuning bolt goes in easier for whatever reasons and the other ones have tighter threading or something that makes them harder to screw in. Try it on different bolts and you will see some go in easier than others. It might help to moving some of the tuning bolts to different lugs.

That's one of the limitations with bolt-based tuning tools. They don't correspond to head tension, but to tuning bolt tension. I use a Drum Dial to get really accurate
Old 08-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

I have the same tuning key.You have to make sure ALL of your lugs are clean and working smoothly. I personally put a little Vaseline on the threads about every other head change.

Turn slowly also you have to understand as you tighten one lug it pulls the hoop down a little for the others making them feel different depending on the pattern you use on the lugs.

DO NOT go for your final setting right off the bat. Start with a much lower setting. criss cross the drum, get the lugs even then click it in a few clicks and go again. Test for sound in between each set of clicks.

It is a great tool to get you close as a starting point but it is far from perfect as are all drum tuning devices. At the end of the day it is your ears that you need to use. I hate to say it but there is no magic way to tune with out listening. The fact is there is no correct tuning. It is all up to you. The key is just a fast way to get close and save a little time.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 08-05-2008, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
I have the same tuning key.You have to make sure ALL of your lugs are clean and working smoothly. I personally put a little Vaseline on the threads about every other head change.

Turn slowly also you have to understand as you tighten one lug it pulls the hoop down a little for the others making them feel different depending on the pattern you use on the lugs.

DO NOT go for your final setting right off the bat. Start with a much lower setting. criss cross the drum, get the lugs even then click it in a few clicks and go again. Test for sound in between each set of clicks.

It is a great tool to get you close as a starting point but it is far from perfect as are all drum tuning devices. At the end of the day it is your ears that you need to use. I hate to say it but there is no magic way to tune with out listening. The fact is there is no correct tuning. It is all up to you. The key is just a fast way to get close and save a little time.
cool thank you very much for the tips and info.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I have one of these and I use it occasionally.

It could be the first tuning bolt goes in easier for whatever reasons and the other ones have tighter threading or something that makes them harder to screw in. Try it on different bolts and you will see some go in easier than others. It might help to moving some of the tuning bolts to different lugs.

That's one of the limitations with bolt-based tuning tools. They don't correspond to head tension, but to tuning bolt tension. I use a Drum Dial to get really accurate
Yup, my experiences as well.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

I have that key too and it's pretty cool.

I have a drum dial too, and I just used it to get some kinks out of a floor tom I could "ear" out.

When the torque key "pops" quickly, it just means the lug you turned got to the set pressure # quicker than the previous one.

So basically you finger tightened the lug more than the 'first' one...no biggie, but, yeah, don't go for the "final" setting right off the bat.

I like that key, but I mainly use it if it seems like one or two lugs happen to just not seem right.