DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #161  
Old 07-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy View Post
Haha great description.

DMC - I bet that thing is darn heavy and extremely loud?
Yes, very heavy and very loud. The drums are small - 18 bass, 14, 12, 10 and 8 toms, 13 by 4 snare - but they have the weight and sound of much larger drums. They're also square sized, so you really hear the ironwood sound. I promise I will get some sound clips up soon.

Aydee, that is a pretty cool tree you photographed. Ironwood is a generic name for any extremely hard wood, but I bet you could make a shell out of just about any kind of wood. I believe the heaviest, densest woods come from hot, dry climates. Something tells me ironwood is too dense to be shaved into plies so staves or solid shell would be the only way to go.

Drumsword, I know you are a spiritual person. When I got these shells I did thank God for creating the tree and for safeguarding the loggers and craftsmen to risked their safety to create the drums. The tree was about 300 years in the making and I will cherish these drums for the rest of my life.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 07-31-2008, 06:59 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Here is a long-awaited sound file of me playing the Kahuna Set a couple of days ago. Forgive the sound quality - it was recorded with one of those little Yamaha Pocketrak 300, set about 10 feet from the kit, mic sensitivity about half, medium sound quality.

Click here to watch Soirit-set-sample-1
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 07-31-2008, 10:19 PM
LM201's Avatar
LM201 LM201 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mt, Juliet, Tennessee
Posts: 429
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

I wish I was good... At 40 seconds in is someone screaming?
__________________
PEWFLADCC-Master Cake Baker
!!!!RIP FINN!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 08-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Yes, the screaming is my 2-year-old daughter. Kids that age have an Adult Enjoyment Sensor and if they know you have having any fun that does not involve them, they will start screaming. I hope it doesn't distract from the sound clip too much.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 08-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Drumsword's Avatar
Drumsword Drumsword is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,381
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

They sound GREAT man, and the sceaming actually gives it that stadium effect, she was yelling in time, so it worked out great. AWESOME!!!!!!!!
__________________
http://www.myspace.com/peteholman1

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 08-02-2008, 12:19 AM
junglelord's Avatar
junglelord junglelord is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 482
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Great swing, excellent time and feel, and of course they sound very special and incredible.
Thanks I really like your groove.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 08-02-2008, 01:17 AM
stasz's Avatar
stasz stasz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Illinois, US
Posts: 2,187
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Nice feel. I liked your work on the toms while keep a ride cymbal pattern going over the top. When you moved to the hi-hats but the kept the same pattern going, I was confused as to how before I remembered you play open-handed. : ) Nice swing feel.
__________________
"If you think you're more important than the drums, you've got another thing coming." -Tony Williams
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 08-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
Nice feel. I liked your work on the toms while keep a ride cymbal pattern going over the top. When you moved to the hi-hats but the kept the same pattern going, I was confused as to how before I remembered you play open-handed. : ) Nice swing feel.
Thanks. I always took it for granted that I could play patterns on the toms while keeping a ride pattern going but now that you mention it, it would be impossible to do playing crossed.

Drumsword, the "stadium effect" comment cracked me up. At least someone cheers when I play!
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,312
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Here is a long-awaited sound file of me playing the Kahuna Set a couple of days ago. Forgive the sound quality - it was recorded with one of those little Yamaha Pocketrak 300, set about 10 feet from the kit, mic sensitivity about half, medium sound quality.

Click here to watch Soirit-set-sample-1
Hey, you play good, DMC! That was a real nice n' greasy groove. I liked what you did with the toms and the hat accents through the ride pattern. Very funky, indeed.

The drum quality comes thru despite the recording. Your daughter sounded good too.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Hey, you play good, DMC! That was a real nice n' greasy groove. I liked what you did with the toms and the hat accents through the ride pattern. Very funky, indeed.

The drum quality comes thru despite the recording. Your daughter sounded good too.
Thanks - I like the "greasy" description for the swing because it does have that feel.

Below are the three clips I have so far - the swing-type playing and a song we call James Bond in Matanzas. I was playing my left-foot clave rhythm and this keyboardist I play with started playing along. It's a rough first cut and we are going to refine it. Blue Veil is a song on the Hang Drum.

Click here to watch Soirit-set-sample-1

Click here to watch James-Bond-in-Matanzas

Click here to watch Blue-Veil
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids

Last edited by Deathmetalconga; 08-06-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 08-06-2008, 05:50 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,312
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

These putfiles dont seem to play...
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 08-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Dang! putfile.com has been a hassle. Can you recommend any better way to host sound files?
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 08-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Tuxido's Avatar
Tuxido Tuxido is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 670
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

supload.com for audio
vimeo.com for video
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 08-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxido View Post
supload.com for audio
vimeo.com for video
None of those are working out either. Can you just put audio on youtube, or do you need video?
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 08-07-2008, 09:08 AM
BBman BBman is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Hey man, that's a nice Hang Drum. I want to get one, but the wait time is too long.
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 08-07-2008, 10:13 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,312
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
None of those are working out either. Can you just put audio on youtube, or do you need video?
Dont have to put up video if you don't want to. Just upload a pic of your kit... or even leave it blank for that matter..
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 08-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

OK, I think I have figured it out now - just use the paper clip for attachments in the posting tools.

Below are the three clips I have so far - the swing-type playing and a song we call James Bond in Matanzas. I was playing my left-foot clave rhythm and this keyboardist I play with started playing along. It's a rough first cut and we are going to refine it. Blue Veil is a song on the Hang Drum.

Spirit set greasy swing.MP3

James Bond in Matanzas-reduced.mp3

Blue Veil-reduced.mp3
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 08-08-2008, 05:23 AM
LM201's Avatar
LM201 LM201 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mt, Juliet, Tennessee
Posts: 429
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Ill trade you my ludwig stock snare for your whole drumset. It's a great deal, I say take it
__________________
PEWFLADCC-Master Cake Baker
!!!!RIP FINN!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 08-09-2008, 07:27 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,312
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
OK, I think I have figured it out now - just use the paper clip for attachments in the posting tools.

Below are the three clips I have so far - the swing-type playing and a song we call James Bond in Matanzas. I was playing my left-foot clave rhythm and this keyboardist I play with started playing along. It's a rough first cut and we are going to refine it. Blue Veil is a song on the Hang Drum.

Attachment 20313

Attachment 20314

Attachment 20315
Interesting musical headspace in your playing. Some New Orleans/Latin flavored / world music going on there?

I enjoyed that.

Another interesting player, in the tradition of Trilok Gurtu who likes mixing up genres. ( Sivamani ). He's got hell of a drum kit too..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW5mu...eature=related

Last edited by aydee; 08-09-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 08-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM201 View Post
Ill trade you my ludwig stock snare for your whole drumset. It's a great deal, I say take it
HAHA! Yeah, I thought about it seroiusly - for a nanosecond. I doubt these drums are even being made anymore. There's about a dozen sets in existence, maybe a few hundred snares and hand drums. Luckily, if my house burned down, the shells would make it through because ironwood is pretty flame resistant.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #181  
Old 08-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by theberzh View Post
These are awesome drums. I have had this theory for a while about making drum but never had the tools for the execution.
There's a reason why solid shell drums are so rare (although they were common for thousands of years, and still dominate to this day in some parts of the world).

They're a lot heavier, they take more work to make and they are vulnerable to splitting and cracking. Plywood is far superior for strength and durability - why do you think they make houses out of wood composites like plywood and particle board? Staves are a good compromise, miximizing the advantages of solid and ply and minimizing the disadvantages of each.

The denser the wood, the lower the moisture content and the less susceptible shells will be to cracking, so ironwood is ideal for solid shells. To make solid shells, you need really specialized machinery, the right kind of wood and the logs have to cure for months. There should probably be an easier way to do it with modern technology but no one is devoting a lot or research to this.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 09-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Wavelength's Avatar
Wavelength Wavelength is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,072
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

The drums sound nice & big...

...but now I'd like to hear them tuned a bit higher, too. :-)
__________________
I play Kumu Drums. I also shoot videos.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:39 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
OK, I think I have figured it out now - just use the paper clip for attachments in the posting tools.

Below are the three clips I have so far - the swing-type playing and a song we call James Bond in Matanzas. I was playing my left-foot clave rhythm and this keyboardist I play with started playing along. It's a rough first cut and we are going to refine it. Blue Veil is a song on the Hang Drum.
I had the pleasure of playing this kit a while ago and I can say that these sound clips, while great, don't even begin to do it justice. It looks far more incredible to the naked eye, also. They weigh several ton too, but that's just helping advance DMC's bodybuilding career.

The first clip is cool...very 'nawlins! It would be killer w/ a horn section.

The second has a nice left-foot clave going, far out!

That third one sounds ODDLY familiar. ;)

It's not your personal preference but I definitely would tune them tighter myself, too. I can just imagine how hard it is to control the overtones coming out of those mighty shells though. I'd toss some coated over clears and make 'em sing like a choir.

...just dreaming what I'd do if it were my kit. :)
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 09-18-2008, 06:18 PM
victoriousmusic's Avatar
victoriousmusic victoriousmusic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Hi,
First, love the kit! Awesome indeed! Next, I'm new to this forum, so I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a drummer who has not played in several years due to illness and pretty bad nerve damage in my legs, primarily R leg, so bass drum was severely affected, and I was having great difficulty with playing in time. I had a delay in the time between when my brain would tell my foot to play and the time my foot would actually play! I recently began playing again as it really has been therapeutic in my recovery and I'm getting better the last year or so as well as I have found a doctor who is fairly successful in treating my condition.
I had sold off my acoustic set that I had for over 25 years (a vintage Slingerland set) to a recording studio and bought an electronic set to use for recording. I didn't spend much because I had no idea if I would be able to play or not. I got an Alesis DM-5 and some Hart Dynamics pads. I got a dualist pedal mainly due to my physical difficulties.
The problem I am having with the pedal is that no matter how I adjust it I keep getting double hits on the pad. Either with the single or double mode this will happen, not every time, but often. I thought maybe it was just my leg, but now that I'm getting stronger it's still happening. I even tried loosening the head of the pad, did not help..Today I also tried throwing a cloth over the head, with no results except to mute some of my original hits..
I don't have much experience with electronic drums at all, as I have only had these a few months and these are the 1st I've ever played. Oh, and I have the cymbals with them as well. They sound better than I thought they would, as the ones I heard back in th 90's sounded awful, I guess they've improved them significantly.
My husbands band will be seeking a drummer soon and I used to play with them over 8 years ago and was thinking of trying out again, but I need to resolve this issue and work on the set list if I'm going to even consider it.
I went to the website (dualist) and they had nothing there to assist me, and from the searches I've seen so far here, no one seems to like this pedal much, and refers to people who use it as "cheating"..but, in my case I am trying to compensate for physical disability, so without some sort of help, I won't be playing at all..kind of like def leopards drummer..if you will. I didn't hear anyone calling him a cheater!! (just joking)
Anyway, if anyone has any ideas of what I might do to get this thing working right I'd really appreciate it.
I didn't really understand some of the terminology of the other bass drum threads I read, I never really considered how I moved my foot before I guess...never broke it all down..Just played. I really need to though. With the way I'm having to relearn everything now, it's very frustrating..it really is.
Any tips on using the dualist are welcome as well.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 09-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Drumsword's Avatar
Drumsword Drumsword is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,381
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriousmusic View Post
Hi,
First, love the kit! Awesome indeed! Next, I'm new to this forum, so I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a drummer who has not played in several years due to illness and pretty bad nerve damage in my legs, primarily R leg, so bass drum was severely affected, and I was having great difficulty with playing in time. I had a delay in the time between when my brain would tell my foot to play and the time my foot would actually play! I recently began playing again as it really has been therapeutic in my recovery and I'm getting better the last year or so as well as I have found a doctor who is fairly successful in treating my condition.
I had sold off my acoustic set that I had for over 25 years (a vintage Slingerland set) to a recording studio and bought an electronic set to use for recording. I didn't spend much because I had no idea if I would be able to play or not. I got an Alesis DM-5 and some Hart Dynamics pads. I got a dualist pedal mainly due to my physical difficulties.
The problem I am having with the pedal is that no matter how I adjust it I keep getting double hits on the pad. Either with the single or double mode this will happen, not every time, but often. I thought maybe it was just my leg, but now that I'm getting stronger it's still happening. I even tried loosening the head of the pad, did not help..Today I also tried throwing a cloth over the head, with no results except to mute some of my original hits..
I don't have much experience with electronic drums at all, as I have only had these a few months and these are the 1st I've ever played. Oh, and I have the cymbals with them as well. They sound better than I thought they would, as the ones I heard back in th 90's sounded awful, I guess they've improved them significantly.
My husbands band will be seeking a drummer soon and I used to play with them over 8 years ago and was thinking of trying out again, but I need to resolve this issue and work on the set list if I'm going to even consider it.
I went to the website (dualist) and they had nothing there to assist me, and from the searches I've seen so far here, no one seems to like this pedal much, and refers to people who use it as "cheating"..but, in my case I am trying to compensate for physical disability, so without some sort of help, I won't be playing at all..kind of like def leopards drummer..if you will. I didn't hear anyone calling him a cheater!! (just joking)
Anyway, if anyone has any ideas of what I might do to get this thing working right I'd really appreciate it.
I didn't really understand some of the terminology of the other bass drum threads I read, I never really considered how I moved my foot before I guess...never broke it all down..Just played. I really need to though. With the way I'm having to relearn everything now, it's very frustrating..it really is.
Any tips on using the dualist are welcome as well.
Thanks!
Welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you here. We will be glad to assist in anyway we can to help you out, as for cheating you need to do what works for you, and don't worry about what anyone here thinks. There are 10,000 different options to every drum set and as many opinions about them and everyone of them is correct (For the person that utilizes them). Experiment, practice and follow your percussive calling and conquer ur limitations and whatever works to make that happen....Awesome. As for the dualist..I have no opinion, never played one :(
__________________
http://www.myspace.com/peteholman1

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 09-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriousmusic View Post
Hi,
First, love the kit! Awesome indeed! Next, I'm new to this forum, so I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a drummer who has not played in several years due to illness and pretty bad nerve damage in my legs, primarily R leg, so bass drum was severely affected, and I was having great difficulty with playing in time. I had a delay in the time between when my brain would tell my foot to play and the time my foot would actually play! I recently began playing again as it really has been therapeutic in my recovery and I'm getting better the last year or so as well as I have found a doctor who is fairly successful in treating my condition.
I had sold off my acoustic set that I had for over 25 years (a vintage Slingerland set) to a recording studio and bought an electronic set to use for recording. I didn't spend much because I had no idea if I would be able to play or not. I got an Alesis DM-5 and some Hart Dynamics pads. I got a dualist pedal mainly due to my physical difficulties.
The problem I am having with the pedal is that no matter how I adjust it I keep getting double hits on the pad. Either with the single or double mode this will happen, not every time, but often. I thought maybe it was just my leg, but now that I'm getting stronger it's still happening. I even tried loosening the head of the pad, did not help..Today I also tried throwing a cloth over the head, with no results except to mute some of my original hits..
I don't have much experience with electronic drums at all, as I have only had these a few months and these are the 1st I've ever played. Oh, and I have the cymbals with them as well. They sound better than I thought they would, as the ones I heard back in th 90's sounded awful, I guess they've improved them significantly.
My husbands band will be seeking a drummer soon and I used to play with them over 8 years ago and was thinking of trying out again, but I need to resolve this issue and work on the set list if I'm going to even consider it.
I went to the website (dualist) and they had nothing there to assist me, and from the searches I've seen so far here, no one seems to like this pedal much, and refers to people who use it as "cheating"..but, in my case I am trying to compensate for physical disability, so without some sort of help, I won't be playing at all..kind of like def leopards drummer..if you will. I didn't hear anyone calling him a cheater!! (just joking)
Anyway, if anyone has any ideas of what I might do to get this thing working right I'd really appreciate it.
I didn't really understand some of the terminology of the other bass drum threads I read, I never really considered how I moved my foot before I guess...never broke it all down..Just played. I really need to though. With the way I'm having to relearn everything now, it's very frustrating..it really is.
Any tips on using the dualist are welcome as well.
Thanks!
Welcome to the forum.

I have played a Duallist for a couple of years. If the pedal is in single mode, you should never be getting both beaters to hit - it is impossible. It sounds like the tension needs to be adjusted. Also, can you control the sensitivity of the trigger pad? All it might take is a tiny double bounce to trigger it a second time and if you have nerve damage you could be doing that and not be able to control it. Setting up the Duallist correctly takes weeks of experimentation.

If the physical problems and severe enough, you might want to consider flipping your bass and hihat. Yes, it would be a huge task and you'd have to re-teach your limbs, but it might be worth it. I read once about a famous violinist who burned out his left hand playing too much. He learned to play left handed (right hand fingering, left hand on bow) and within a short time was back to playing concerts.

You might be in the same situation. It might be easier (and sound better) to teach your left foot to play bass and right foot to play hats. You'd be playing open, left hand on snare and right hand on hats and ride. Your hands wouldn't have to switch their roles.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 09-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Drumsword's Avatar
Drumsword Drumsword is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,381
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

I forgot Martin (aka Deathmetalconga) uses the dualist, He is wise beyond his years ;) Heed his wisdom :)

I didn't even think about switching feet, good info.
__________________
http://www.myspace.com/peteholman1

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 09-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I had the pleasure of playing this kit a while ago and I can say that these sound clips, while great, don't even begin to do it justice. It looks far more incredible to the naked eye, also. They weigh several ton too, but that's just helping advance DMC's bodybuilding career.

The first clip is cool...very 'nawlins! It would be killer w/ a horn section.

The second has a nice left-foot clave going, far out!

That third one sounds ODDLY familiar. ;)

It's not your personal preference but I definitely would tune them tighter myself, too. I can just imagine how hard it is to control the overtones coming out of those mighty shells though. I'd toss some coated over clears and make 'em sing like a choir.

...just dreaming what I'd do if it were my kit. :)
They are actually tighter than they used to be! I like deep drums but I should tune these higher just to find out what they sound like at the upper end of their range. Who knows - I might like them even more at higher tuning. You are right, overtone control makes tuning a lengthy process (I have www.tightscrews.com and that helps a LOT).

That third tune should sound familiar - it's the one we jammed on with you on the ashikos at my pad a few months ago! I'm bummed I didn't tape us so let's get together again soon.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 03-01-2009, 05:43 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Now that I have heard the clips and looked at the thread:

I have to say I agree with Aydee when he says the kit has fantastic aesthetics! That kit has such a tribal/earthy quality to it's appearance. It stands out as a kit that has a "theme" that is more fully actualized than most kits. That ranges from the drum finish, to hardware, drumhead choice and artwork.

I appreciate the fact that the drums are solid. I have to say that places drums IMO in a certain hierarchy.

1. Solid
2. Stave
3. Ply

Up until this thread, the only solid shelled drum I had seen or tried is a Luka snare some time ago. I have to side with the solid/stave crowd that the drums are simply better at transmitting sound than plies and lots of glue.

I also appreciate the hardware they use, as it has minimal lug contact...great for form and function. I bet the shells vibrate so well that the concept of "voice matching" is as irrelevant a concept as it is on my kit. I looked up some specs on "Cooktown ironwood" and it's obviously super dense and hard. That would also make me believe that even if there are some anomalies (moisture, irregularities) that it would be even more prominent than with maple. I don't think that ironwood is especially knotty or flawed.

The inside view of the shell and edges is spectacular! I have to think that inside carving may also help reduce bright reflectivity a little, thanks to the irregular surfaces.

Those drums would be worth the lugging IMO. Bravo!

Incidentally, I noticed you play a duellist. You might be interested in this scan. I found a copy of "drums" from jan/feb 1989 that was laying around in my local mom and pop store. The issue was titled "double bass mania," and I scanned the pedal patents. You might find the lower right hand patent interesting.

I have to say, your kit is awesome in every sense of the word!
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 03-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
Now that I have heard the clips and looked at the thread:

I have to say I agree with Aydee when he says the kit has fantastic aesthetics! That kit has such a tribal/earthy quality to it's appearance. It stands out as a kit that has a "theme" that is more fully actualized than most kits. That ranges from the drum finish, to hardware, drumhead choice and artwork.

I appreciate the fact that the drums are solid. I have to say that places drums IMO in a certain hierarchy.

1. Solid
2. Stave
3. Ply

Up until this thread, the only solid shelled drum I had seen or tried is a Luka snare some time ago. I have to side with the solid/stave crowd that the drums are simply better at transmitting sound than plies and lots of glue.

I also appreciate the hardware they use, as it has minimal lug contact...great for form and function. I bet the shells vibrate so well that the concept of "voice matching" is as irrelevant a concept as it is on my kit. I looked up some specs on "Cooktown ironwood" and it's obviously super dense and hard. That would also make me believe that even if there are some anomalies (moisture, irregularities) that it would be even more prominent than with maple. I don't think that ironwood is especially knotty or flawed.

The inside view of the shell and edges is spectacular! I have to think that inside carving may also help reduce bright reflectivity a little, thanks to the irregular surfaces.

Those drums would be worth the lugging IMO. Bravo!

Incidentally, I noticed you play a duellist. You might be interested in this scan. I found a copy of "drums" from jan/feb 1989 that was laying around in my local mom and pop store. The issue was titled "double bass mania," and I scanned the pedal patents. You might find the lower right hand patent interesting.

I have to say, your kit is awesome in every sense of the word!
Thanks for the comments. I think you are right-on in everything you say. You ar very perceptive in noting the theme, hardware principles and other things. You should be a reviewer actually.

Solid shell wood are the rarest of all drum types, but also the most ancient. The main drawback with solid shells is durability. There's a reason plywood is preferred for general construction: it resists warping and cracking and is very strong for its weight. That is the downfall of solid shells (in addition to much more laborious to make and you can't get really thin shells). You can offset the risk of splitting by using very dense woods (harder to work) and curing them thoroughly. But you are dealing with a completely natural, unprocessed piece of organic material and it will never be as reliable as a heavily processed ply shell. Stave drums are a great compromise, being much more durable than solid and much more musical than ply.

The double pedal drawings are awesome! You are right, people have been doing this for a long time. The Duallist is the first design that is switchable, but I have seen a Duallist knock-off that operates on similar principles.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 05-30-2009, 12:50 PM
spirit spirit is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Richmond, Surrey, UK
Posts: 257
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Okay, it's taken two months to get it in more or less final form. This is from www.spiritdrums.com, drums made of solid-shell Cooktown ironwood from Australia.

All drums are square sizes, 8 10 12 and 14 inch toms, 18 inch bass drum, snare is 13 by 4. Cymbals are all Zildjian A Customs, 20 inch ping ride, 13 inch hats, 17 inch crash, 12 inch splash, 8 inch splash, 18 inch China.

Accessories include Pete Englehart agogo bells and foot-operated talking drum from www.b-radpercussion.com and LP plastic block foot pedal.

Hardware is mostly DW, Tama hi-hat stand with legs removed and custom fabricated cymbal stackers, bass drum cradle and foot percussion holder, Gauger aluminum RIMS mounts.

All heads are Remo Fiberskyn FAs batter and coated Ambassadors resonant. Bass drum head of Spirit Drums logo by www.drumart.com.

Sticks are wok chopsticks mostly, with Vic Firth brushes, Trilok Gurtu signatures, assorted mallets and plastic brushes and rutes.

Below are the three clips I have so far - the swing-type playing and a song we call James Bond in Matanzas. I was playing my left-foot clave rhythm and this keyboardist I play with started playing along. It's a rough first cut and we are going to refine it. Blue Veil is a song on the Hang Drum.

Attachment 20313

Attachment 20314

Attachment 20315





Thats a really fine looking Kit mate!
Bet she sounds fantastic also.
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 06-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit View Post
Thats a really fine looking Kit mate!
Bet she sounds fantastic also.
Thanks for the comments. I am going to get some more sound clips up soon.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 06-22-2009, 08:40 PM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,312
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Hey DMC, whats that cymbal with the silver knob- like rivets up on the wall?
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 06-22-2009, 09:15 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,386
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

They look like jingles
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 06-30-2009, 05:42 AM
JPendo's Avatar
JPendo JPendo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 29
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Okay, it's taken two months to get it in more or less final form. This is from www.spiritdrums.com, drums made of solid-shell Cooktown ironwood from Australia.

All drums are square sizes, 8 10 12 and 14 inch toms, 18 inch bass drum, snare is 13 by 4. Cymbals are all Zildjian A Customs, 20 inch ping ride, 13 inch hats, 17 inch crash, 12 inch splash, 8 inch splash, 18 inch China.

Accessories include Pete Englehart agogo bells and foot-operated talking drum from www.b-radpercussion.com and LP plastic block foot pedal.

Hardware is mostly DW, Tama hi-hat stand with legs removed and custom fabricated cymbal stackers, bass drum cradle and foot percussion holder, Gauger aluminum RIMS mounts.

All heads are Remo Fiberskyn FAs batter and coated Ambassadors resonant. Bass drum head of Spirit Drums logo by www.drumart.com.

Sticks are wok chopsticks mostly, with Vic Firth brushes, Trilok Gurtu signatures, assorted mallets and plastic brushes and rutes.

Below are the three clips I have so far - the swing-type playing and a song we call James Bond in Matanzas. I was playing my left-foot clave rhythm and this keyboardist I play with started playing along. It's a rough first cut and we are going to refine it. Blue Veil is a song on the Hang Drum.

Attachment 20313

Attachment 20314

Attachment 20315






so effin jealous of the hang drum...so hawt
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 06-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Aydee and Gruntersdad, the cymbal with silver knob rivets on the wall is an ancient Ludwig hihat (the mate of this cymbal has no knobs). It makes a cool swishing sound when played in hats, comparable to a ride cymbal with rivets.

The thing with jingles to the lower left of the Ludwig cymbal is a standard hihat jingle ring.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 09-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Here is a recent recording of my set. The song is in rough mix form and is not included; this is just the drum track and it has not been EQ'd or messed with. Some specs on the recording from the engineer:

Kick: Sennheiser e9032, dynamic on reso head. Slightly altered kick eq, bump at 200 hz and 3500 hz, with mild opto compression. Shure Beta 52 on batter.

Snare: Shure SM57, dynamic. Std snare eq, up slope 4db at 4000 hz, panned 4 degrees to listener's left.

Snare resonant: Audio Technica AT25 clip condenser. Same eq, 8db bump at 500 hz, panned 4 degrees to listener's left.

Toms: AT35 clip condensers. 4db up at all freqs, 4db dip to 0 at 550 hz, panned (respectively) 15 degrees left and right.

Overheads/cymbals: Studio Projects C4s, matched pair condensers with cardioid capsules. 4db drop 0 to 1700 hz sloping to 4db up at 18000 hz, panned (respectively) to 25 degrees left and right.

A 7 channels sent at 20% to Platinum reverb, 10% pre-delay and a level of only 14%. Adds air to match guide tracks without too much "shimmer."

Recorded through Mackie Onyx 1640 into Logic 9, no external pres or compression. Stereo roughs will be mastered through Waveburner with light compression and light dynamic limiting.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Red Dragon drum track 1.mp3 (5.14 MB, 687 views)
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 09-11-2009, 09:39 PM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,312
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

DMC, I gotta say the sound spectrum of your kit is the nicest I've ever heard on this forum. The tone of all the drums ( very well tuned too ) and all the cymbals are beautifully selected and the timbre of each piece is fantastic.
Nice playing too.
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 09-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
DMC, I gotta say the sound spectrum of your kit is the nicest I've ever heard on this forum. The tone of all the drums ( very well tuned too ) and all the cymbals are beautifully selected and the timbre of each piece is fantastic.
Nice playing too.
Thanks. I got some really great advice from MFB about how to improve the EQing and sound on the recording. The sound engineer is a drummer with a fabulous studio but he is learning the intricacies of miking drums and MFB is providing some great guidance.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 09-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Big_Philly
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Those are some really nice sounding drums! I love the sound of your bass.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com