Tommy Igoe

Stu_Strib said:
the swaying back and forth.

Whenever Im grooving and really getting into it I tend to bounce up and down

I just got this book/CD package and was a little bummed to find out that I needed the DVD too. Not that I really need the DVD for most of this stuff as it is fairly elementary, but I think as has been mentioned, that's the point. The play along CD is the best practice tool I have and a spectaculare reference book for a working drummer. The emphasis on groove and chart reading is particularly helpful for me as someone who has to fill a lot of different shoes on short notice. I highly reccomend this book to beginners/intermediates as well as those who may be advanced but don't have a good practice regimine. I like this a lot, and will just burn the DVD from netflix...

His Groove Essentials is quite good and enjoy his playing, but every picture I see of him makes him look like a huge tool. I'm sure it's not the case, but everyone I've shown the pictures to agree. Great player though.

Stu_Strib said:
Tommy Igoe

Anyone know anything about him as a person? I find his teaching style to be extremely good for begginers, but for me, it leaves much to be desired (higher intermediate, low end expert player). Maybe he'll do a more advanced dvd someday.

I think his groove essentials is a great idea for newer drummers, but I would like to see much more in an instructional dvd.

My wife couldn't stop making fun of him. I guess he's the quintessential band geek...not that that's a bad thing.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Tommy_Igoe.html

Hey Stu,

i ordered his dvd together with book and cd.I don't think this is for beginners.I'm usually a solid rock/pop/funk/Dance player :),and a few month i've been into jazz.But what's so cool about his dvd that he talks as if he's just right besides you and like you know him 5 years or so.Altho,i can play a little bit hip hip salsa or bossa,but soon i will be playing it like he does ;).Another good thing is the book.How many of you advanced drummers can read?I don't,exept for a little bit.That's also my goal.To understand the reading,learn to play for there.

And i don't want to step any drummer on his heals,but how many time i've heard that the drummer plays way to much for a song that it's completely annoying.To many fancy stuff.Those guys probably need to buy his dvd and get the BASICS of a groove!The swingfactor, the beat ! ;)I don't say you must shut up and play a siple BUM TEK BUM TEK all the time:) I find it always important if you do a break or have a fancy idea,just put it where it's capable of giving that little extra.

That's why i like players like the late Tony Thompson,Steve Ferrone,Manu Catché and Phil Collins.

this week i'm going through groove essentials. this morning i played a calypso for the first time. beautiful. thanks to Tommy. i noticed that while he shows the groove he doesn't stick to it as written (on the poster). he does subtle different things - different orchestrations. so that once you have the basic thing down you can explore what he was doing and try that out too.

if i meet him one day - and i encourage any of you who ever are lucky enough to meet him to do this too - i'm going to encourage him to make a groove eseentials 2. i'd like to see him cover: blues drumming, drum 'n bass, metal drumming and more jazz, more funk, more world beat and did i mention MORE JAZZ.

j

I bought the Book/CD combo and it's awesome.

I've been waiting to get the movie in from Netflix for a few weeks now...grrrrrrr.

Well I just got back from the States and I picked up his play along book with the charts and the .mp3s. I think this is a wonderful addition to the dvd (and you can get it along with the dvd, or without, if you already have the dvd).

For those of you a little disappointed with the Jazz section of the dvd, there are several more charts and tunes in this play along. I bought it mostly just for this section. It also includes a 30 minute long jazz section that starts slow (70bpm or so) and gradually increases up to 300+ bpm. That'll be a nice workout/warmup.

Some of the tunes are cheesy, some of the tunes are classy and some are just mediocre. But, they are all exteremely solid in time and musicality, so it is like playing along with a bunch of really strong musicians.

I just purchased the GE dvd.

I am hoping it will broaden my horizons.

Mike

Last night, i saw Tommy at Birdland, leading the big band, and he is a BEAST on those drums.

All of his accents sounded great because he wasn't in his own world while he played. He played the accents with the band and knew the music very well.

His fills were unbelievable and yes......he is very tall.

I heard a lot of his grooves that were similar to the book, so he does ad-lib a bit. But, it was great!

This guy was the MAN. Inspired me alot, his DVD was the first drumming one I saw, and is a lot of the reason I am still chugging.

Who says this is geared towards the beginner? Sure it can be, but practiced right, even advanced drummers can have trouble. Right now I am trying to perfect every groove to where I can play along in the pocket and add tasteful fills for every groove. It gets tricky, starting at the funk section, it is throwing me for a loop.

I think his groove essentials is a great idea for newer drummers, but I would like to see much more in an instructional dvd.
Groove Essentials is one of the best DVD's around (IMO) as far as gaining a solid foundation. No flashy fills or ridiculous meters/sigs to detract from its purpose which is to train the beginner in a variety of styles.

Brilliant DVD!

I bought the playalong book a few weeks ago... This is an extremely helpfull tool ! Real under-written professional charts, many different grooves, no click. I think Tommy Igoe doesn't lie we he says that this book will be a life-companion... There is practice material for years.
He's a very good drummer, a great educator... His playing and his positive attitude on the dvd is so motivating when you are a beginner.

I got his bundled "Get started on drums" DVD when I bought my very first drumset 2, 3 years ago as a complete newbie. I knew then he was a great educator whom I wanted to stick with. I was very glad to see his Groove Essentials release. I learned my Cha Cha and Bolero grooves from that DVD. His use of the hi-hat was the best I've seen so far (I was inspired to get the 13" K pair as seen in the DVD). I love his cowbell playing too. The Best Educator.

Groove Essentials is one of the best DVD's around (IMO) as far as gaining a solid foundation. No flashy fills or ridiculous meters/sigs to detract from its purpose which is to train the beginner in a variety of styles.

Brilliant DVD!

That was a really good statement. Although i do not have the DVD, i have been stickin with the weekly grooves over at vic firth, and all are pretty cool.

Also, the fact that they have the drumless play-along track is a really cool idea.

I got his bundled "Get started on drums" DVD when I bought my very first drumset 2, 3 years ago as a complete newbie. I knew then he was a great educator whom I wanted to stick with. I was very glad to see his Groove Essentials release. I learned my Cha Cha and Bolero grooves from that DVD. His use of the hi-hat was the best I've seen so far (I was inspired to get the 13" K pair as seen in the DVD). I love his cowbell playing too. The Best Educator.

Yes, yes, yes! Just got the Groove Essentials DVD and have fallen in love with his cymbal set-up. The hats and ride are magnificent. His hi-hat technique is stunning. Can you tell me the exact model of hats and ride he's using?

This guy is great. Great musician, nice friendly guy. I was on an organ trio gig with this great organist and sax player ( who is a great drummer also) and Tommy walked in with his family on Mother's day at this brunch gig. I recognized him imediately as we were playing and gave him a big smile from across the room but was also like "Oh shit! It's Tommy Igoe (made me a little nervous) and he smiled back and waved. I pretty much left him alone the whole time as him and his family sat down to eat but at the end we decided to try to call him up and at first he didn't want to, but then he came up and I switched the drums righty (I'm a lefty) and the sax player Danny called Moment's Notice pretty fast and Tommy played absolutely great on it and took a solo over a chorus or two and came right back in smoothly. Man, that's a hell of a tune to just call on someone and Tommy kicked it! He also played brushes on the whole tune which was pretty impressive. This was one of those joints that your too loud before you even set up! lol! We talked a little afterwards and he was on his way and we were done for the day. I reminded him that we had met before through a friend of mine that had studied with him and he remembered. Man, what a nice guy....

This guy is great. Great musician, nice friendly guy. I was on an organ trio gig with this great organist and sax player ( who is a great drummer also) and Tommy walked in with his family on Mother's day at this brunch gig. I recognized him imediately as we were playing and gave him a big smile from across the room but was also like "Oh shit! It's Tommy Igoe (made me a little nervous) and he smiled back and waved. I pretty much left him alone the whole time as him and his family sat down to eat but at the end we decided to try to call him up and at first he didn't want to, but then he came up and I switched the drums righty (I'm a lefty) and the sax player Danny called Moment's Notice pretty fast and Tommy played absolutely great on it and took a solo over a chorus or two and came right back in smoothly. Man, that's a hell of a tune to just call on someone and Tommy kicked it! He also played brushes on the whole tune which was pretty impressive. This was one of those joints that your too loud before you even set up! lol! We talked a little afterwards and he was on his way and we were done for the day. I reminded him that we had met before through a friend of mine that had studied with him and he remembered. Man, what a nice guy....

I love hearing stories like this about great players who are nice people. My drummer friends in New York are all freaking out about his band in New York, I'm definitely going.

Can anyone give me any feedback about Tommy Igoe's Great Hands for a Lifetime DVD in terms of a true beginner?

I literally just started learning the drums a few weeks ago and am doing everything self-taught for now. I have a kit and a drum pad and am doing a lot of basic stuff/beats (Rock Drumming System, Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials and Learn and Master Drums), as well as playing on the pad (rudiments which means just single stroke rolls for now..lol).

Will this DVD help me as a beginner to develop good habits early on or is this DVD more for a little more advanced beginners/intermediate players? Thanks!

Jonathan

yes the dvd is great for a beginner, although you need to work through it veeeery slowly :). a) some of the rudiments and combinations are advanced and b) although he always starts slow and explains everything in detail, as he goes along he speeds it up quite a little. It's not about speed as such, but an absolute beginner may be scared at times. Well don't be :).

Great DVD, and to add, I find Jojo Mayer's Secret Weapons a perfect companion to it, being more on the "technical" and "scientific" side of things. Those two DVDs complete each other nicely.

Back