DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 07-30-2008, 06:19 AM
MadMax

Default Where do you Rehearse and Why

I'm curious where you guys with bands rehearse, and why you rehearse there.

Right now my band is rehearsing at the bass players house. I want to rent a room, as does the lead guitarist. We rehearse Tuesday and Thursday, and I have to move my equipment each night, the room we want is $150 a month split between 5 people, we would have 24 hour access to the room and play as long and loud as we want. The best part is that everything would be ready to go, just walk in and play, no setting up or tearing down.

Our bass player is reluctant because he doesn't want to have to drive or pay his share which would be $30 a month. He also does not want to rehearse on weekends, (which would be easier for me), because he has another band he plays with on Sundays.

So for the time being we are stuck rehearsing at his house, let's hear from you guys.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:28 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Where do you Rehearse and Why

30 bucks a month is awesome for an unlimited access playing environment. i split 140 a month to play at my storage unit when ever i want. totally worth it to me, but i play everyday for a few hours, so its all subjective.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:42 AM
Gold Member

I play at my home.

Very convenient for me. I don't have to move my gear. And, I am located in the middle of the other band members.

Oh, and my wife is very cool!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

My bands typically rehearse where there's the most gear (my house). I play guitar and bass so the other players don't have to haul their amps around. Saves them hassle, saves me gas $$. One of my bands has a "practice space" where everything is already set up (kit, keys, bass, guitar, PA system). I just bring my cymbals, sticks, some water, and my notebook.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 07-30-2008, 09:08 AM

Right here beside me. I could post here on DW during rehearsal breaks. But I don't, I'm too busy telling the other guys not to mess up so much. Of course, I never mess up.
from your
tv set

Old 07-30-2008, 09:42 AM

My band rehearses in my brothers bedroom because theres enough space to put all the gear, all the other rooms are too small.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

My band rehearses in my room because that's where my drums are! We might find somewhere else if we get a new drummer since i suck.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 07-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Pioneer Member

We usually split the difference and go to each others house every few practices, that way we all have equal travel time.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 07-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Pioneer Member

For the past 5 years, all the bands I've been in have rehearsed at a rehearsal complex. Rooms rent for anywhere between 150-250 a month. Split between at least 4 people, it's not a bad deal. The convenience of being able to practice when and for how long you want is worth the money and the drive.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:56 PM
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthehero View Post
For the past 5 years, all the bands I've been in have rehearsed at a rehearsal complex. Rooms rent for anywhere between 150-250 a month. Split between at least 4 people, it's not a bad deal. The convenience of being able to practice when and for how long you want is worth the money and the drive.
I agree, but our bass player doesn't want to use gas, but it's ok for the rest of us to use gas to drive to his house, and he doesn't like the idea of paying to rehearse.
We can only rehearse on weeknights at his place because his weekends are tide up with working with his dj business and another band on Sundays.
We came up with a plan to pay for the room between the two guitarist and myself for the first month, and then work on him and our female vocalist before the next payment is due.
Having the convenience to rehearse whenever you want or to practice by yourself is worth the money.

Last edited by MadMax; 07-30-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:13 PM

at home in my small studio. it's the most laid back place for me...!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

in my living room....

why? cause i dont want to move my drum set around...so i make all of them move their amps to my house..haha

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 07-30-2008, 08:41 PM

My drum set and all my bands equipment is located in my grandfathers basement where we practice 5 times a week for about 5 hours a day.....my grandfather is the best a guy could have and is very supportive of my playing....then again he had to deal with my dad and his bands playing down there since the mid seventies so im sure he grew used to the noise....so i have the best practice space to hope for...its free and its comfortable....just sux lugging equipment out the basement to get to gigs
Old 07-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
I play at my home.

Very convenient for me. I don't have to move my gear. And, I am located in the middle of the other band members.

Oh, and my wife is very cool!
Your wife is cool and hot. You lucky boy. I no longer gig but I practice at home because I need to very much.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

I play with two bands. I shuttle my drums between three main locations. When I practice with the Blues band, I play in a 12 by 12 three season porch at the guitar players house (1/2 mile from my house) We all somehow manage to cram in there. When I play with The String Band (contemporary Bluegrass/Jam Band) We play in several locations. Sometimes at a farm in Oxford Connecticut (cows and chickens and crops,Corn and the like) and sometimes by the beach at the Connecticut shore in Madison. We sometimes practice outside (I like practicing outside the best). I privately practice at home in my MAN CAVE (my wife hates that word, that's why I use it often) I built a studio on the lower level of my raised ranch. I almost never leave there unless I'm working or practicing at the above local's. My TV, Fridge and computer are also there with my kit. The Blues Band gigs in clubs. The String Band Gigs at Hippy parties or at outdoor Festivals. I love my dual life, I love my fellow musicians. I love my Wife and Kids. I wouldn't change my life for anything! I enjoy this forum and all its members also. The Why part of the question? Why! Thats just the way that it is man. There is no answer.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 07-31-2008 at 03:04 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:02 AM
MadMax

You are one jolly fellow.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
You are one jolly fellow.
Yes I am! and I wish the same for you!

Last edited by bobdadruma; 07-31-2008 at 03:24 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:24 AM
jay norem

I have a large music room in the first floor of my old house. I have an upright piano, a (sort of) PA system, my computers, my digital keyboard that I use to compose on, plenty of music stands and of course my drums. There's also a bathroom down here.
It's very comfortable and we never bother the neighbors. But then, we play acoustic jazz so what's to bother?
The beer's always cold and the coffee's always fresh and hot! It's actually a pretty good sounding room too.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:28 AM

I met my bandmates in college at Tex. A&M, which is in the town of College Station. I its 1hr 20mins from here, we usually practice on Saturdays and have gigs on Friday and Saturday nights. So three (sometimes four) times a month I drive up there to practice or go to gig, hauling my entire setup in the back seat of my truck. It's a drive yes, BUT we make enough money as a band that the band's money pays for gas so I don't have to. We just take gas money right off the top before we split it.

Most people are suprised about the drive but I REALLY like playing in a band with these guys, they are the closest friends I have (besides my wife). Even if we weren't in band I would prob make the drive once everyother month just to hangout for the day.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I agree, but our bass player doesn't want to use gas, but it's ok for the rest of us to use gas to drive to his house, and he doesn't like the idea of paying to rehearse.
We can only rehearse on weeknights at his place because his weekends are tide up with working with his dj business and another band on Sundays.
We came up with a plan to pay for the room between the two guitarist and myself for the first month, and then work on him and our female vocalist before the next payment is due.
Having the convenience to rehearse whenever you want or to practice by yourself is worth the money.
Well, I'm sorry to hear that. I mean, I understand not wanting to spend money if you don't have to, but sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture. It sounds like your bass player is only taking his own situation into consideration.

He better be a damn good bass player.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:17 AM
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthehero View Post
Well, I'm sorry to hear that. I mean, I understand not wanting to spend money if you don't have to, but sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture. It sounds like your bass player is only taking his own situation into consideration.

He better be a damn good bass player.
Yes he is, and although he is a decent bass player, he could be replaced. He has two teenage boys living there, and I told him with school on the horizon I don't think rehearsing during the week at his house is a good idea. He's only looking at his having to drive and spend $30 a month, heck, he could skip one night out a month at a pizza joint and he'd have his share right there.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
My band rehearses in my room because that's where my drums are! We might find somewhere else if we get a new drummer since i suck.
haha eddie i love the ironic humor in the second sentence. if they got a new drummer you wouldn't be in that 'we' when looking for a new place to practice. hahaha, j/k. ...but seriously. lol
Old 03-18-2009, 02:52 AM

My bassist/singers basement....and its rough, moving my gear all the time, plus its an hour drive....My basement hasn't got enough room because my pool table takes a bunch up, and the guitarist has a garage but wifey said no....=(
Old 03-20-2009, 01:12 AM

With my Alternative band we rehearse in my living room twice a week. My metal band splits a warehouse with another local Metal band. It's got ice cold A/C, very SECURE, 24 hours, and it has room for 2 band's gear to rehearse comfortably. It also has a small 2nd floor with couches, chairs, a tv, playstation, etc. for friends and girlfriends to hang out while rehearsing is in action. Comes out to about 50 dollars per member, well worth it to me
Old 03-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT_Drummer View Post
haha eddie i love the ironic humor in the second sentence. if they got a new drummer you wouldn't be in that 'we' when looking for a new place to practice. hahaha, j/k. ...but seriously. lol
Nah actually i was gonna be the bass player since i'm a lot better on bass than drums. However we never did find any other members and we ended up ending the band.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

When I was in bands, we always had a rehearsal spot, and we always shared the rent.

The few times I was in between bands, one my first questions was does the band have a rehearsal spot. If the band was unwilling to go in on one, it means (to me) they're not that serious.

Now, I have my own studio at my house. I spend a lot of time/money making it mostly sound proof, but I can play it anytime I want, which is a true dream come true.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:

What? Maybe it's the way you word it, but your bassist sounds irrational. $30 is not going to impact his wallet even if gas is a concern. It sounds stupid.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:41 PM

my basement, no one bothers me and no one complains