DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-26-2008, 07:52 AM

Default Recording help

In the band I'm in I use one of the guitarist's electric kits so it's really easy to record. However I want to record on my actual kit seeing as its more familiar and has more variety. The thing is I have no recording equipment.

What kind of mics and mixer would you recommend? I'm looking for just some cheap but decent quality equiptment.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Recording help

well I don't want to sound short or rude, but there are quite a few threads already on this, most should be in this section as well, so just search around. I usually type a couple paragraphs in response and don't have the time for that at the moment, but if you look through those and want further information, feel free to ask.
but in short you'll need (as a minimal setup with much more limited editing capabilities):
mics and stuff:
2 overhead mics (NT-5, C1000, etc)
1 snare mic (SM-57)
1 kick mic (AKG D-112 if you can afford it)
cords and stands
actual recording stuff:
4+ channel mixer and a 4+ track recorder
-or for a more advanced and manageable setup-
8 channel firewire mic preamp (Presonus Firepod, Motu 8pre, or similar)
Recording software (Cubase, Logic if you have a Mac, Cakewalk, etc)

ideally you would have at least 1 mic for each drum plus the 2 overheads, but if you're on a budget, thats not always possible (you can get really cheap mic packs that have 7+ mics, but they sound worse than just using the 2 overheads, 1 snare, 1 kick). But the more mics you have, the bigger the mixer/preamp you need as well.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk9290 View Post
well I don't want to sound short or rude, but there are quite a few threads already on this, most should be in this section as well, so just search around. I usually type a couple paragraphs in response and don't have the time for that at the moment, but if you look through those and want further information, feel free to ask.
but in short you'll need (as a minimal setup with much more limited editing capabilities):
mics and stuff:
2 overhead mics (NT-5, C1000, etc)
1 snare mic (SM-57)
1 kick mic (AKG D-112 if you can afford it)
cords and stands
actual recording stuff:
4+ channel mixer and a 4+ track recorder
-or for a more advanced and manageable setup-
8 channel firewire mic preamp (Presonus Firepod, Motu 8pre, or similar)
Recording software (Cubase, Logic if you have a Mac, Cakewalk, etc)

ideally you would have at least 1 mic for each drum plus the 2 overheads, but if you're on a budget, thats not always possible (you can get really cheap mic packs that have 7+ mics, but they sound worse than just using the 2 overheads, 1 snare, 1 kick). But the more mics you have, the bigger the mixer/preamp you need as well.
i would also recommend a decent sound interface if you would like to utilize the editing capabilities of a recording software. like the m-audio fast track pro, or native instruments' ak (audio kontrol)

usb or firewire. does not matter which if you are not a strict pc user. usb is much more common and enables the user to be mobilized such as going to a friend's house to record his guitar partitions or maybe even playing live on stage and utilizing the wide variety of effects and samples if that pleases you. if you would prefer a physically stable system that you would only use for yourself and would not use anywhere else you could use a sound interface that is directly connected to the motherboard of your pc.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Gold Member

however, if you have firewire, go with that (usb 2.0 is also ok). regular usb 1.0 can't handle as many simultaneous tracks as firewire or 2.0, so you'll be disappointed. firewire is also more reliable and better for audio transfer.

as for the interface suggestion, I agree in some regards, but they run up the cost and don't do too terribly much until you start spending $500+. They make editing a bit easier, but if you have to scrap anything out of the whole setup, make it the interface.
However, if you get a ProTools system (more pricey, but far and away the best recording software/hardware packages for PC, and arguably for Mac as well, though Logic is pretty solid), then you will need an audio interface, and here is where you run into the more advanced stuff.
For drums, you will need more than the two mic inputs that come on all interfaces less than $800. However, if you go with a digital preamp that has something called ADAT outputs, and you get an interface like the M-Audio FW1814 then you'll have the functionality of the 8 mic preamps and the 2 mic inputs on the interface.
But for the most part, unless the software requires a interface (like Pro Tools does) then its not immediatley advantageous provided you get a digital firewire or usb preamp. And having the ADAT outputs on the preamp is invaluably handy for expanding your rig later.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk9290 View Post
however, if you have firewire, go with that (usb 2.0 is also ok). regular usb 1.0 can't handle as many simultaneous tracks as firewire or 2.0, so you'll be disappointed. firewire is also more reliable and better for audio transfer.

as for the interface suggestion, I agree in some regards, but they run up the cost and don't do too terribly much until you start spending $500+. They make editing a bit easier, but if you have to scrap anything out of the whole setup, make it the interface.
However, if you get a ProTools system (more pricey, but far and away the best recording software/hardware packages for PC, and arguably for Mac as well, though Logic is pretty solid), then you will need an audio interface, and here is where you run into the more advanced stuff.
For drums, you will need more than the two mic inputs that come on all interfaces less than $800. However, if you go with a digital preamp that has something called ADAT outputs, and you get an interface like the M-Audio FW1814 then you'll have the functionality of the 8 mic preamps and the 2 mic inputs on the interface.
But for the most part, unless the software requires a interface (like Pro Tools does) then its not immediatley advantageous provided you get a digital firewire or usb preamp. And having the ADAT outputs on the preamp is invaluably handy for expanding your rig later.
i totally agree with hawk9290. not to confuse or dissapoint you but when you start planning to get into recording your music, you suddenly realize that there is a whole different universe unfolding in front of your eyes with endless combinations of gadgets and devices so it could be rather difficult to decide whether to choose this or that equipment should i go for the cheaper or the costly one, which one has more performance, would i be growing my rig so should i consider a gadget with more expandibility so on and so forth.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the quick responses.

I was more or less hoping recording would be easier but I suppose theres just too much stuff going on. I shall think about this more and decide in the near future.

Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_qtip View Post
Thanks for the quick responses.

I was more or less hoping recording would be easier but I suppose theres just too much stuff going on. I shall think about this more and decide in the near future.

Thanks again.

Recording isn't easy, which is why I'm about to embark on a three year degree in music technology! There are far too many variables to consider; but the basic skills remain the same regardless of technology and will hopefully remain so. I suggest some reading and practical experiment before you plunge head-first into full blown recordings. There is so much more to it than simply putting a microphone in front of a drum kit and pressing 'record'. I'm not going to go into phase cancellation, standing waves, bass cut, low-pass filters or anything like that - it generally puts people off!

However, recording, editing and releasing your own music is one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever undertaken and am eventually hoping to land a job in the industry; it's what I love doing.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:10 AM
Platinum Member

Hey, another recording drums post! :P

I just had the chance to try out the Audix I-5 microphone. I used it side-by-side with a shure SM-57 on a few snare drums. This mic sounds absolutely amazing! Audix microphones are known for being pretty aggressively EQ'ed for specific applications. If you want a more versatile mic, go with the SM-57, but if you want a rockin' mic for your snare drum, you should check it out. It costs the same as the SM-57 too!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 07-29-2008, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
There are far too many variables to consider; but the basic skills remain the same regardless of technology and will hopefully remain so. I suggest some reading and practical experiment before you plunge head-first into full blown recordings. There is so much more to it than simply putting a microphone in front of a drum kit and pressing 'record'.
Yeah I know what you mean but I'm not sure how much about this I'll learn from reading. I might scout about ebay and find some cheap equiptment to mess around with before deciding I want to continue recording with all the expensive gizmos and whatchamacallems.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_qtip View Post
Yeah I know what you mean but I'm not sure how much about this I'll learn from reading. I might scout about ebay and find some cheap equiptment to mess around with before deciding I want to continue recording with all the expensive gizmos and whatchamacallems.
Get "Home Recording for Musicians for Dummies." It's really useful, and will help you do everything yourself. Plus it's written by a drummer, so he goes really in depth on recording drums specifically.