DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Default Recording Ocheltree Snare and Pearl Reference (lots of pics)

Hopefully the title serves as a teaser.

Well, on Thursday the 24th I spent the day doing the first recording session for my band's debut album. We are lucky to have two members doing a uni degree in popular music production and have access to professional recording studios as part of their degree, and as such, used it to our fullest advantage.

I ended up tracking 7 songs in total - 5 completed originals, one song that will involve programming and will be more of an interlude/ambient track and a cover of Massive Attack's 'Tear Drop', which will also have drum programming.

Well, enough crapping on, I suppose you all want to hear about the kit.

The university recently purchased a Pearl Reference kit for recording and seeing as I only have an Export we decided to book it out for the session. I got in there the night before and replaced the heads with new Remo coated Ambassadors over clear on the toms and an Emad kick with no reso skin. I stretched the heads over night and in the morning tuned them up. Overall I was pleased with the kit - it was a pleasure to play and tuning was awesome. Though if you look closely on the reference badge it says "made in Taiwan"... and there lies the reason I would rather get a DW collectors or Sonor SQ2/Delite.

The snare I hired from a company called the Drum Cartel, who are based in Brisbane. If anyone on the board is from Queensland or Australia in general and are looking to hire gear for recording or touring give the Drum Cartel a look. The snare only cost me $75 for 3 days hire - way better than Billy Hydes will it do it for you.

The snare itself is a Jeff Ocheltree "Phantom" cast 14x6.5 carbon steel snare - number 117 of 500 made. This thing is LOUD! But in saying that it is also an incredibly beautiful, expressive snare with a huge tuning range and very responsive - it sounds just as good lightly tapping it as it does playing slamming back beats. I'd suggest keeping young children away from it if when you are playing rim shots. I had a Remo Coated Emperor over a SS Ambassador with a bit of tapping too. I know - I really didn't want to tape it but in the end I think it helped the overall sound.

Now - the two things you were after the entire time...

Specs:

Pearl Reference in Rhythm Blue with chrome hardware
10x8
12x9
14x12
22x18

Jeff Ocheltree "Phantom" cast 14x6.5 carbon steel snare, finished with nickel coating (which has tarnished - this drum was on tour with Karl from Kisschasy for 6 months and the bastard decided to sweat all over it)

PDP SX 14x5.5 all maple snare with maple hoops - Remo CS black dot over stock reso

Cymbals:
(left to right in pictures)
10" Sabian Radia Splash
16" Paiste Signature Full Crash
14" Zildjian Avedis Brilliant New Beat Hats
8" Zildjian A Custom Splash
10" Paiste Bell (cut down Sound Reflector Crash)
18" Paiste Signature Full Crash
10" Zildjian A Custom Splash
18" Paiste 2002 Full Crash
21" Sabian HHX Dry Ride
20" Sabian HHX Chinese
19" Paiste New Signature Dark Crash MK1
20" Paiste Signature Reflector Dry Ride
19" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid China

Hardware:
Pearl Eliminator Double Pedals
Pearl H-1000 HiHat Stand
Pearl Stands, clamps and arms.

Mics: (full list to come)

Kick in - Audix D6
Kick out - AKG D112
Snares - Shure SM57
Toms - Sennheiser 421
Overheads/Hats - Neumann 184
Ride - (...)
Room Stereo mics - AKG C414
Room mono - Rode Classic
Cupboard mic(...)

And now for the pictures (more to come when I get them from the other guys):

As for the audio, it'll be a few months before the tracks are mixed and probably December until we have them mastered and fully finished. As soon as I have something to show I'll post it. In the meantime enjoy.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Recording Ocheltree Snare and Pearl Reference (lots of pics)

Pretty sharp man! Lots of wires and cymbals too LOL..

I see this often in many studio pics... there is usually a beach towel or blankets covering the kick mic and the front bass drum head.. why do they do that? (I'm sure it's some recording technique??)
Old 07-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Well, two reasons.

i) Prevent any reflected sound coming into the back of the capsule that would be out of phase. This would be particularly prominent with a bass drum as the sound is very obvious.

ii) More importantly, mic bleed. The bass drum can bleed very seriously into the other microphones on the kit and if you want isolation (as many do) of the separate parts, it needs to be prevented. I don't necessarily think bleed is an issue, it can make the whole kit sound much more 'together' but sometimes it is preferable for the isolation to occur - particularly if you're editing the sound heavily.

Beautiful kit and lovely cymbals by the way. AKG 414's? Lucky people, very lucky indeed...
Old 07-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Silver Member

MFB hit the nail on the head. We put the towel over the kick mainly for bleed issues. I was really happy with the sound we pulled from the kick. With the Emad batter head and pillow inside I was worried it would be too muffled, but the combination of the Audix D6 and AKG D112 gave a good mix of punch and warmth. The Rode Classic also added a nice roomy element to the mix. Those wood floors are awesome to record on - first time I've recorded on wood and I loved it.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

That looks like a snake pit!

Georgeous set up! Ditto on the wood floors. I almost sold a kit but changed my mind after I recorded it on wood floors.

What snares do you have on the Ocheltree?
Old 07-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Silver Member

For the life of me I can't remember the name of them but were damn serious snare wires
Old 07-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Very Cool!

I will add some insight tho the blanket question.

The lower frequencies that a bass drum produces require a longer time / distance to fully develop. A standard technique to capturing the fully developed bass drum sound is to build a tunnel, in this case it is made out of a moving blanket. some use a cardboard box, others line up bass drum shells. The net result is a fully developed bass drum sound.

Many engineers place multiple mics for the bass drum, on the back to capture the initial impact, inside to capture what would be the initial tone and out front as I already said.

These can be mixed together on unlimited ways to create the desired sound.

Cant wait to hear some mixes!
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 07-27-2008, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

It's nice to see a kit that looks like the cymbal placement/layout has been though about closely. I'm not sure if this is the case but it looks like your cymbals are set out in a very particular way.

Anyway nice kit.

Tom
Old 07-28-2008, 12:47 PM
fusssion

Fantastic!! WOW! Very nice......question....12x14 floor? Looks like a 14x14 in the pics
Old 07-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Silver Member

You know looking at the pictures it could well be - I don't know for sure as it's the uni's kit and I'm just going off general reference shell pack specs. 12" or 14" it sure sounded deep, the mahogany really adds depth to the drum.

Thanks for the compliment drumbandit. I guess I haven't put a lot of conscious thought into cymbal placement, but everything that is there is there for a reason and set up as it is for a reason.

The crash cymbals go from left to right in descending pitch and increasing size - something I never really intended but makes a lot of sense. the 16" full crash is mainly played by my left hand as an quick bright crash, when I want an accent but don't want the same volume as my other crashes. The 18" full crash is my work horse crash - if I use two crashes at once this one is always involved so it was important that it blend well with all my other crashes. The 2002 full is my mid-pitched cymbal, it complements the signatures incredibly well and rides beautifully. The 19" dark energy is the dark knight - a crash I use only when I want some serious body. By itself it's the darkest and warmest crash in my arsenal, and it's lower pitched blends perfectly with both the signatures to create a full bodied, bright yet warm crash. I love using this cymbal to come in choruses and solos - anything that requires a step up in energy and volume has this cymbal's name on it.

The Splashes I've arranged from low to high to mid. The 8" and 10" A customs are my main splashes which I use by themselves. The Radia is really an effects accent, it has a really unique dark and dry tone that isn't applicable in many situations so when I do use it it's paired up with the 10" A custom or part of a splash fill (think Jose from Incubus - I've been influenced a lot by his splash work).

The Paiste ride and Zildjian aren't usual fixtures in my setup but I incorporated them for the session to give me a wider sound palate. The HHX is the darker ride out of the two, and has recently just replaced the Paiste dry as my main ride. I love the warm dry tone and crashability it offers. On the recordings the Paiste was mainly used in quieter more ambient sections, though there is one song which has a key change in the last chorus which I emphasised by crashing on the ride. Big big sound but it worked in the context.

Lastly the two chinas are much the same. The HHX is explosive - a huge trashy china that is perfect for crashing, accents and riding on. The Zildjian is higher pitched and doesn't have as much body as the HHX and is better suited for accents with the snare.

Well that's about it - it's taken me about 3 years to get my setup to where it is now, lots of experimenting and stealing ideas off my favourite drummers and just seeing what works for me. I really wished the kit had another floor tom I had to get creative with some of my fills and overall I think i need a lower pitched tom. Not to mention the 2nd ride and china look ridiculous out there by themselves.