DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-14-2008, 04:57 AM

Default Heads to Achieve This Sound...

I've been looking to replace my stock tom heads recently, but I've had no luck in figuring out what's right for me. To be honest I don't really know what bright, warm, focused, open, etc. really mean.

Anyway, fortunately I have an example of how I want my toms to sound. Hopefully you guys can help me out after you listen...

I know it's heavily produced and what not, but that's more the sound I'm trying to find. Right now my toms are kind of booming with a long sustain and an annoying ringing sound to them. Anyway, thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 drums.mp3 (468.7 KB, 186 views)
Old 07-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Heads to Achieve This Sound...

you should be able to get a sound like that with most any head. they sound like clear, not coated. and if your toms are ringing to bad get evans ec2 or remo pinstripes those will naturally muffle that overtone a little bit. this is all my basic knowledge on the subject nothing more.

anyone who knows better feel free to correct me.

by the way those terms... bright, warm, focused, open, etc. mean exactly what youd think they do. go to a music store and play around with their drums and cymbals. youll hear ones that are bright, dark... open, focused... youll see.

if you are wanting that specific sound out of your toms, take them to guitar center when you get new heads and ask them to tune them. let the guy listen to that track and they will get them sounding as close as they can. i have always found the drum guys at my GC to be really cool and helpful guys... so much so that we go see each others bands all the time and i favor my man steve when i buy there and give him my sales so he get the commissions.

good luck man i hope i helped,
taylor
Old 07-24-2008, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Heads to Achieve This Sound...

I have spent many an hour with my drum key and my toms. I have tried many head combos and tensions over the years. When I mic and record my drums I can EQ them to sound many different ways. The most important thing that I've learned is that your drums sound different to you when you sit on top of them than they sound at the seats in the club. I recommend buying a drum dial. Try tuning at different tensions. Have a friend play them while you stand back and listen to your drums. You will be shocked at how different they sound when you are farther away. The room that you are in also plays a major roll on how your drums sound. I always have to "Fine tune for the room". You will find your sound by experimentation like this. Drums are the hardest inst. to mic. When you go to a club you may have noticed that the sound engineer always checks the drums first. That is because they take the longest to equalize properly in the venue.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 07-24-2008 at 03:04 AM.