DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-03-2008, 04:42 AM

Default kick mic help please

hey, i was wonderin about a couple of kick mics ive been looking at buying and have heard good things about. between the audix D-6, the seinheiser evolution e902, and shure beta52, wats the best bang for your buck? is one better for recording than the others? please help out, thanks
Old 07-03-2008, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: kick mic help please

That's a very difficult question. They are all the same price, and are all excellent mics (kind of eliminates the bang for your bucks factor). It will also be hard for anyone to give a valid opinion unless they have had a lot of experience with each of them, not likely. MFB might have a good opinion, but I doubt he's used all three. Do we have any long time sound engineers in the house?

Old 07-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Platinum Member

go to a music store, hook those puppies up and see which one you like the most!

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 07-03-2008, 04:55 PM

don't have a sound engineer in the house im afraid (hoping to be one tho). ill guess ill go to a few music stores and compare them. any more suggestions would still be helpful tho. thx guys
Old 07-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

All are good quality microphones and all of them will yield excellent results if used correctly. If price is the main concern, go for the chepaer of the three. My preference is the Audix D6; but they're all very good.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayrecording View Post
don't have a sound engineer in the house im afraid (hoping to be one tho). ill guess ill go to a few music stores and compare them. any more suggestions would still be helpful tho. thx guys
LOL, I meant any sound engineers here on drummerworld. =)

Old 07-03-2008, 11:21 PM

ahaha alright. cool thx. ive heard audix D-6 is sweet but some ppl in recording say its not the greatest studio mic
Old 07-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

I think the D6 has quite aggressive EQs built into it, making it good for live sound but not so good in the studio, unless clicky is your thing. I've never used the Sennheiser, but the Beta52 is a decent and reliable mic. Maybe not very characterful, but that's no bad thing when you're dealing with bass.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
I think the D6 has quite aggressive EQs built into it, making it good for live sound but not so good in the studio, unless clicky is your thing. I've never used the Sennheiser, but the Beta52 is a decent and reliable mic. Maybe not very characterful, but that's no bad thing when you're dealing with bass.
I vote for the D-6, hands down. It's not "clicky", in my opinion, but full sounding and gives a lot to work with. The Beta 52 is a bit drab for my tastes, and the Sennheiser doesn't capture all of the frequencies that I would like to boost.

I went to an Audix clinic and talked to one of the representatives when the D-6 had just came out. I asked about the difference between the D-6 he was pushing and the AKG D112, which I already had. He looked around really quick, leaned in close, and whispered, "just roll off the D112 with a tight Q at around 1K, and it's practically the same thing." I went home and tried it, and it sounded great.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 07-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Platinum Member

I recently got a Shure Beta 52A on Craigslist for $120 but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I vote for the D-6, hands down. It's not "clicky", in my opinion, but full sounding and gives a lot to work with. The Beta 52 is a bit drab for my tastes, and the Sennheiser doesn't capture all of the frequencies that I would like to boost.

I went to an Audix clinic and talked to one of the representatives when the D-6 had just came out. I asked about the difference between the D-6 he was pushing and the AKG D112, which I already had. He looked around really quick, leaned in close, and whispered, "just roll off the D112 with a tight Q at around 1K, and it's practically the same thing." I went home and tried it, and it sounded great.
The EQ tip makes a lot of sense. What I've heard of the unprocessed D6 seemed much more 'focussed' then the D112; which seems otherwise, like you say - there's probably too much 1K there. On the other hand, I don't know if you're familiar with the D112 studio trick of actually using it backwards? I've read on the Internet in a few places that if you place the D112 with the hyperbola BEHIND the capsule pointed at the source then in a good room the sound is far superior.

Wondering if you could confirm that with an experiment? I don't have a D112 to hand. Incidentally I used an ancient D12 a few years ago and I actually thought it was a better microphone. It has an elaborate shock mount built into the capsule and is much less susceptible to floor rumble and accidental knocking of the stand. Another nice microphone.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangleman View Post
go to a music store, hook those puppies up and see which one you like the most!

Alex
Preferably, take your bass drum along with you as well....as it is all about the sound you want to get. I use D112s myself.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 07-19-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayrecording View Post
hey, i was wonderin about a couple of kick mics ive been looking at buying and have heard good things about. between the audix D-6, the seinheiser evolution e902, and shure beta52, wats the best bang for your buck? is one better for recording than the others? please help out, thanks
They're all good mics for BD. I think the D112 is probably the most popular, so if you want universality, it's that or the beta 52. I have an e602 which is kinda EQed for a particular sound already and I think the D6 is too. It's cool if that's close to the sound you want since it's less tweaking. I chose it over the D112 and beta 52. You really gotta hear them. Don't let price decide for you, they're all close. Go for the sound you want. You'll be happy in the end.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

I have a D112 and I love it.

It's sounded great in every room, and is great in the studio (no matter how good or bad) too.

I also really like the Audix D-6.

The Beta 52 is "popular", but it's a pretty lifeless sound IMO, pretty dull sounding--"drab" as caddywumpus put it.

I guess sound guy's (& some so-called) like it because it gets a decent sound without any real hassle--that'd be my guess, but it's sound is lacking, and is real noticeable when I use MY D112, and then they put the Beta 52 on the other kicks at the multiple band shows.

Just my .02

Check your options and see what you like.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

I have the D6, I agree with most of what's said here. The click can be mitigated with EQ easily. I also have the tragically discontinued ATM 25, which is also very good, more natural sounding. The ATM can be used on a ton of sources other than kick, I hear them called the poor man's 421.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Pioneer Member

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the D112. I bought mine under the recommendations of the fine folks here. With the proper EQ and gate it sounds fantastic live.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Pioneer Member

I have a Beta 52A and a D112. I like the D112 much better. I get a rounder boomier sound with it. The Shure mic was OK, but sounded thin compared to the AKG.

The Yamaha Subkick has been the best investment yet. It needs to be run in conjuction with a regular mic, but that thing really brings the bass drum sound to life. The low end is awesome.