DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-08-2008, 07:41 AM
rabbit behind drumset's Avatar
rabbit behind drumset rabbit behind drumset is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: college park, MD (just outside washington DC)
Posts: 9
Default can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

huh huh.. huh huh... uh....

ugh- but seriously, just wanted to pass something along. I've had a problem with coated snare drum batter heads forever. if it's something like a coated emperor, I'm done with it in as little as one show. the coating starts chipping (and the response and sound suffer as a result), or it gets pock marked. I don't hit really hard all the time, but I do hit really hard sometimes. I also use these regal tip sticks that are practically drum corp thick and have friggin' marble-sized nylon tips.

I've tried emperors, ambassadors, evans G2 coated, aquarian new orleans, and finally ended up using aquarian high energy heads. instead of a coating, they have that rough mylar film that kinda emulates a coated sound or whatever. that stuff is tough enough that you didn't need the power dot that's in the center. since the head is effectively 3 feet thick with the dot and is not the brightest, most sensitive thing, I used to peel the dot off and get a nice, ringy result.

problem is, over time, I started feeling like the aquarian high energy is just a little too dead, even with the dot peeled. so now I'm using one of the evans EC2 coated heads and it's *really* nice. it has a translucent coating on it and the thin metal pinstripes and power disc in the center. it takes a hellacious beating and it's much more sensitive on quieter stuff than the aquarian.

if you're a snare head thrasher, the aquarian high energy and evans EC2 coated snare batters are good bets. got any other recommendations?

"ack just saying"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-08-2008, 07:52 AM
crdirtRider856's Avatar
crdirtRider856 crdirtRider856 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: southern new jersey
Posts: 563
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

Have you tried Remo's Emporor X? I am on a budget and have tried many heads that will withstand a beating but still sound good and this has been very durable. Also, what kind of snare are you playing? Do you have this problem with your other heads?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Skitch's Avatar
Skitch Skitch is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,737
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

I never worry bout the coating chiping off; I care about the sound. I use Remo Coated Ambassadors and the coating on the snare batter eventually wears off. I couldn't care less; it is that sound that I am after, not the drumhead's appearance.


Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Philippe's Avatar
Philippe Philippe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 146
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

try the new aquarian snare, I'd say it's the most durable 1 ply head on the market.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Skitch's Avatar
Skitch Skitch is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,737
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
try the new aquarian snare, I'd say it's the most durable 1 ply head on the market.
I have never used an Aquarian head that I cared for..........they were just a waste of my money in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Philippe's Avatar
Philippe Philippe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 146
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
I have never used an Aquarian head that I cared for..........they were just a waste of my money in my opinion.
try them again! I thought so too but I changed my opinion. they're new coating is superb, best on the market. my 2 cents of course.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Bernhard's Avatar
Bernhard Bernhard is offline
Founder Drummerworld
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Riehen - Basel - Switzerland
Posts: 2,069
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit behind drumset View Post
.... the coating starts chipping (and the response and sound suffer as a result), or it gets pock marked...
If the coating starts chipping there should be no sound suffering, except for Brushplaying.

But anyway: can you show a picture of your Snarehead - there normally you can see much about the technic used - displacement of the sticks - nice rounds or spread all over the place?

Also normally the heaviest strokes are rimshots, so not killing heads.

Bernhard
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-08-2008, 02:12 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

Round tipped sticks + a heavier hitter = dimples ....

as for the coating, ...not too sure ....

Skitch, ...the Texture Coated snare head from Aquarian is awesome,...try that one or the Texture Coated w/ a power dot ...you won't be dissapointed
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-08-2008, 06:29 PM
rabbit behind drumset's Avatar
rabbit behind drumset rabbit behind drumset is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: college park, MD (just outside washington DC)
Posts: 9
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdirtRider856 View Post
Have you tried Remo's Emporor X? I am on a budget and have tried many heads that will withstand a beating but still sound good and this has been very durable. Also, what kind of snare are you playing? Do you have this problem with your other heads?
ANY remo head- emperor, emperor X, coated pinstripe, does not matter. remo heads are not built to take it if you're a harder-than-average hitter. as for my snare, it's a premier signia maple 5.5x14- but the drum doesn't matter. I've destroyed the same head whether it was on that drum or one from any of the sets I've owned.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-08-2008, 06:31 PM
rabbit behind drumset's Avatar
rabbit behind drumset rabbit behind drumset is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: college park, MD (just outside washington DC)
Posts: 9
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

[quote=Skitch;456620]I never worry bout the coating chiping off; I care about the sound. I use Remo Coated Ambassadors and the coating on the snare batter eventually wears off. I couldn't care less; it is that sound that I am after, not the drumhead's appearance.


Mike

I'm not talking about appearance either. coated heads are not just coated for looks- that coating very much shapes the sound and, if enough of it chips off and you keep hitting it in that same area, it *definitely* takes some of the high frequencies and attack away.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-08-2008, 06:35 PM
rabbit behind drumset's Avatar
rabbit behind drumset rabbit behind drumset is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: college park, MD (just outside washington DC)
Posts: 9
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
I have never used an Aquarian head that I cared for..........they were just a waste of my money in my opinion.
ironic, considering that aquarian makes one of the two snare heads I've found that can take a beating and still sounds good in the process. and the kick drum heads they make, like super kick II and III blow stuff like remo power strokes out of the water. at least aquarians are durable. I'd say the waste of money is buying heads where the technology hasn't changed to meet the demands of changing styles- like remo. and keep in mind I'm ONLY talking about snare heads. I use remo pinstripes on my toms without a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-08-2008, 06:45 PM
rabbit behind drumset's Avatar
rabbit behind drumset rabbit behind drumset is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: college park, MD (just outside washington DC)
Posts: 9
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
If the coating starts chipping there should be no sound suffering, except for Brushplaying.

But anyway: can you show a picture of your Snarehead - there normally you can see much about the technic used - displacement of the sticks - nice rounds or spread all over the place?

Also normally the heaviest strokes are rimshots, so not killing heads.

Bernhard
hi bernhard, I have no pic of a damaged head to show as the one currently on my snare is fine. the point behind my post was not so much that I'm damaging these heads and need to find a solution, but that I *have* found a couple that *do work* for me (evans EC2 and aquarian high energy) and just wanted to share that info with other heavy hitters.

and I respectfully disagree that the coated coming off doesn't chage the sound. I believe it robs a little high end and attack- especially if you're hitting it in the same place the coating is chipping off.

I tend to hit about 2-3" off center and generally stay in the same place. I'm 41 and have been playing since the age of 3 (and in bands since 14). I play rock- but it's not totally loud metal. I think my issue is that, although I employ dynamics and sometimes hit very softly, I also hit really hard and am currently using really thick sticks (regal quantum 7000) because the wider the stick, the less the tendonitis in my right hand acts up. those regal tip 7000s are great because they're fat but light.

anyway, I've written a book here. thanks for the advice :)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-08-2008, 07:54 PM
bonzolead's Avatar
bonzolead bonzolead is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clarkston,MI.
Posts: 2,200
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

You got to learn to get the volume out of your kit without killing it plain & simple.yes it can be done.Bonham in his later years learn that and he was one of the most powerful drummers of all time.once you learn that your heads and cymbals will thank you.

Keep Swatin'
Bonzolead
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 PM
rabbit behind drumset's Avatar
rabbit behind drumset rabbit behind drumset is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: college park, MD (just outside washington DC)
Posts: 9
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
You got to learn to get the volume out of your kit without killing it plain & simple.yes it can be done.Bonham in his later years learn that and he was one of the most powerful drummers of all time.once you learn that your heads and cymbals will thank you.

Keep Swatin'
Bonzolead
thanx bonzo. I'm very good at getting a lot of volume out of the kit without hitting hard. I know each drum's "sweet spot" and I only ever had trouble with the snare. I've occassionally pocked a tom head but it's rare and not until they're pretty old. ..and I haven't broken a cymbal in years...

I think my issue is more along the lines that I've always gravitated towards sticks with serious nylon beads for tips. I used to have a ride that didn't have much definition and started using sticks that would bring the ping out a little more.

in any event, I really don't have the issue with coated or pocking the snare anymore. as I posted earlier, my real point was to just put it out there that I've found a couple heads that are particularly durable and one of the 2 (the evans) does a good job of sounding thin/has better sustain but stands up to some serious thwacking.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,433
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

The problem is the sticks, not the heads. The tips are too big. A 3/4" stick is meant to be played with marching heads. Remo Falams could handle those sticks. Sticks that size aren't practical on the drum set. I played a 3/4" stick (about 2 pair's worth) before comming to grips with the reality that they just destroy heads and cymbals unless you play softly all the time. Great comfort and ease of play due to 3/4" thickness, but energy saved manipulating them was stored and when unleashed caused too much damage.

I would look into a better sounding tip on a thinner stick and then wrap the stick for more diameter. If you can't stand wrapping a stick, Vater might have a 3/4" stick with a more civilized tip. I think 3S is gone, maybe 'Nightstick' or something now.

Pictured below left is Vater 3S, middle is Quantum 9000 (.700) and right are custom 3/4" sticks I had made .

3S has civilized tip, but weight still did damage. 9000's tip is what you have on 7000 and this size tip is not practical for playing dynamically on a drum set, everything is in loud mode, even playing quietly. OK if that's what you want. The custom sticks were way over-powered, too much holding back involved, they would destroy anything when you stepped on the gas, like driving a pro funny car on the street, not practical.
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-08-2008, 08:58 PM
bonzolead's Avatar
bonzolead bonzolead is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clarkston,MI.
Posts: 2,200
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit behind drumset View Post
thanx bonzo. I'm very good at getting a lot of volume out of the kit without hitting hard. I know each drum's "sweet spot" and I only ever had trouble with the snare. I've occassionally pocked a tom head but it's rare and not until they're pretty old. ..and I haven't broken a cymbal in years...

I think my issue is more along the lines that I've always gravitated towards sticks with serious nylon beads for tips. I used to have a ride that didn't have much definition and started using sticks that would bring the ping out a little more.

in any event, I really don't have the issue with coated or pocking the snare anymore. as I posted earlier, my real point was to just put it out there that I've found a couple heads that are particularly durable and one of the 2 (the evans) does a good job of sounding thin/has better sustain but stands up to some serious thwacking.
I wasn't. trying to be mean,and yes if your tips on your sticks look like big marbles you will put dimples in any head if you hit it hard enough.IYO what been the best head you've tried out? Just curious, I too have been playing since I was 4 been playing bars & clubs since I was 15 and i'm 37 right now Pops got me started early he a drummer also.My 10" tom on my small kit goes though hell and it looks like it.I'm a REMO guy but if you found something better i'll give it a try at least once.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-08-2008, 09:06 PM
bonzolead's Avatar
bonzolead bonzolead is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clarkston,MI.
Posts: 2,200
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
The problem is the sticks, not the heads. The tips are too big. A 3/4" stick is meant to be played with marching heads. Remo Falams could handle those sticks. Sticks that size aren't practical on the drum set. I played a 3/4" stick (about 2 pair's worth) before comming to grips with the reality that they just destroy heads and cymbals unless you play softly all the time. Great comfort and ease of play due to 3/4" thickness, but energy saved manipulating them was stored and when unleashed caused too much damage.

I would look into a better sounding tip on a thinner stick and then wrap the stick for more diameter. If you can't stand wrapping a stick, Vater might have a 3/4" stick with a more civilized tip. I think 3S is gone, maybe 'Nightstick' or something now.

Pictured below left is Vater 3S, middle is Quantum 9000 (.700) and right are custom 3/4" sticks I had made .

3S has civilized tip, but weight still did damage. 9000's tip is what you have on 7000 and this size tip is not practical for playing dynamically on a drum set, everything is in loud mode, even playing quietly. OK if that's what you want. The custom sticks were way over-powered, too much holding back involved, they would destroy anything when you stepped on the gas, like driving a pro funny car on the street, not practical.
you are correct sir. maybe instead of a 3S size maybe he should try a 3A similar tip and not as beefy I use that size if all I want to do is be loud usually I use Mike Portnoy's sign. stick 420 it's a little lighter than a 747.it's the most versital stick i've found and we play play everything from Van Morrison to Green Day.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-09-2008, 04:52 AM
rabbit behind drumset's Avatar
rabbit behind drumset rabbit behind drumset is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: college park, MD (just outside washington DC)
Posts: 9
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

thanks for the opinions, everyone.

I'm sort of painted into a corner with these regal tip 7000s 'cause the skinnier the stick, the more the tendons at the base of my right thumb get wacky on me. can't use much of anything thinner than a 2B. the tendon thing doesn't happen when I practice, but when you have the adrenaline (and maybe a couple beers) in you during a live show, it flares up. it gets to the point where I feel like I can't grip the stick and it's gonna fly. the 7000s are perfect because they are logs and yet they're pretty light. if I choke up on 'em, they weigh nothing.

hey bonzolead- if remos work for you, you're set. if you feel like getting adventurous, try one of the evans EC2 coated heads. it's a translucent clear coating and it has these really thin metal pinstrpes and a disc in the center. google it up- I don't know if drummerworld is cool with links. guess maybe I should read the rules :)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-09-2008, 06:01 PM
drumtechdad's Avatar
drumtechdad drumtechdad is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anytown, USA
Posts: 1,107
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
Round tipped sticks + a heavier hitter = dimples ....
Truth. Also, gouged nylon tips = chipped coating.

For the OP: my kid had a problem after he started playing with a drumline--after the corpsmasters he couldn't control 5Bs on the drumset. He tried a lot of sticks, finally settled on Promark 747Bs. Might be worth a try for you, and the tips won't dimple your heads.

For myself, I'm just a sissy, 5Bs feel like telephone poles to me. ;-)

Last edited by drumtechdad; 07-09-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-09-2008, 06:08 PM
drumtechdad's Avatar
drumtechdad drumtechdad is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anytown, USA
Posts: 1,107
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit behind drumset View Post
ANY remo head- emperor, emperor X, coated pinstripe, does not matter. remo heads are not built to take it if you're a harder-than-average hitter. as for my snare, it's a premier signia maple 5.5x14- but the drum doesn't matter. I've destroyed the same head whether it was on that drum or one from any of the sets I've owned.
Not doubting you, but how to explain this?



From my son's kit. This remo coated amb is over 1 year old. Kid uses 747Bs, practices daily and plays out with a rock band unmiked. He hits the everlasting aspirations out of this drum.

Given that I've used coated ambs for decades with no coating problems, I have had to conclude that premature coating wear has to come from excessive stick angles, using chipped tips or gouged nylon tips, or mass hysteria. ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-09-2008, 07:01 PM
bonzolead's Avatar
bonzolead bonzolead is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clarkston,MI.
Posts: 2,200
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit behind drumset View Post
thanks for the opinions, everyone.

I'm sort of painted into a corner with these regal tip 7000s 'cause the skinnier the stick, the more the tendons at the base of my right thumb get wacky on me. can't use much of anything thinner than a 2B. the tendon thing doesn't happen when I practice, but when you have the adrenaline (and maybe a couple beers) in you during a live show, it flares up. it gets to the point where I feel like I can't grip the stick and it's gonna fly. the 7000s are perfect because they are logs and yet they're pretty light. if I choke up on 'em, they weigh nothing.

hey bonzolead- if remos work for you, you're set. if you feel like getting adventurous, try one of the evans EC2 coated heads. it's a translucent clear coating and it has these really thin metal pinstrpes and a disc in the center. google it up- I don't know if drummerworld is cool with links. guess maybe I should read the rules :)
Thanks R.B.D. i'm just about in need of a new snare head i'll give the EC2 a try is it thin like a ambassador?I don't. like thick heads on a snare really chokes them out.thanks for the info.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-10-2008, 01:46 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,433
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit behind drumset View Post
thanks for the opinions, everyone.

I'm sort of painted into a corner with these regal tip 7000s 'cause the skinnier the stick, the more the tendons at the base of my right thumb get wacky on me. can't use much of anything thinner than a 2B. the tendon thing doesn't happen when I practice, but when you have the adrenaline (and maybe a couple beers) in you during a live show, it flares up. it gets to the point where I feel like I can't grip the stick and it's gonna fly. the 7000s are perfect because they are logs and yet they're pretty light. if I choke up on 'em, they weigh nothing.

hey bonzolead- if remos work for you, you're set. if you feel like getting adventurous, try one of the evans EC2 coated heads. it's a translucent clear coating and it has these really thin metal pinstrpes and a disc in the center. google it up- I don't know if drummerworld is cool with links. guess maybe I should read the rules :)

When you employ fingers predominantly (French, American grip ) the larger the stick (to a point) the easier it is to manipulate. My technique is designed to let me to utilize three grips with comfort and ease (French, American, German) with German being used the least.

Problem with hefty sticks is, since they move so easily, the work gets switched to stopping the rebound, which is the direct opposite of the normal procedure of strating the stroke. When taking photos (above) I tried my custom 3/4" sticks and was reminded of how easily they play, and how the 'work' then became controlling the massive logs rebound.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Skitch's Avatar
Skitch Skitch is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,737
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
try them again! I thought so too but I changed my opinion. they're new coating is superb, best on the market. my 2 cents of course.
No thanks....I will stick with what works for me - Remo Ambassadors!


Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Skitch's Avatar
Skitch Skitch is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,737
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

[quote=rabbit behind drumset;456726]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
I never worry bout the coating chiping off; I care about the sound. I use Remo Coated Ambassadors and the coating on the snare batter eventually wears off. I couldn't care less; it is that sound that I am after, not the drumhead's appearance.


Mike

I'm not talking about appearance either. coated heads are not just coated for looks- that coating very much shapes the sound and, if enough of it chips off and you keep hitting it in that same area, it *definitely* takes some of the high frequencies and attack away.
Take a look at Earl Palmer's snare drumhead some time - hardly any coating left!


Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Vipercussionist's Avatar
Vipercussionist Vipercussionist is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rhode Island (USA)
Posts: 742
Default Re: can no snare head withstand my mighty stroke?

Just a few things I've experienced over the years . . .

- - - - - - - - - - -

1) If you're hitting so hard as to cause pain, you are hitting too hard. Simple but true. You won't have much fun, OR a very long career if you continually hurt your body to do a gig. There WILL be a point where you will NOT be able to gig as a result.

My current gig is due to JUST that! The drummer that was in the band before me was BRUTAL in his attacking the drums. He played his entire life never having to get a day gig but as he got to his 40's it was getting to a point where he was having trouble holding the sticks, it got progressively worse as time went on because he never tried to adjust his playing style to accommodate the aging human body's shortfalls. His hands are now effectively crippled and he can't gig at all, I KNOW you don't want THAT!!

You are flesh and blood, maybe not right away, but you WILL break down, and you might NOT be able to be fixed! You can't simply just go to the local parts store and replace a tendon or such if it's damaged beyond repair. SRS BZNS!!

You MUST get your body under control because it could seriously impede your ability to continue, INDEFINITELY!!

- - - - - - - - - - -

2) Check your "swing" on the way you hit your snare drum, are you avoiding the rim altogether? If you are "Ashtraying" the head, chances are you are hitting it with JUST the tip of the stick and not incorporating a rimshot into your backbeat. That means that ALL of the impact and rebound is going to YOU and your wrist.

If you are already incorporating a rimshot into your backbeats, you may have to learn to adjust the impact to better balance between the head and the rim to absorb the impact better, some time in the woodshed will help with this.

A rimshot with the backbeat will usually be much louder giving your backbeat more command with less effort and impact to your body, and even more to the point, it spreads the impact to two places, the rim AND the head. When properly balanced between those two points the grip end of the stick will not get nearly the transmitted impact as if you struck JUST the head with the tip.

Hope this helps!

EDIT:
Also, do you use slippery sticks??? I had to resort to using Regal Tip sticks due to the coating they use, I really LOVE Vater sticks, but their LACK of a coating was too slippery for my hands and I was gripping the sticks so hard that I was cramping up just into the first set from gripping them so tightly. Also that additional tightness in my grip allowed MORE shock to transmit to ME which was unacceptable.

Your grip should be sure but loose, if you are gripping too tightly it will, of course, effect the transmission of shock and also could make the smooth flow of your playing harder to achieve.
__________________
Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace

Last edited by Vipercussionist; 07-19-2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: OH YEAH, I forgot this!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com