DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-12-2008, 12:17 AM

Default Reso head for Ludwig Kick

I have a Ludwig Classic Maple Kit. The Bass is a 22" X 14". I need more boom.!!! I put an eq3 (should have gone eq4) on the batter but the reso is still a "Ludwig" coated Batter with a port in it. I have to put a towel for a descent tone, and i'm not getting the boom I want.....

What is a good reso head that will allow me get big boom, and also let me loose the towel? I thought about getting an eq4...and switching the two around to see what sounds best...only thing is if the eq3 ends up on res side..its all marked up! Can I put the holz thing on a 2 ply head...PLEASE HELP>>THE BAND WANTS BOOM!
Old 07-19-2008, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Reso head for Ludwig Kick

Don't set your standards high with a 14" depth bass drum. A popular combo with the EQ3 is an EQ3 reso. I personally use the EQ3 with an Aquarian Regulator with a port hole, and I like it. You just have to experiment with tuning, and remember that tuning the reso head is just as important as the batter head.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Reso head for Ludwig Kick

I've got TONS of Ludwig kits (vintage and non-vintage) with kicks ranging from 20 to 28in, and this is my experience with aiming for booming Bonham style bass drum tone. No, it's not an exact copy of what Bonham might have done, but my personal tweaks on the idea.

Yeah, lose the towel, I personally hate having to readjust things inside a drum every time I set up.

I've used cotton balls in my kicks for a long time now, never any muffling except a flap like the Remo Powerstroke and Evans EQ heads have today, and the LEAST amount of a flap you can get away with! The more flap you use the LESS the batter head reso's and it has to work WITH the reso head, it doesn't work by itself!

The cotton balls just kind of float around on the bottom and control the "BOIOIOING bouncing basketball tone" without actually hitting/muffling the heads so much. About 4 or 5 handfuls or so should do it depending on the size of the kick drum.

Also, if you can, lose the hole in the reso head. it will certainly make for more BOOM!
If soundmen give you any guff just tell them "you're an artist, and you need your tone". That will usually raise the eyebrows enough to quiet them down without confronting them into an argument about it.

Also, SOMETIMES the drum will perk up with just a PINCH more tension on the heads, it'll raise the pitch JUST a bit, but it sometimes finds the "sweet spot" that the drum naturally has and it will then kill a charging rhino at 50 paces.
L0L!! Works for me anyway!

Have FUN!!
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace