DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Njdrumma's Avatar
Njdrumma Njdrumma is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 79
Default Fast Pedal

Hello i would like to know if the Tama Iron Cobra Power Glide Single Pedal is better than the DW 9000 and if it is faster.
Ive been listening to alot of gospel chop style stuff and i want to get into fast double kicks and triplets with one foot and so on.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Tylerdrums109 Tylerdrums109 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Bedford Massachusettes
Posts: 321
Default Re: Fast Pedal

Its all personal preference...for some the iron cobra's feel heavy (i own them and i disagree) i haven't used the DW's but many swear by them...but on the other hand most iron cobra endorsers say the same thing about their pedals...try and find a way to try them out at a local drum shop or something...but they are both great pedals so in the end ur still getting a wonderful kick pedal no matter what u go with....good luck in chosing
__________________
Kit: Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Fusion =]
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Ironcobra's Avatar
Ironcobra Ironcobra is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,209
Default Re: Fast Pedal

Both are great, but the DW's are WAY overpriced. They are basically the same pedal, only personal preference will determine which is better. The Cobra feels a bit bulkier and solid than the DW's in my opinion, but the DW's feel more expensive, if you know what I mean.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Green_Shoes's Avatar
Green_Shoes Green_Shoes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 437
Default Re: Fast Pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njdrumma View Post
Hello i would like to know if the Tama Iron Cobra Power Glide Single Pedal is better than the DW 9000 and if it is faster.
Ive been listening to alot of gospel chop style stuff and i want to get into fast double kicks and triplets with one foot and so on.
The pedal is partly to help fast feet but also your foot is the main part. I can go just as fast on my DW 9000 as on a cheap no-brand base pedal on my church's second kit.
__________________
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Njdrumma's Avatar
Njdrumma Njdrumma is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 79
Default Re: Fast Pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shoes View Post
The pedal is partly to help fast feet but also your foot is the main part. I can go just as fast on my DW 9000 as on a cheap no-brand base pedal on my church's second kit.
Wow u must be really good. The pedal Im using is a Pearl stock pedal. It feels very heavy and i can play fast on it but it does start to feel very heavy and i get tired very quickly. It also dose not seem to respond very quickly to my feet.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-18-2008, 04:58 AM
Gyrefalcon Gyrefalcon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 113
Default Re: Fast Pedal

No such thing as a fast pedal, unless electronics are involved. Try them out in a store, get whichever one feels more comfortable. If you go in thinking that you will play faster with one though, you will be disappointed.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Thrash Drummer's Avatar
Thrash Drummer Thrash Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 232
Default Re: Fast Pedal

There aren't any electronics out there that make you play faster. Lighter pedals and high spring tension however do(can) facilitate speed.

Anyway from my experience the iron cobras are rather heavy and I find it easier to go faster on a DW 5000. The 9000 feels a bit heavy as well. I think the DW8000 combines the cam of the 9000 with the lightness of the 5000 making it the ideal pedal for this situation.
__________________
myspace.com/restamongruins
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Green_Shoes's Avatar
Green_Shoes Green_Shoes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 437
Default Re: Fast Pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njdrumma View Post
Wow u must be really good. The pedal Im using is a Pearl stock pedal. It feels very heavy and i can play fast on it but it does start to feel very heavy and i get tired very quickly. It also dose not seem to respond very quickly to my feet.
Haha, wouldnt stay I'm good. Anyway, try loosening up the spring and also what i did about to build up just my endurance was whatever rhythm i was play (this was only in practise) play the base drum the same time i played the hi-hat and then once i could do that for like 10 mins straight (really hurt at first as the muscles build up) then play quavers on the base pedal to crochets on the hi-hat. Does that make sense?
__________________
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Green_Shoes's Avatar
Green_Shoes Green_Shoes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 437
Default Re: Fast Pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash Drummer View Post
There aren't any electronics out there that make you play faster. Lighter pedals and high spring tension however do(can) facilitate speed.

Anyway from my experience the iron cobras are rather heavy and I find it easier to go faster on a DW 5000. The 9000 feels a bit heavy as well. I think the DW8000 combines the cam of the 9000 with the lightness of the 5000 making it the ideal pedal for this situation.
I would argue that lower spring tension increases speed as you have more control and it is easier to play dynamics on the base drum. Yes, the DW 9000 does weight a ton to carry around but to play is a light as anything i've played.
__________________
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-18-2008, 10:47 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,293
Default Re: Fast Pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shoes View Post
I would argue that lower spring tension increases speed as you have more control
I'd agree with that. Its a big myth that higher spring tension increases speed. There are enough speed demons on both sides of the argument.

Bass drum speed has so many more variables within foot technique that spring tension, or any equipment related issue would hardly make a significant difference, .............unless your pedal is a real dud.

I'm used to a mid spring tension , and I tried going higher and lower, and nothing much changed in terms of speed.

I'd again agree with Green Shoes, in that a looser tension creates more control ( given my foot technique), but its something I'll have to get used to.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Pedro Pedro is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 618
Default Re: Fast Pedal

I think doing triplets and stuff is possible with many pedals.
I used to play with AXis, did triplets a lot, it was quite easy with it.

Then I played on DW5000....first even doubles didn't work......after playing a while I even can do triplets.

Then I again switched to Axis....and still triplets possible.

So I think the triplets and doubles will work with the Cobra as well, being a high quality pedal....sometimes it's just a matter if technique.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com