DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-14-2008, 04:49 PM

Default Synchronized Light Show

I would like to have a strobe light flash every time I hit the bass drum. I hear that something called a color/light organ will convert the sound to light but I fear that it will miss activate when the bass guitar plays. I trigger my kick so is there something I could plug into my sampler that would cause a strobe light to flash every time my kick is triggered?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Synchronized Light Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash Drummer View Post
I would like to have a strobe light flash every time I hit the bass drum. I hear that something called a color/light organ will convert the sound to light but I fear that it will miss activate when the bass guitar plays. I trigger my kick so is there something I could plug into my sampler that would cause a strobe light to flash every time my kick is triggered?

Axis pedal and an E Kit. The trigger action is completely mechanical and immune to crosstalk, double triggering, duct tape, or trigger fatigue and when set up correctly, only fires at the exact-moment beater hits the head.

Sold seperately as the 'E-kit' which, If you feel you couldn't make work, you could send it back.

http://www.axispercussion.com/contact.html
Old 07-16-2008, 01:15 AM

I'm already triggering with a clip on trigger, the axis & Ekit would just be another way of triggering, but I still need to know if I can attach some sort of light controller to my sampler.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:48 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Some older lighting boards have MIDI in functionality as well as their usual DMX outputs. This was specifically designed for this reason - so MIDI can trigger lights. You just have to look for the right desk. I'm not a lighting expert at all; so I'd suggest that you ask someone who is - but I know it's possible. You'd have to run the MIDI output from your sampler into the lighting desk for it to work. So it would go; Trigger>Sampler>Lighting Desk/PA. At the final stage you'd have to use a different output from sampler into the PA and a separate on into the lighting desk.

I'm no expert, so anybody - feel free to correct me.

I think I've seen this done with separate Piezo triggers for the lights as well - so effectively two sets of triggers. This method wouldn't necessarily involve a lighting desk as long as the voltage from the Piezo was set up in a relay to any light you may use.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I think I've seen this done with separate Piezo triggers for the lights as well - so effectively two sets of triggers. This method wouldn't necessarily involve a lighting desk as long as the voltage from the Piezo was set up in a relay to any light you may use.
I always hear people talk about that being a possibility, and that in theory it should work, but i've never seen it tried. If anyone can report a success I would appreciate as well, but to continue the line of no results- in theory it should work without the lighting board.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:58 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

A mate of mine did this a few years ago - a friend of his who was a dab hand at electronics set it up; but not having any real electronics expertise per se, I can't say precisely how he did it.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Silver Member

Funny you should ask this. A few years ago the band I was in had a keyboardist who was a bit smarter than your average guy. We had a light set and as you know, alot of lights are activated(or can be) by sound. I wanted the one light to go bright and change colors with my snare. So he took out the sound activator out, rewired it to a mic by my snare. Not the main mic but another one that could be turned on and off and it worked! It was nt affected by anything but my snare and it really worked well. I ll see if I can get ahold of him and find out how he did it. By no means the "pro" way but worked just as well.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:00 PM

It seems that higher end controllers have mic inputs and sensitivity thresholds for light activation off of those mic signals. Some also have midi inputs which would work with the trigger. I'm trying to find a good controller I can afford, otherwise I might as well run it through the soundboard. If I had my own controller, it would decrease setup time.
Does anyone know of any small controller that I could use? or is it a better idea to run through the light guy.