DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-30-2008, 01:52 AM

Default stick problems

for rock playing i tried vater power 5aN and loved them but the problem was i broke them every 5 seconds so i went back to power 5bN which feel too wide for me.
my question is does anyone know a stick similar to the vater power 5aN that is stronger?
Old 05-31-2008, 06:38 PM

Default Re: stick problems

Red Drummer, There's a few typers of stick that are pretty mch unbreakable. They're call fibre sticks and i think there's like carbon sticks or something too. The last a REALLY long time. i'm pretty sure aquarian makes some too. Check out Musicians Friend and some drum shops around you.

Hope i could help!!

--Simon
Old 05-31-2008, 06:50 PM

I don't think the problem is the sticks. I would change your setup. It sounds like your hitting the cymbal edges or hitting rims too much. My sticks last about 3 weeks and I hit HARD! I had this problem and just changing my setup stopped the stick problem.

You can get diffrent sticks with diffrent woods or metal sticks but if your breaking stick and you get a harder stick then something has to give! Breaking sticks is better then heads,cymbals and rims!
Trick PRO1-V and Axis - pedals
Old 05-31-2008, 07:50 PM

It could be any number of things. How are you hitting your hi-hats [i.e. are they too high?] and your cymbals [angle and height]? Also, how's your grip? If you have the right grip the sticks can absorb the shock of rimshots and such much better... [see Jojo Mayer]
Old 06-18-2008, 07:25 AM
Silver Member

Definitely check your approach to playing, especially the cymbals. Check out the tips on Zildjian or Sabian's sites, they will give you tips for hitting cymbals that will prolong both stick and cymbal life, as well as make things a little easier on your hands. Also, make sure you aren't gripping the sticks too tightly. It's always a temptation when we play loudly, but it isn't necessary. Your grip should always be totally relaxed, even when you're using it to slam down some rimshots.

That said, sticks do break. Just the frequency with which you have experienced them breaking is alarming, which is why we are all jumping to technique. Once you've addressed those issues, if your stick life still isn't good enough (although it should improve drastically) then it's time to change sticks. I agree with the suggestion of CarboSticks- I tried them and we never really clicked, although they do hold up well. Also check out the Pro-Mark Japanese Oak sticks. Oak is denser than standard hickory, so it offers a heavier, more durable alternative. I use oak 5As for their weight, which just feels better to me than hickory (or maple, even less dense than hickory).
Old 06-29-2008, 12:03 AM

As everyone has said, check the cymbal angles, they really make a difference. I sliced a stick in half once because i had my ride cymbal pretty high, and i went to hit it quite fast. It depends how you hit the cymbal i guess. I'm no expert, but i always thought that cymbals that were pretty much flat, and not tilted, increased the chances of the cymbal cracking, as well as the stick.

I use vic firth 5a's and i am a hard hitter naturally. I do a lot of rimshots too and things like that. Ill go through a pair of sticks every couple of months (when practice is pretty much every day, and usually lengthy). They last pretty well i guess, and im guessing thats down to how i play the kit as apposed to the stick itself.

My Band
Old 06-29-2008, 05:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asht89 View Post
I'm no expert, but i always thought that cymbals that were pretty much flat, and not tilted, increased the chances of the cymbal cracking, as well as the stick.
That's true. If you hit the edge of a cymbal, with the stick perpendicular to it, you're harming both. Also you get less sound out of the cymbal. You should always strike at a downward angle.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauk View Post
That's true. If you hit the edge of a cymbal, with the stick perpendicular to it, you're harming both. Also you get less sound out of the cymbal. You should always strike at a downward angle.
You should always strike with a "glancing blow". It allows the cymbal to absorb and disperse the shock better, as well as activates more of the overtones (makes it sound fuller/bigger).

Well, actually, there are a million and one ways to strike a cymbal, each one giving you a different sound. Explore them and utilize them to the extent of your musical imagination. But also realize that if you consistently use the straight-on approach to hitting your cymbals, they will break prematurely. So will your sticks. Oh, and if your grip is tight on the stick, eventually the damage will catch up with your hands/wrists and put an end to your drumming career.

Happy drumming!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 07-14-2008, 08:11 PM

The biggest thing for me was lower my h-hat. I almost found the flaw in my game by accident.

My band had a song and we had these 32nd notes with these off beat snare patterns in there and I really struggled playing this part of the song. So I lowered my hat just a bit and that really seemed to help out. After dallying around during sets raising and lowering the hats, I just decided to keep it at the level that allowed me to play our most difficult songs and all of a sudden I found I wasn't rushing to the Music Center every week for a new pair of sticks.

I always keep my cymbals at the proper angles and try to never hit on the edges....as the poster before me said, 'glancing blows' is the pefect way to think about it. If you follow that rule, your sticks and cymbals will go longer...and let me tell you, when you're paying 300-400 for a cymbal you want it to last. And sticks.....will surely add up after a while.