DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-14-2008, 04:34 AM

Default late 60s Sonors: Vintage A's or Clear Controlled Sound?

i'm tempted to revert to the clear controlled sound batters since that's what came with my kit when i bought it (used) from its original owner and i see lots of vintage kits still using them, but after seeing the Vintage A's, i am really curious how they are since the advertising says they're reminiscent of calf heads that were originally used on vintage kits and well, they're not called "vintage" for no reason;)

any users have opinions on the Vintage A's, alone or in comparison to the Clear Controlled Sounds?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: late 60s Sonors: Vintage A's or Clear Controlled Sound?

As are the words from Remo themselves..."Vintage A the head that changed the world in 1957! Constructed of 2-ply 7.5- and 3-mil polyester film, this drumhead changed the art of drumming around the world as the first successful alternative to calf heads." ...This head was the original Ambassador. They're called "vintage" because Remo later changed the Ambassador head to a single ply 10-mil. Evans "actually" invented the Poly drum head in 1956, so from their perspective "they changed the world of drumming". Nothing wrong with running clear CS heads (one of my favs, actually), but not a very vintage look or sound with those. Your kit probably came originally with coated or smooth white single ply Ambassadors (by late 60's, Remo had stopped making the 2 ply Ambassador).