DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 AM

Default Evans G2 Coated

Sorry if somebody already posted a thread like this, but here goes.

With G2 coated, what type of sound will I get with a G2 coated as a reso also? What about with a coated G1? And also, how much difference would it make if I were to use a G1 or G2 clear for resos?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Evans G2 Coated

G2 coated batter has a warm and controlled tone with a pretty birght stick attack. Warmer than in clear version and slightly more focused than G1. Good for batter, esp on larger toms. For an 8 or 10" I'd pick a G1 coated. Note that thicker heads need to be tuned higher to open up, so you can actually tune the G1 lower than G2 which will grant a lower, warmer fundamental but also a more open tone! Tuned low, G2 coated is very dull and flat.

As a reso, G2 coated will be very short and warm to the point of no resonance, but you can get some life back with a thin batter. G2 coated on both sides is pretty much dead (might work on an 18" tom though). G2 clear reso is a great choice for floor toms, shortening and lowering the sustain, but for rack toms I'd pick a G1 clear reso. Another option is G1 coated reso on all toms which is kinda between G1/G2 clear as far as sustain goes (but warmer!). Check evans chart on tom reso's but overall, a thicker reso will have bigger impact than a thicker batter.

And yeah, reso's do have a big impact on overal resonance. My thinking is to keep both batter & reso relatively close, meaning that if you need more control of overtones, do not only change batter but also reso. A heavily muffled batter with a stock reso will have a very dull attack with annoying resonance. Also, make the distinction between small and large toms. They need a different approach to sound good together.

If you're going for coated heads, I suggest remo. I have both and evans coating is much smoother. Remo has a rougher surface and will grant a warmer, more natural tone. I use this (notation = batter/reso) which gradually keeps sustain under control as size grows:

10x9 coated 1 ply / clear 1 ply
12x10 coated 2 ply / clear 1 ply
14x12 coated 2 ply / clear 2 ply
16x14 coated 2 ply / clear 2 ply

As an alternative I'd use the same reso's but clear 2 plies batters on all toms.

Last edited by MadJazz; 04-09-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Im afraid I cant beat that responce........

good stuff MadJazz

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 04-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
Im afraid I cant beat that responce........

good stuff MadJazz
Hehe thanks. I have been experimenting lately and finally found my sound. Sharing my experience might help you all. Just don't get discouraged if you buy a head and the drum doesn't sound as described in the marketing catalogue.

A short example: from what I've read I tought a G2 coated would be the ideal head for me: warm and controlled. When I've put them on the 14-16" toms, they sounded horrible! Very dry and dull attack with an annoying ring. It was even worse than the coated ambassadors before! So I got into experimenting and found out that a) the batter was too loose and b) the resonant head (clear ambassador) was too thin for such big drums.

To cut the story short, don't be afraid to experiment. I got into such extremes as having pinstripes on bottom and clear single plies on top. People would condem me but it sounded good. :-D More importantly, it allowed me to understand the relations between heads.
Only believe your own ears. And I can't stress this enough: resonant heads do matter! The correct reso's form a solid basis from which you can experiment with different batters. I don't understand why people limit themselves to stock reso's and complain their drums ring no matter what they put on top, hehe ;-)
Old 04-14-2007, 12:39 AM

I wouldn't recommend using G2 coated on top and bottom. I personally use G2 coateds on top and G1 clears as resos. I use pretty small toms, and they sounds pretty good, just tuning is a pain.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:28 AM

I was using G2 clears (I have a PDP CX Maple set just for reference) but decided that I wanted a warmer more controlled sound, so I ended up getting some Coated G2s, and figured I'd try putting G2 clears on as resos (since I was still using stock resos at the time). The sound I got out of it was just very dead, and I defiantly had a really tough time trying to tune the things (I'd imagine G2 coated would be worse), so I ended up putting the stocks back on and it sounded better. Since then I've put G1s on as resos and I've found that to be a good combination if you just want a good warm tone without a lot of sustain to it. I think what Mad Jazz said is right on the money from what I've experienced, and I'm not 100% sure if I like the coating on the evans either, it 's a lot smoother of a coating. And just like with what Mad Jazz said the coated head generally will need to be a bit tighter.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:56 PM

I agree with MJ on the G2's, BUT! since I just acquired my Yamaha Tour Customs things have changed. I didn't like these G2's on my Stage Custom set as much as pinstripes, these tour customs are easy. Some may not like the sound of these 60degree edges, I find them to be great to my ears. I'm using the stock reso's and after some experimenting I'm glad I kept the G2's tucked away in the closet. Hey Mad have you tried G2's on this new yamaha set? If you can let me know what you think, I find them so warm and at the same time rockable if you just hit them harder. I like these Tour customs, but like I said some may not...........

Old 04-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hey Mad have you tried G2's on this new yamaha set? If you can let me know what you think, I find them so warm and at the same time rockable if you just hit them harder. I like these Tour customs, but like I said some may not...........
I have beech customs, not tour customs. I find that the room you're playing in has the biggest impact on sound. In one room the heads sound as I described, in another they sound too open, too airy which makes it difficult to play fast or precise patterns.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJazz View Post
I have beech customs, not tour customs. I find that the room you're playing in has the biggest impact on sound. In one room the heads sound as I described, in another they sound too open, too airy which makes it difficult to play fast or precise patterns.
Doh, I understand what your saying. I was only asking if you tried the tour customs out since they have bearing edges that are a little different.................

Good Day.............
Old 06-29-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJazz View Post
I use this (notation = batter/reso) which gradually keeps sustain under control as size grows:

10x9 coated 1 ply / clear 1 ply
12x10 coated 2 ply / clear 1 ply
14x12 coated 2 ply / clear 2 ply
16x14 coated 2 ply / clear 2 ply
This thread is exactly what I was after :-)

So MadJazz, are you basically saying that 10" and less toms are best with 1 ply coated Batters and 1 ply clear reso's? So basically Coated G1 batter's and Clear G1 Reso's?

And that anything above 10" would be better off with 2 ply coated batter's (i.e Coated G2's) and 2 play clear resos (i.e Clear G2's)?

Because I recently bought a 12" G2 to test on my 12" rack tom and it sounds very good indeed, but I think there is still room for improvement and you reckon that a Clear G2 on the reso would be the best combo?

Adam x

- Kit! -
Old 07-13-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessdude16 View Post
This thread is exactly what I was after :-)

So MadJazz, are you basically saying that 10" and less toms are best with 1 ply coated Batters and 1 ply clear reso's? So basically Coated G1 batter's and Clear G1 Reso's?

And that anything above 10" would be better off with 2 ply coated batter's (i.e Coated G2's) and 2 play clear resos (i.e Clear G2's)?

Because I recently bought a 12" G2 to test on my 12" rack tom and it sounds very good indeed, but I think there is still room for improvement and you reckon that a Clear G2 on the reso would be the best combo?

Adam x
He said for all rack toms, use a 1 ply head, but for floor toms, it wouldnt be a bad idea to try the clear 2 ply (for reso)