DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-08-2008, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

Default Plastic tips softening

Does this happen to anyone else? I've noticed some of my plastic tips changing sound. Like a wood tip, if you roll them a certain way, they're softer or louder. I like the softer sound but it's hard to control.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Plastic tips softening

I like a softer sound too which i why i switched to wood tips.
I al ways noticed that my nylon tips were getting softer after alot of use and the softness would only be on one side so i could never control it.

But if it has to be a nylon tip then i suggest looking into regal tip drum sticks.
especially these type of tips http://www.regaltip.com/phpshop/htdo...-seriessticks&
Old 07-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the input. I am playing ProMark and Regal Tip. Is there anyone who makes a softer plastic tip, closer to wood? I like the consistency and durability of plastic but sometimes I want a softer sound. Any advice?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Regal Tip 'E' Series if they still make them are supposed to be a compromise between wood and plastic.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Thanks for the input. I am playing ProMark and Regal Tip. Is there anyone who makes a softer plastic tip, closer to wood? I like the consistency and durability of plastic but sometimes I want a softer sound. Any advice?

Coat wood tips with clear nail polish. Min of 2 coats. Durable, not a harsh sounding as nylon tips.

You know the nylon from the nylon tips is wearing-off, getting swiped onto your heads and into cymbal grooves. The tips are loosing material, becomming thinner, softer.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Regal Tip 'E' Series if they still make them are supposed to be a compromise between wood and plastic.
They still make them. I have several pair. The tip has grooves in it to give it a little cushion.

I'm not sure how much fingernail polish is coming off onto your cymbals Les, but I think maybe a dip into some urethane clear would be much better. However, the thin coat of any of these will be on your cymbals regardless.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Coat wood tips with clear nail polish. Min of 2 coats. Durable, not a harsh sounding as nylon tips.

You know the nylon from the nylon tips is wearing-off, getting swiped onto your heads and into cymbal grooves. The tips are loosing material, becomming thinner, softer.
Normally you have very good advice but I think in this case the nail polish would gum up the cymbals and drums - no?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Normally you have very good advice but I think in this case the nail polish would gum up the cymbals and drums - no?

Its understandable you have little, or maybe even no experience using nail polish, its pretty durable stuff. Wood is not unlike a human nail, both are somewhat porous. Clear nail polish will make your wood tips last longer than your shoulders. It won't gum up cymbals. I use clear nail polish on my wood tips. Urethane is more brittle.

A bit unorthadox if you've been conditioned by the industry I agree, they don't want your sticks to last, its up to you take action or keep buying. The weak link on a wood stick is the tips. Nothing worse than your wood tip cracking in the first hour, you need to reinforce it. Nylon doesn't work for me.

Sand wood tip smooth 220 grit works fine, some wood tips are finished poorly. Apply one coat, let fully dry, apply second coat let dry at least overnight. If your paranoid due to conditioning, you could apply a harder material.

Nail polish will soak into the wood grain and preserve the integrity of the tips shape throughout the sticks life, untreated wood tips will disinegrate quickly. .99 cents a bottle.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Its understandable you have little, or maybe even no experience using nail polish, its pretty durable stuff. Wood is not unlike a human nail, both are somewhat porous. Clear nail polish will make your wood tips last longer than your shoulders. It won't gum up cymbals. I use clear nail polish on my wood tips. Urethane is more brittle.

A bit unorthadox if you've been conditioned by the industry I agree, they don't want your sticks to last, its up to you take action or keep buying. The weak link on a wood stick is the tips. Nothing worse than your wood tip cracking in the first hour, you need to reinforce it. Nylon doesn't work for me.

Sand wood tip smooth 220 grit works fine, some wood tips are finished poorly. Apply one coat, let fully dry, apply second coat let dry at least overnight. If your paranoid due to conditioning, you could apply a harder material.

Nail polish will soak into the wood grain and preserve the integrity of the tips shape throughout the sticks life, untreated wood tips will disinegrate quickly. .99 cents a bottle.
Well, if you recommend it, I'll give it a try. You seem to really know drums and you've taught me a few things so I will get my wood tips and coat them. But it does sound really strange.

Actually, I do have experience using nail polish. I use it to mark hardware placement locations where memory locks are not practical or possible. I also use it to mark some items like cables, etc., so I know which are mine at takedown. I am the only person I have ever seen who marks their stuff. I have blue nail polish and red nail polish. I assume this is good to put on sticks? Is it better to apply a few thin coats?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

I rather like the idea of nail polish - can it be applied to the rimshot area of the stick to help durability in that area?

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 07-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

I have blue nail polish and red nail polish. I assume this is good to put on sticks? Is it better to apply a few thin coats?

More than two coats is OK, from my experience, more thn two coats on tips really doesn't make a difference, I do put each coat on pretty heavy though, not real thin, experiment, The first coat will penetrate the wood, then your coating the polish.

Any coating on sticks, or heads (black dots, black cirlcles etc) is going to get tranfered by the friction of impact. If you use black (painted) sticks, you'll see black flecks all over your kit, heads/cymbals. Even clear mylar from drum heads, gets transfered around the set by the tips of your sticks. Stick friction produces heat which melts the mylar.

Nail polish is no different, it'll get-around. It won't be as gooey as nylon and it won't gum-up your cymbals. Nail polish will preserve the integrity of your wood tips, they won't break.

rather like the idea of nail polish - can it be applied to the rimshot area of the stick to help durability in that area?

Cymbals move, rims do not. Nothing will withstand the edge of a steel rim that doesn't give. Aslo the shoulder of the stick where it meets the HH edge won't be protected by a coating either. My sticks are coated down about an inch or two from the btoom of the tip.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

OK, I think I will give this one a try. I just bought two pairs of my favorite stick so this is a good opportunity. I'll ask my sister if she has any clear nail polish and apply it to the tips of one of the pairs and put it to the test. Thanks for the tip les, I too hate tips that wear out fast since it's such an important part of the stick to remain in (somewhat good) shape.