DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-30-2008, 07:29 PM

Default Anyone ever take off the resonant heads?

Less tone,much louder though.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Anyone ever take off the resonant heads?

I heard that a bunch of people did in the 70's and early 80's. :P

I, personally, like the sound of batter and resonant heads resonating sympathetically after I strike the batter, but that might just be me.

Welcome to the forum.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 06-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Pioneer Member

I havent ever done it on my normal toms, but i have on the bass drum. Its so cool cuz its so loud. I actually love the sound.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

I've tried it on my toms just for fun, sounds horrible.

I did it a few days ago on my bass...WOW

You know that ear shattering deep bass you hear from car subwoofers? That's what was coming out of my bass drum, I couldn't believe it. It didn't sound like a bass drum anymore, more like a digitally mixed subwoofer track. I didn't keep it though, because you could only tap it lightly for that sound, press it hard and the head vibrates all over your beater making buzzes.

That made zero sense...

Old 07-01-2008, 12:56 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

More tracks are recorded than you think without resonant heads, particularly on the bass drum. A few years ago a friend recorded me playing a cover of The Pixies 'Where is My Mind?' (I think, it was definitely a Pixies song) and the kit was a bog standard Premier Cabria - with my snare. He didn't have the resonant head and just threw in an SM58 and the sound he got was very good. Clear, punchy and defined. A lot of the commercial recordings are recorded from inside the bass drum head (as well as a room mix) and although this is slightly different, the principle is the sound.

So, taking the resonant head off the bass drum doesn't really surprise me.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcobra View Post
press it hard and the head vibrates all over your beater making buzzes.
That made zero sense...
This is because when you have the reso head on the air between the two heads is "trapped" ergo the moment you hit the batter head you are creating pressure. (yes even if you have a port hole) This is the reason there are vent holes on all your drums, without them the heads would barely move.
This pressure inhibits the batter heads ability to flex inward. So without it, the head would be free to move and it will vibrate a little more.

...from what I understand at least, not trying to act like an expert, this is just my best guess as to what is going on.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:01 AM
Platinum Member

Sure, when I'm changing them.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:26 AM

Watch out when doing on a non-virgin bass drum, if you leave the ring off for too long the drum gets bent out of shape (speaking from experience). Otherwise I leave the bottom head off my floor tom to get nice deep low-ring sound.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:38 PM

Phil Collins does this. They become or are concert toms
Old 07-05-2008, 02:08 PM

It was quite common in about 1967 and later on... Me and all my fellow drummers did so. Simple reason why was: We were young amateurs, and no one had the slightest idea of how to tune a reso in relation to the batter. So we just removed those embarassing "me-no-know-how-tune" resos.
I did have bad feelings about this those days, feeling stupid not to be able to tune a tom, and not really satisfied with that "dead" sound" with no musically matching interval between the toms. Whenever pro drummers came to town, we all were very jealous of their much better sound on their Ludwig sets with properly tuned resos, which kinda carried the sound and made the air in a club vibrate, and the intervals could be clearly heard and always did match musically, whatever they played. Beeing just a kid, I illegally spent many nights in adults-only bars, listening and asking those pro drummers to teach me tuning a tom, but I never got it down because I could not hear any pitch in a drumstroke (I was a drummer, not a musician), to me it was all about noice and rockīn roll, rather than pitch. Also I asked my fellow guitar players to help me out by "what pitch is this stroke on my tom-head?"...They could not help me, cause they also could not hear any pitch in a drumstroke, but they laughed at me telling me I was too stupid to hear a pitch, thus claiming as the drummer I was some discriminated minority in the band. grin......Many years later I finally noticed that hearing pitches is not a matter of being an a**hole if you canīt, as they tried to tell me, but it can and must be learned. Then I did some pitch hearing lesson exercises, learned how to tune a drum, and it made me feel much better, since at last my toms came alive, using resonant heads.
To me, the question should have been: "did you ever put on resonant heads?"...grin grin

Last edited by rootheart; 07-05-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Amen Rockheart. Never had a clue and was too embarrased to ask back then, and nobody seemed to notice and I received compliments on my playing so I was happy.

Last edited by 2bsticks; 07-07-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: added letter
Old 07-08-2008, 02:39 AM

Never done it simply because the sound is just atrocious in my opinion...but i guess since my main instrument is guitar that i would want everything to have some sort of pitch...and im pretty picky about making sure my toms have a smooth descending line of pitches...which is more simple on my kit due to the fusion sized drums....i have seen other drummers do this and everytime i do i cant take that drummer seriously...simply because i see it as a novice thing to do
Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 AM

Yeah this usually isnt a good idea, there was one time in a wind ensemble I had to emulate helicopter blades on a drum, so I took a wooden tom, put a 2 ply coated batter on top and too the resonant head off, and then put a thin towel on top of the top head to play on, and it gave me a great boom.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:54 PM

generally speaking, I was never a fan of that sound. however, once in a while that sound really stands out and sounds cool. any of the vinnie appice stuff from sabbath/heaven and hell sounds awesome to me and he's a big fan of concert toms (not sure about that current DW kit he's playing, though)...

god, remember when slingerland used to do stuff like sell kits with a 20" bass drum and a st of 13/14/15/16/18" concert toms? c'mon guys, at least make those "massive thud" kits with a 22" if not a 24" :)
Old 07-08-2008, 06:57 PM

well, Phil Collins still uses it that way.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

I did. In the 90s. What was I thinking......................