DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-16-2008, 12:01 AM

Default Ludwig Speed King?

Is this pedal any good, i wanna get a bonham kind of sound when i play drums with my band...and well since he used this pedal, i wanna try it out.....is it worth it?

btw, sorry if this thread has already been done
Old 06-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ludwig Speed King?

If you really need the "Bonham" sound, I'd think the last thing to worry about, if at all, would be using the pedal. Type of drums. Yes. Drum sizes. Yes. Type of drum heads. Yes. How to tune your drums. Yes. Type of beater to use. Yes. Type of pedal? Not so important. Having driven a 26x14 Ludwig kick for "many a year", you can get a Bonham-ish sound with a DW pedal, or a Yamaha, or an Off-Set (those 3 pedals I played my kick with). The new Speed Kings have a bushing, to eliminate the "squeak" so common to the older pedals. So, if you really want the "je ne sais quoi" of it all, ya gotta find an older pedal. $25-50 should get you one off eBay. $119 for a new one (there-abouts). Play one before you buy one. Below is a "custom", with a floor plate added.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

You should definitely try one first, you'll find the feel to be very linear. That is, most pedals from the last 25-30 years have some 'cam' action/accelleration, so that the beater moves differently throughout the stroke. The Speed King is very even throughout the pedal's travel, and therefore will probably feel very different to you. Whether that's good or bad is subjective, and that's why it's a good idea to try before you buy.

I know that Phil Collins uses a Speed King, but he's the only one I can think of. Even Ludwig endorsers don't usually use them. I can't recall the last time I saw one on anyone's kit... maybe 30 years ago?

Bermuda
Old 06-16-2008, 02:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Speed kings are great, but its not the speed king that gave Bonham his unique sound. It was the type of drums and the way he tuned it, along with his choice of drum heads. (not saying the pedal doesnt effect the sound, its just has much less to do with the sound than what i said before).
Old 06-16-2008, 06:40 AM

oh wow i totally forgot about that, my bad....bad thread
Old 06-16-2008, 09:24 AM

I was using a Speedking in the past and I changed recently for a DW9000. A completely different animal but I don't regret the Speedking at all! I love vintage for the sound but for the mecanical parts, I think we shouldn't ignore today's improvements.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:16 PM

Speed Kings are great pedals, but won't really make you sound like Bonham vs another type of pedal. If you decide to get one, I would suggest buying an older model from the 70's. The newer pedals don't have the same feel for some reason. I have 2 older models and decided to buy an brand new one and it was sluggish compared to the older ones I have....olus you can buy an older one for around $45. I use the Speed King from time to time when I want something different. I think they are very good pedals and are easy to play.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:32 PM

and i can get the old ones on ebay u guys say?
Old 06-17-2008, 05:03 AM

I just got one a couple minutes ago for 50 bucks
Old 06-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Silver Member

Yeah, if you want to get that authentic Bonham squeak (like the one you can hear so clearly on "Since I've Been Loving You" from Led Zep III), definitely get yourself an old "Squeak King"! ;)
Old 06-22-2008, 04:43 AM
Silver Member

I have 2 mid-60's speed king pedals.not sure if i still have both original beaters though. they do have the original squeak still. should i hold onto these or sell them to a drummer who wants them? i use a dw double pedal now and love it so i really have no need for them. opinions,anyone?
Old 06-22-2008, 04:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdirtdider856 View Post
I have 2 mid-60's speed king pedals.not sure if i still have both original beaters though. they do have the original squeak still. should i hold onto these or sell them to a drummer who wants them? i use a dw double pedal now and love it so i really have no need for them. opinions,anyone?
I think you should keep one just incase.

Are they both in great condition? I might be interested in buying one.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:37 AM

if you dont want them,
ill gladly take one off your hands.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdirtdider856 View Post
If I were you I would keep at least one of them. I always have an extra pedal in my trap case, because when you play out you never know what might happen. I also keep a couple of extra drumheads etc.
But I really like the speed king, I feel they were a head of their time. It's funny because my extra pedal in my trap case is my old DW 5000 Turbo pedal from the late eighties.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Silver Member

I ll get em out tomorrow and get a few pictures up. they re in decent condition for being 40+ years old. make an offer....if you re interested.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:17 AM

I tried one in store next to various pedals (eliminators, dw9000s, 5000s, iron cobras etc) and personally i didn't like it. It felt like you had to work harder to get the most out of the pedal. (and also, they were tested against a rubber pad, so that would have effected all of the pedals) Thats just going of my technique which probably isn't any good anyway haha. But i suppose it all boils down to what you like. Play it, and if you like it, go for it, but i agree with everyone else as far as getting a sound goes. Drum heads, tuning, bass drum beater etc will be more helpful in trying to find a certain sound. Good luck anyway :)

My Band
Old 06-30-2008, 03:09 AM

I love these pedals. Cheap as chips and I would advise any drummer to purchase one even if it just for practise or spare.

It makes me laugh how underrated these pedals are. Morden Drummer Magazine April featuring Levon Helm from The Band has a picture of his kit with the wording saying "yamaha pedal not shown" What does he have in the picture? A Speed King.

The closest thing that has given me the same control, power and speed is the Flying Dragon. I even purchased the Flying Dragon and its a great pedal but its just a more expensive Speed King.

Don't get me wrong, each to his own but I was always told "the simple things in life are often the best.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Pioneer Member

I love my Speed King, simple and reliable but it does not make me sound like Bonham. Oh well, at least when I look down at my foot I feel like Bonham.

Animal Life Savers
Old 07-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Speed kings are great, but its not the speed king that gave Bonham his unique sound. It was the type of drums and the way he tuned it, along with his choice of drum heads. (not saying the pedal doesnt effect the sound, its just has much less to do with the sound than what i said before).
also the fact that he never buried his beater in to the drum head, always a quick release.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

First, buy one of these. Then worry about what kind of pedal to use. Sitting at $455, on eBay right now. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=380040789982
Attached Images