DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-29-2008, 11:09 PM

Default New drummer with questions

I just purchased a set of Coda Drums (I know they are "el cheapo" but I am just starting out) and I want to replace all of the heads. I am completely new to this and I finally bought a set but I am completely lost on what heads to get (way too many options for me to figure out). I wish I could have started out at an early age (I am 31 now) but I never got around to it, so hopefully I can enjoy them.

I measured the outside diameter of the shell and the measurements were as follows:

Toms:
12"
12 & 3/4" (I am assuming I need a 13" head for this)
15 & 3/4" (I am assuming I need a 16" head for this)

Bass:
22"

Snare:
14"

I am looking for a good set of heads for not too much money. I would eventually like to purchase a better quality drum set but for now this is where I want to start and see how things go. Also, will I need to purchase a batter set of heads and the resonate/bottom or can I get by with just the batter heads? Basically will it sound bad if I just get new heads and live the cheap Coda's on the bottom?

Any help or suggestions would be great!

Thanks!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New drummer with questions

Since you're new to drumming, you probably have no idea what kind of sound you're looking for. Since you're just beginning, I would suggest getting some double-ply heads. They're more durable, typically have a lower pitch, and have a decent rebound. You can get them coated or uncoated. The coating will soften the "tick" sound that a stick makes when contacting the head (called the "attack") and will make the drums less "bright". As for the resonant heads, I would go with clear single-ply heads. You can get them cheaper if you buy a set of them. Music stores will usually knock some money off of the total cost if you buy more stuff. Oh, and some of the companies (Remo and Evans) sell pre-packs that include the batter heads for snare and 3 toms (get the right sizes-your measurements are correct...12, 13, 16, and 14 snare).

Since you're just starting out, I would recommend keeping the stock heads on. Who knows...you might not stick with it, and you'll be less invested if you decide to quit. Also, you'll appreciate the sound of the better heads more if you play the stock ones for a while. Kind of an "initiation", as it were.

What kind of cymbals are you playing? Did they come with the kit? I would recommend upgrading those first. Some of those "beginner" cymbals are pretty harsh to play with. Oh, and wear hearing protection when you play, too.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 06-30-2008, 12:27 AM

I know a lot of people upgrade stock heads on beginner kits to remo pinstripes. I did, and i really like them. I have a fairly cheap kit too, and new heads really improved the sound of my kit. They work fairly well for most styles i guess. Have a look on ebay, on some of the music shops. I got a full set of remo pinstripes for the batter heads and genera heads on the resonant heads and the whole set was 60 (about $120) brand new.

My Band
Old 06-30-2008, 03:15 AM

Thanks for the good information. The symbols were actually upgraded to Zildjan ZBT high hat and Zildjan ZBT 18" crash/ride. However, these are the only symbols I have at the moment. I had planned on just buying the head kits and buying a bass head as well. I just wasn't sure if I should replace the batter and resonate at the same time. I would rather buy the heads and see how my "drum skills evolve" first.

Would just replacing the batter heads alone improve the sound?

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Last edited by ncdrum; 06-30-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:40 AM
Platinum Member

Replacing the batters will make it sound better. Replacing the resonants will make it sound even better still. This, of course, depends on if you tune them right. It's hard to make an "el cheapo" kit sound that great, but new heads would definitely help.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:10 PM

It seems batter and resonant heads are about the same price, so could I just purchase two different sets of batter heads and place one set on the bottom? That way I could try different sounds for about the same price. Just curious...It may be a stupid question but I don't know the difference.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdrum View Post
It seems batter and resonant heads are about the same price, so could I just purchase two different sets of batter heads and place one set on the bottom? That way I could try different sounds for about the same price. Just curious...It may be a stupid question but I don't know the difference.

Thanks!
Yeah, the only drums that have specific "resonant" heads are the snare and bass drum. For the toms, people typically use a 1-ply head as the resonant (ambassador or G1). Make sure when you're in the music store you talk with the sales person about that, so you don't come home with a snare batter head as the resonant. That's the drum that REALLY matters. Oh, and if you wanted to get 2 pre-packs (1- or 2-ply for batter and 1-ply for resonant), you'd end up with an extra snare head, which isn't a bad idea. It's the drum that typically gets used the most, and therefore might wear out or break the quickest.

Good luck!.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:26 PM

These are a few of the current options I am looking at from Sam Ash. The first one is a complete kit from Remo and the other options would require purchasing the bass + snare seperate. I was hoping you wouldn't mind giving me an opinion on any of these options. I didn't know if a complete kit is the way to go or buy the tom pre-pack and add the snare + bass? Again, thank you for the great help!

Option 1http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemID=30476

Option 2
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...RCH&GroupCode=

Option 3

Option 4

Option 5
Old 07-03-2008, 04:15 AM

I ended up going with the Evans EMAD 5-Piece Drumhead Pre-Pack. Here is the link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ack?sku=443809

Thanks for all the help! I think these are all batter heads, so hopefully they will sound better than my CODA heads! I also ordered a Tama Iron Cobra Jr. 200 pedal as well.

Can't wait to try them out!
Old 07-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdrum View Post
I ended up going with the Evans EMAD 5-Piece Drumhead Pre-Pack. Here is the link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ack?sku=443809

Thanks for all the help! I think these are all batter heads, so hopefully they will sound better than my CODA heads! I also ordered a Tama Iron Cobra Jr. 200 pedal as well.

Can't wait to try them out!
Welcome to the wonderful world of percussion! I think you made a good choice. Your bottom heads will suffice for now. The bass drum head is a nice one too. I think you ll be surprised how much better your set sounds with these heads along with a proper tuning. Luckily you can find answers to any questions you might have right here. Oh yeah, they are all batter heads.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:33 PM

I have a lot to learn but I am looking forward to it. My next search will be on tuning for sure, which may be difficult with my cheap CODA's (only 5 lug).

As for the heads, it was a hard decision (for me anyway) between the Evans, Remo and much cheaper Attack heads. In the end, I decided to spend the additional $50 on the Evans pack (Remo was the same price as well). The Attacks seemed great for the money, especially for an inexperienced drummer like myself, but I figured what the heck. I didn't spend but $150 on the used CODA's, so I treated myself to some decent heads.

I am looking forward to learning as much as I can from this forum!

Thanks!!
Old 07-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Silver Member

[quote=ncdrum;455091 My next search will be on tuning for sure, which may be difficult with my cheap CODA's (only 5 lug).

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

Don't sweat only having 5 lugs. My Gretsch Renown Maples have only 5 lugs on the 10 and 12 toms and they tune up just fine.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:33 PM

Good...I just assumed it would be difficult based on what I have been reading. Another great tip!

Thanks!