DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 05-16-2008, 07:19 PM

Default Feedback from Roland TD 9 owners?

I've seen a few threads from folks who have tested out the TD 9, but none from someone who owns it yet. I'm debating a TD9-SX with VH-11 hi hat upgrade or getting the TD 12. From what I can tell the big limitation of the TD-9 for me is the EQ and editing features are much less accessible on the fly compared to the TD 12. But since the TD 9 is new, I'm curious to know what if any sound/technical improvements have been made that might give it any advantages over the 12?

At about $1000 or so difference I'm wondering if the TD 12 is worth it? Any advice from someone with experience on either kit would be hugely appreciated!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Feedback from Roland TD 9 owners?

I recently bought a Roland TD9sx and while I am very happy with it, I think the TD12 might be better value if you are a semi-professional.

The TD12 and TD9 both use the same drum pads but that is where the similarity ends.

The TD12 has more room physically on the rack to expand and add more drum pads and cymbals in the future. I am not sure but I think the TD12 can hold a VH-12 high-hat which is the most advanced unit Roland make and it is actually for the TD20 unit. I am not sure the TD9 can accomodate this.

I cannot comment on the sound quality as I only have the TD9 to go by which of course is fairly amazing. However, the sound volume on the TD9 using headphones is weak and leaves you wanting more. You have to add a mixer to the headphone input to increase volume.

The TD12 has more inputs and it just feels more substantial.

Bottom line? I am not sure if the TD12 is worth the extra cash but you can probably pick up a used TD12 in good condition for the same price as a new TD9 and I think that would be great value.

Jon
Old 06-30-2008, 01:10 PM

I bought the TD9 module to upgrade my TD-6, and enjoy it very much.

the functions such as scope, and being able to mute different bits of backing tracks makes practice and improvement much easier and more fun.

The 9's sounds are less tweakable than the 12, the 12 has more parameteres, but I for one am not sure that there is that much difference in sound quality....Listen to both modules and decide for yourself what you like....the 12 does have slightly better positional sensing, ie the sound changes depending on where you it pad, whereas the 9 only differentiates between rim and head hits, and playing dynamics....

I loved the 6, love the 9 even more, and to myself the difference in price wasnt worth it - if i was going to spend that much money i would want the full 20, or the 30 that is coming out in (rumpured) 2010...but you have to listen carefuly to each module to decide if the price difference is worth it in your ears.

I think it is just as easy to change things on the fly, if you set them up correctly - the 12 just offers more. I believe that the 9 uses more modern algorithms and samples,. but you can do more with the 12 to suit your own style.

ok, this probably confused you more than it helped you. sorry. use your own ears and thik how much you can affford.

Oh yes, about the headphones: you need to get headphones with the proper impedence, or invest in a headphone amp, because for some reason they chose a low output for the headphone...phones that i set the volume to 12 o'clock on the 6, i have t set to 5 o'clock on the 9. weird choice they made.....

good drumming

saku
Old 06-30-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJason View Post
However, the sound volume on the TD9 using headphones is weak and leaves you wanting more. You have to add a mixer to the headphone input to increase volume.

Jon
I own a TD9, and the volume is loud. The headphone is probably the problem.

As far as sound quality goes, the sounds are more real and fat than the TD12. However, the sound editing capabilities cannot be compared. The TD12 has COSM editing and the TD9 doesn`t.

If you aren`t going to record or perform professionally with it, you should be happy with it.