DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-26-2008, 04:15 PM

Default Evans EMAD2 = Aquarian Superkick2?

Ive been playing the superkick 2 for a while and I like the focused warm sound I get without any dampening inside the drum (pillows, blankets). Im getting a DW kit and was wondering if anyone has experience with the Evans EMAD2 and if I would get the same result with this head on a DW 18x22 kick.
Thanks!
Old 06-26-2008, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Evans EMAD2 = Aquarian Superkick2?

I have used both on my 18x22 Pro-M. I actually prefer the SK2 - I was able to get a fatter sound out of it than I could with the Emad. With smaller, cannon-like drums, I like the sound of the Emad better. JMO.
[philippians 4:13]
Old 06-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

The EMAD has very deep and punchy sound characteristics on its own, which takes away a bit from the drum. This works out well if you have a lower quality kit. If you have a high quality drum like a DW, the EMAD can just cover up the natural deep tone of the bass. I say go for the SK2 and play it safe, but if you have the extra cash pick up an EMAD. This will give you the option to switch your sound around whenever, and who knows, you might like the overwhelming THUD of the EMAD.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:43 PM

I haven't used the SK2 but I do use the EMAD2 and I like it a lot. It does give a lot of punch and I really dig that sound. You can't go wrong with it.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:56 AM

I say drop those two ideas and pick up either an Evans EQ3 or Remo Powerstroke 3

:) Great Success (:
Old 06-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Pioneer Member

I like the EMAD2. It produces a very low and deep punchey sound. It seems more resonant than the Super Kick II. I have used both heads quite a bit.

Both of those heads seem to work best for recording or for miced gigs.

I would agree that the Remo PS3 is a great head for live situations and have used it with good results. A bit more boom than the other heads mentioned.

I have an EQ3 also, but haven't used it enough to comment one way or the other.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:38 AM
Platinum Member

I've recently switched over from the EMAD & ported reso combo to a coated P3 on the batter and a coated, unported ambassador on the reso. I'm actually running it wide open, just using a small blanket inside that I can dampen the reso with depending on the room. Want more dampening? Just lean the drum forward so the blanket pushes right up against the head. Want less dampening? Lean it back to the blanket makes less (or even no) contact with the head. Boom to thud in under a second. Also, if I want to control the batter a bit more, a rolled up tea-towel between the kick pedal posts and the head will do that without any hassles.

If you can't get the sound you want with a basic single ply batter and reso combo and careful muffing, you're doing something wrong.

Plus, the money you save buying ambassadors instead of EMADs makes it even more worthwhile.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Pioneer Member

I play an SK1 on my 22" yamaha with a ported aquarian reso that I love the sound of, I think either of the two you have listed will take away quite a bit of tone from a wonderful sounding drum you are paying good money for. I'd look into the PS3, and SK1 or some other single ply version to open up the sound to get a really good tone and natural sound from the drum.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:05 PM

Thanks for all the replies they really are helping. Unforftunately there is no music store here that i can try out heads before buying them. Im thinking of getting a single ply head on my bass now, so I get more of the drums tone, I've heard the Remo PS3 is good, any other suggestions for a DW maple 18x22?
Old 06-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_H View Post
Thanks for all the replies they really are helping. Unforftunately there is no music store here that i can try out heads before buying them. Im thinking of getting a single ply head on my bass now, so I get more of the drums tone, I've heard the Remo PS3 is good, any other suggestions for a DW maple 18x22?

I think you are making a wise choice going with a single ply, I would put a falam patch on it just to protect the head a little. I would say PS3 or SK1 would sound really good, the PS3 would probably open the sound up just a bit more.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:08 PM

Recently I was thinking of changing to the EMAD2, SK2, EQ3, or PS4 which are all 2 ply heads. My reasoning was that because my drum is a 24" it needs a bit more control. I have used Powerstroke 3's front and back for many years now. There isn't anything they can't do.

I recently recorded my kit with just 2 room mics. Condensers set around 6-8 feet in front of the kit and about 3-4 feet from the ground. They were large diaphragm condensers to help pick up some of the lower frequencies. Well I'll be damned, the bass drum sounded KILLER!

Just a tip for anyone using any type of bass head. Tuning just above wrinkle does not produce the biggest deepest sounding bass drum. In fact, I tune my batter until it has a pure tone around the edge of the head and my resonant higher than that.

I've attached a clip of my bass with two PS3's. A Clear Powerstroke 3 with a falam slam on the batter and a Smooth White Powerstroke 3 with a 4" port on the resonant.

A bit of compression, a bit of EQ to remove the harshness of the cymbals and ZERO reverb added. The room I recorded in is one of the best sounding rooms I have ever heard. There is no need to add reverb.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 sonorforce3007.mp3 (415.3 KB, 192 views)
Old 06-29-2008, 05:03 AM
Gold Member

Here's my experience with my ' 89 keller-shelled DW 18x24 kick. I tried a PS3 batter, it was OK. I tried an SKI, still OK. I put on an SKII and it sounds so good. This is with an ebony PS3 reso with a 4" hole, run wide open.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums