DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-18-2008, 10:10 PM

Default Recording new heads

Getting new heads before my band records....i currently have an emad on my Yamaha stage customs bass drum...but stock on the toms and an old remo emperor coated on my ludwig acrolite...any suggestions on new batter heads for my toms and snare? i was thinking ec2s on the toms and genera dry on the snare...only have about 90 to spend...help me out please with any and all suggestions
Old 06-27-2008, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Recording new heads

I'm a drummer, mixer, producer, the whole shebang. I have some thoughts.
NO Genera Dry! It's a fine live head, but the only real benefit recording-wise is to cut out some ring, and the exact same sound can be gotten with a plastic ring taped on top of the head (to make sure it doesn't come off). This gives you versatility if you decide you want the ring of the snare on some songs or parts of songs. The most important thing for recording is to clean up your snare wires. For money purposes, I'd just break off any strands that are a good amount looser than others

As for the toms, EC2s are ok, because they give a certain sound, as are any 2 ply heads. So are any one ply heads. You need to think about what sound you want. EC2s are only good for close micing, so if you're not running a mic on each tom, don't put an EC2 on there.

For my personal preference, I'd go with the Remo Vintage Ambassador or Clear Aquarian Super 2, just because they're the most versatile. A little tape in the right places and the mic a bit closer makes them sound like EC2s, and pulling back on the mic can make them sound like slightly fuller single plies.

You can never go wrong with coated single plys, unless you're doing something like UB40-style reggae or metal, in which case clear 2-plies are your go-to heads. If still in doubt as to what you want, head to a music shop with all your own sticks (tip shape changes sound lots) and find a couple kits with different heads. You'll find what you want.

Have fun with the record. Put something up if you can.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Recording new heads

Don't do a Genera Dry in the studio. You'll want the standard Coated Ambassador (or coated G1 if you're an Evans fan). I would suggest not using a head that you've never used before in the studio. Any of the EC2/Pinstripe/Emperor X heads each have their own idiosyncrasies that, if you're not familiar with, will lead to a "tuning experiment nightmare".

Exceptions to this would be the standard ambassador/G1 or emperor/G2. Want a higher pitch?...ambassador/G1. Lower pitch?...emperor/G2. Want more attack?...clear. Want a warmer sound?...coated.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195