DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-24-2008, 08:26 PM

Default Direct Drive Pedals

Hey guys my first thread on here. Well I have a Mapex M Birch 8 piece double bass kit and I'm lookin into some new pedals and I'm thinkin about getting some Axis longboards, just wonderin if anyone has any expierience with them? Any help is much appreciated guys. \m/
Old 06-25-2008, 04:45 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Direct Drive Pedals

Hi. Welcome to the boards.

Yes, a few of us presently use,have used, or want to use Axis pedals. Longboards or regular length footboards.

I'd love to say that they were the key to all greatness, but it really takes your testing and trying to know what would best for you.

The direct-drive feel is different from straps and chains, but like anything else, once you've settled with something, you can really concentrate on harnessing power, speed, or both. All those things, while easier for some on longboards, might be more difficult for others.

Some would say that Axis has too many adjustments, not enough adjustments, too many allen keys/set screws (3), etc, etc, etc. The price can be a little extreme if you don't shop around.

Either way, get your feet on what you can. I love mine.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:00 AM

The only beef I have with Axis is that ridiculous price tag. But other than that, they're made out of Aircraft Aluminum, so they'll be durable, and the direct drive feel is pretty comfortable especially if you play Metal with foot speeds above 220 bpm all the time.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex Drummer View Post
Hey guys my first thread on here. Well I have a Mapex M Birch 8 piece double bass kit and I'm lookin into some new pedals and I'm thinkin about getting some Axis longboards, just wonderin if anyone has any expierience with them? Any help is much appreciated guys. \m/
Great pedal, you could spend a day reading about it here using the search. Axis Long is well put together and totally user serviceable. The tightest direct drive on the market. Lighter than Yamaha's 'Flying-harryconway' (inside-joke:) and able to break drum heads in a single-bound.

Read the Axis set-up manual if you get one, it'll cue you in on the 'not so obvious' settings and adjustments.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:07 AM

Try before you buy.
I own a Birch Yamaha Kit ,love the hardware and opted for the direct drive Yamaha pedal. I haven't been able to adjust to it ,after several months. I am certain that reflects on me ,as the operation of the pedal is flawless,but I am now shopping for something else. The feel is quite different,(read very light), and I find myself unable to play doubles at all. For the benefit of those who love the pedal,I want to state unequivocally the problem lies with me:that said,an hour with it prior to purchase would have had me looking elsewhere.
tracer
Old 06-27-2008, 03:47 PM

Alright guys thanks all this help is good, keep it commin!\m/