DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-19-2008, 07:04 AM
Platinum Member

Default PA...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringe...96-i1387009.gc

anyone know anything bout this pack?
what we need is something to put vocals through and put the guitars...and maybe a couple mics on me....

this pack has good reviews....and then behringer has had some bad stuff...so i was wondering if this would be a good deal?

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 06-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: PA...

I'd say, if you're playing a small bar or club, make everyone responsible for their own sound (amps). Just run vocals thru this PA. Putting guitar, drums and vocals thru this PA is asking a lot from a $600 rig.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

The desk is reasonably well specified. More Aux channels wouldn't go amiss, but a semi-parametric mid on the EQ is quite useful. The loudspeakers look pretty useful as well - 450W isn't a bad size for a mid-sized gig and the 12" woofers will be good for most of what you need. You'd probably want a reasonable sub woofer later on, maybe a 16" or 18", but that's not vital. You probably could put everything through this system quite effectively actually. My only concern would be foldback. You have 4 Aux channels as it is, but no foldback speakers - you'll probably find you have to source them from somewhere or alternatively place the PA slightly behind the band in order to hear yourselves.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

thanks for the replies guys!

MFB - foldback, meaning monitors?

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 06-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I'd say, if you're playing a small bar or club, make everyone responsible for their own sound (amps). Just run vocals thru this PA. Putting guitar, drums and vocals thru this PA is asking a lot from a $600 rig.
True. I have a pair of JBL EON 15-inch 300-watt powered speakers and they have the overhead to swallow an average band, drums and all. But a cheaper system can't handle those kinds of multiple demands. I might put guitars and vocals through this Behringer. That's one of the things you pay for when you shell out for a pro system.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

but do you guys think it will be alright since its a behringer?

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 06-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Beringer uses cheap components that's why there so cheap it's. kinda you get what you pay for.If you can save your money and buy something nice you won't. regret it in the long run.

Bonzolead
Old 06-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

True. I have a pair of JBL EON 15-inch 300-watt powered speakers and they have the overhead to swallow an average band, drums and all.

If by "a couple of mic's on the drums" you mean one on the kick, 'you will' be happier with 15" speakers. Behringer (IMO) 'sounds best' in this price range. Reliabilty can go either way with any brand, all are made in China these days. Whatever you get, a good test is to hook it up immeadiately and run it for a couple of days straight (voulme off or whatever you can handle), real problems will usually show their faces quickly.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
Beringer uses cheap components that's why there so cheap it's. kinda you get what you pay for.If you can save your money and buy something nice you won't. regret it in the long run.

Bonzolead
I have been using Behringer products for 8 years now using everything from power amps, EQ's, compressors.. mic processors... never had a bad experiance. Behringer products are also used in my line of work which is the broadcasting industry.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post

Bonzolead
Behringer are an interesting company. Look on YouTube for a tour of the new factory. Compared to various videos I've seen (especially those of conditions in the Agop factory) Behringer's facilities look absolutely superb for their workers. Clean, healthy and new. All the workers are well looked after; clean, fed and housed to a good standard - especially considering that they are all housed in a designated village specifically for the workers. Obviously, this model isn't something we in the West are used to, but the workers are free to leave any such time they may desire and are properly looked after. The recent lift in quality of their product (as in, the last 6-7 years) is actually due to increasing standards within the industry and competition from other 'budget' manufacturers. They have raised their game significantly - now to the point where they quality of their product is good and can compete with anything else in the marketplace. I'm afraid your response is ill-informed and incorrect.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
I have been using Behringer products for 8 years now using everything from power amps, EQ's, compressors.. mic processors... never had a bad experiance. Behringer products are also used in my line of work which is the broadcasting industry.
I've never used them personally but my bass player does repair work at a music store and he said he does repairs on a LOT of beringer stuff.I thought of getting some beringer stuff but he was strongly against it.I'm glad you had good luck with them I might reconsider.

Bonzolead
Old 06-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Behringer are an interesting company. Look on YouTube for a tour of the new factory. Compared to various videos I've seen (especially those of conditions in the Agop factory) Behringer's facilities look absolutely superb for their workers. Clean, healthy and new. All the workers are well looked after; clean, fed and housed to a good standard - especially considering that they are all housed in a designated village specifically for the workers. Obviously, this model isn't something we in the West are used to, but the workers are free to leave any such time they may desire and are properly looked after. The recent lift in quality of their product (as in, the last 6-7 years) is actually due to increasing standards within the industry and competition from other 'budget' manufacturers. They have raised their game significantly - now to the point where they quality of their product is good and can compete with anything else in the marketplace. I'm afraid your response is ill-informed and incorrect.
I'm feeling kinda of ILL & Incompasitated LOL I just know what my friends have told me one being a repair tech. at a music store & he just wouldn't. just say that we've been friends for 20 yrs.

Bonzolead
Old 06-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

The problem there is that he will only see the bad end of the product being in the repair industry. Behringer's ubiquity means that they are more likely to have more bad product than most other companies, but some of the older stuff isn't so great. The newer stuff is made as well as anything else.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
True. I have a pair of JBL EON 15-inch 300-watt powered speakers and they have the overhead to swallow an average band, drums and all.

If by "a couple of mic's on the drums" you mean one on the kick, 'you will' be happier with 15" speakers. Behringer (IMO) 'sounds best' in this price range. Reliabilty can go either way with any brand, all are made in China these days. Whatever you get, a good test is to hook it up immeadiately and run it for a couple of days straight (voulme off or whatever you can handle), real problems will usually show their faces quickly.
I use a Behringer mixer and some Behringer mics. So far, I have nothing but good to say about their products. Their niche is copycatting top-end manufacturers, so they have no R and D expenses and pass the savings on to consumers.

Drums are very demanding on headroom, however, especially if you throw in vocals, bass, guitars and a sax or violin. But I doubt a $700 PA system (including the board, mics and cables!) by any manufacturer would be able to accommodate a whole band and sound good.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
I am getting a larger mixer and it will be a behringer. I have no problem using Behringer for mixers, mics, amps, EQs, sound processing, etc. They have a reputation for making stuff with extremely low noise, well-built and durable. The trade-off is they have fewer bells and whistles.

The PA speakers, however, is where the rubber meets the road. I got JBLs over Behringer for the speakers because of the extra headroom and resistance to distortion. I'm sure the Behringer speakers sound fine, but as soon as you dumped drums and a whole band into the mix and then cranked it, you would quickly find the limits of a lower-end system.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I use a Behringer mixer and some Behringer mics. So far, I have nothing but good to say about their products. Their niche is copycatting top-end manufacturers, so they have no R and D expenses and pass the savings on to consumers.

Drums are very demanding on headroom, however, especially if you throw in vocals, bass, guitars and a sax or violin. But I doubt a $700 PA system (including the board, mics and cables!) by any manufacturer would be able to accommodate a whole band and sound good.

That depends on what your wanting or expecting. If you want people to be able to "feel it" no, a small system isn't going to do it no matter who makes it. You could run the band thru what you want but don't expect a massive concert sound. You will be dissappointed if you do..
Old 06-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

i prolly would just have like an over head or 2...nothing on my drum wise...and then the rest of the band..and if i couldnt do that....so be it, i can play loud..haha

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY