DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 06-16-2008, 09:39 PM

Default Other halves

Seeing the holiday post made me think about this:

How supportive are your other halves towards your passion of drumming?

I've had g/f's in the past who have made my life hell over being in bands etc. Luckily the woman I married is totally supportive and encourages me to go for it even though she doesn't like it when I'm away.
Girlfriends in the past have actually made me not enjoy my playing but I find myself encouraged to progress now and it feels amazing.

Share your joy / pain here chaps and chapesses. Do you have to do the ironing and washing up before you rehearse or do you get a kiss at the door and a "Have a good time" said?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Other Halves

Fortunately, my wife is totally supportive of my playing. All I have to do is one "date night" a week with just her and she is happy.
Of course, it hasn't always been this way. It's taken a lot of time building trust to get to where we are. I can't imagine what it would be like being in the dating scene and trying to stay up on my drumming. I am a lucky man!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Pioneer Member

I'm a very fortunate man, getting a kiss and "have a good time" if she's not able to make it out for a gig (and she doesn't miss many). Very supportive and even let's us practice at the house. The absolute BEST is when she ordered a Unix snare drum for my birthday.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=37612
Really couldn't ask for more.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:33 PM
jay norem

I like this idea for a thread. My lovely wife knew I was a musician when we met and has always supported me in my work. She does not begrudge me the time I have to spend on writing and arranging music, hanging out with players, rehearsals (which take place at our house), and gigging. Quite the opposite. She digs it, she's proud of me.
Of course, she plays the bass (punk rock) so I guess that has to make some difference. But jazz? She'll be the first to admit that she just doesn't get it.
Still, I like to say that she's my Nellie Monk!
There is no better wife than a musician's wife!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:37 PM

Good to hear chaps, I am lucky, even when my wife hates the music a band I'm in is playing she supports me and is honest enough to say, I don't like it, I ain't coming. But you're into it so go have some fun.

Anyone had to choose between drums and a partner? Any regrets over whichever way you chose?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:23 PM

Important thread indeed! Yes my sweetie is all to good with the whole musician thing, and understands that if i am not doing what I need to be doing, i am no good to the rest of the world.
She is also a good gauge musically [good ear for intentions] and socially with any projects I involve or don't involve myself in. A good judge of character. Lucky I am.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Pioneer Member

My girlfriend is very supportive of my passion, although she came into my life during a hiatus from the whole "band thing". So I'm not exactly sure how she'd react to me being out a couple nights week with rehearsals and gigs. She's very supportive of my love of drumming, though. She's even letting me keep my electronic drums in her apartment during my downtime from jamming with other people.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Gold Member

My wife is fantastic...of course, my drumming brings in a nice income, so that helps a lot (and I'm not trying to brag...just saying...she benefits from it, too). She knows how to set-up/break down cymbal stands, so when she used to come out to gigs, she would help with that (now I have a drum tech, so she doesn't have to). She always supports me, both in my gigging and my continual purchasing of drum equiptment. Every once in a while she gets hung up on missing me if I'm gone for a while, but overall, she's awesome.

I'm lucky, too, in that it's always been this way. Every girl I have dated loved my music, loved that I played, helped set up and break down, and in general made my drumming easier for me.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 06-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Silver Member

my girlfriend is tottally supportive and actually is a musicain herself (singer) and and sometimes if the song calls for it we get her to sing on certain songs,and sometimes i do the drum tracks on her songs,or help out her drummer when hes stuck on a certain beat or fill. i couldnt have done half of what ive acomplished without her.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Pioneer Member

My girlfriend has always been good with me playing the drums. She thinks my bands I'm in are crap which is a bit disheartening but she likes me playing and to be honest she's wrong so there we go! hahaha

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 06-17-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimothy View Post
Good to hear chaps, I am lucky, even when my wife hates the music a band I'm in is playing she supports me and is honest enough to say, I don't like it, I ain't coming. But you're into it so go have some fun.

Anyone had to choose between drums and a partner? Any regrets over whichever way you chose?
Me. I married the girl I grew up with. She was a musician (viola) & was into my drumming. I had 2 bands when we married. During the reception she pulls me aside and told me the drums had to go. It was time to "grow up" & get a real carrer. Fast forward 30 years. That wife is now an ex-wife. No drumming for nearly 30 years due to my Navy carrer.

My "new" wife of 24 years totally digs my drumming. She bought me a new kit for Christmas '04 & told me to "get it on". We've never looked back. Now 4 years & 4 drum sets later we have a studio in the basement & rock on like crazy. Who says being in your 50's ain't fun!

Peace
Gibraltar Rack
Old 06-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedrummer View Post
Me. I married the girl I grew up with. She was a musician (viola) & was into my drumming. I had 2 bands when we married. During the reception she pulls me aside and told me the drums had to go. It was time to "grow up" & get a real carrer. Fast forward 30 years. That wife is now an ex-wife. No drumming for nearly 30 years due to my Navy carrer.

My "new" wife of 24 years totally digs my drumming. She bought me a new kit for Christmas '04 & told me to "get it on". We've never looked back. Now 4 years & 4 drum sets later we have a studio in the basement & rock on like crazy. Who says being in your 50's ain't fun!

Peace
!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the first wife...holy crap! But that's SO awesome about your "new" wife. I'm glad you are getting to take part in your passion again, man!

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 06-17-2008, 08:57 PM

My wife hates that I play, my girlfriend is pretty cool with it though....

I KID, I KID.... I am not currently married, but have a very supportive gf that supports me in more ways than one. She's proud to show off her man on the skins...!
Old 06-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Big_Philly

I am currently single, but my ex girlfriend was usually supportive when I would play gigs and she supported my band too. However, when it comes to gear purchasing she wasn't too enthusiastic. If we were still together that Superstar in my living room would not have been there.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Silver Member

Paula encouraged me to start playing again at 40 when I met her {hadnt played for 15 years}, but sometimes I notice when I'm rambling about Cozy Powell or Matt Sorum Or Bobby Rondinelli...theres this blank look that descends and I think I could tell her I'm a transexual and she'd just mumble 'Thats nice dear'......
Old 06-18-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:

Dude! Talk about a mixed day! :-)

Glad it's all worked out in the end

Quote:
My wife hates that I play, my girlfriend is pretty cool with it though....

I KID, I KID...
Hahaa I'd just managed to resist that one!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:01 AM
Gold Member

My wife is fantastic.

I am in 2 bands now which takes up 2 to 3 nights a week.

We work together, sleep together, commute together and other than my 2 nights a week, we are constantly together. And to be honest with you, I am totally bummed when she isn't around.

She has put up with kit after kit and allows both bands to play at our home.

Sorry guys, but my wife is the greatest of all! LOL

I am one lucky guy!

But, I am good to her just the same. We are just perfect for each other.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:14 PM

yeah my gf doesnt mind it i have even taught her a few things nothing better than a girl playing drums
Old 06-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Other halves

It depends on the time of the month.