DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-13-2008, 08:25 PM

Default horizontal cowbell foot pedal

I'm sharing my idea for a horizontally mounted cowbell. It has a closer throw than the commercially available verticle mounted ones, which gives better control of volume, articulation, and is faster in my opinion.

It is simple to make using a reverse style beater and an 'L' rod in the bass pedal's rim clamp. In my case, I have welded flatbar to a rod which is an improvement over a straight 'L' rod, as it does not slip in the bass drum clamp.

I have also adapted another pedal with a goat toe nail shaker on a reverse beater, which slaps the floor on the down stroke and effectively creates an articulate foot pedal shaker.

I use these devices on my 'indigenous roots drum kit', which includes no cymbals, but has congas, various nut shell and seed pod shakers suspended on plastic coat hangers, didgeridoos, double footpedal djun djun, and left foot Nigerian log drum. I play this kit with bare hands.

If you are curious to see these devises in action, go to www.youtube.com/bongodoggie and check out 'Jingo', or any of several other videos.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: horizontal cowbell foot pedal

Sounds interesting. Do you have photos? I made my own foot pedal cowbell/block/tambourine holder at
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...php?t=23501See entry on Feb. 9, 2007.

Also see entries near the end of the thread for how I made a foot-operated cabasa.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:27 PM

Very cool little kit. inspiring. I am curious as If you or anybody has tryed the Futz pedal for foot percussion?
Old 06-14-2008, 01:44 AM
Pioneer Member

I prefer vertical beaters because I have played them my whole life. I used to have a horizontal pedal and it never really felt right to me. As far as the articulation and overall feel of the pedal, I kind of feel like they are all super adjustable these days. I'm amazed how finitely we can adjust these to our styles. Yeah, DMC has made all kinds of crazy stuff for his kit too. You should definitely check it out...
Old 06-15-2008, 04:24 PM

DMC: Thanks, the closeup photos are cool. My mount device is similar, as I said it consists of a piece of flatbar welded to a verticle rod.
The footpedal cabasa looks intriguing, bet you came up with that before Meinl did theirs. Now what we need a is a footpedal guiro.

FIM: Yes, I've seen the Futz pedals and they are good. I was already doing my thing otherwise might of tried them. They are designed to strike a bell verticle and have a device that you can buy extra that mounts a bell. A nice thing about the mount is it has vellcro to hold it down. These Futz pedals a pretty fast and simple, but I have wondered how well they will hold up in the long run, being made of plastic and all.

Garvin: Was the horizontal mount a commercial device or did you cobble it up? One of the things I like about the horizontal mount is it let me get control of the volume. A cowbell is loud and the foot strong, so the short throw helped match the dynamics with my hand drums.

Last edited by bongodoggie; 06-15-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

A double Cowbell with two pedals ( like double bass) kit would be interesting.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
A double Cowbell with two pedals ( like double bass) kit would be interesting.

I've wondered about that, maybe a duelist type with a different pitch bell for each beater. As it is, my setup has a nice tonal contrast between the left foot Nigerian log and the right foot cowbell.

Having the cowbell on the right foot helps me 'ride' on the bell, playing more syncopated patterns like the casacara. The left foot then can be free to accent on the djun djun with the slave or play straight goat toe nail shaker, or play a clave on the wood log. I play these parts slowly at first, counting, and try for exact beat placement within the hand part.