DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 06-19-2008, 12:40 AM
Silver Member

Default Who'd wanna be a Mod?

As in a Moderator at Drummerworld [DB or NJ] not a member of the 60s pop movement? Trawling through endless posts, trying not to interfere too much, allowing adults to behave like adults...well, sometimes!! Deciding when things have gone 'too far' [always gonna be subjective] and then suffering the backlash [did anyone else ever read the pms that DB got?? not nice!]
Is it a thankless task? or would one get some satisfaction from helping to maintain a popular and, generally, well behaved site?? I personally wouldn't be interested, how about you??
Old 06-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Who'd wanna be a Mod?

No way!

These guys must have no life at all.

Their poor wives!!

Just kidding guys! Although I wouldn't want the job, you guys do a great job of keeping the site clean and up to date.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:23 AM
Administrator

I have a good bit of free time, live on the East coast, and wouldn't mind. I just don't know if I would pass the entrance exam.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:29 AM
Silver Member

I actually have moderated IRC channels and forums before and I wouldn't mind the task.

It gives you really a chance to be able to clean and organize the content being provided so that it becomes a more valuable resource as well as a safe friendly place anyone can come to access that information.

But I think DB and NJ do fine.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:55 AM
Pioneer Member

I think I would. I'd feel good about it. Plus the mods are the reason this is such a clean, pleasant forum to be a part of!

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 06-19-2008, 02:01 AM

yeah i've been a mod once on a site that was going to hell from spammers and i helped keep it clean for about two days, then the site shut down two weeks later and now i stay away from the job because it's so time consuming espesialy when you have dial-up. which i don tanymore for the most time.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

I'd do it. Does that get me into NAMM? LOL
Old 06-19-2008, 04:18 AM
blade123

I would do it. No doubt. I'm on the west coast, so I could get late at night trolls.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:37 AM
Platinum Member

yes...

i have emailed Bernhard bout it...but didnt get a response...which is fine....

but yes i would...i think i would like it...and i am on here most of the day anyway..

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 06-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Gold Member

I mod over at the sputnik forums and have done for a long time now. This place is far more tame than what Ive had to trawl through over there, but I still feel like Im providing a service to those who genuinely wish to contribute.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

I doubt any of us would ever becomes mods, but I would probably take the job if I was asked. It would bring a kind of personal satisfaction to logging onto drummerworld. I'm in a different time zone than B, DB and NJ, so if someone were to spam at say 7:00 my time, it would be to late for B and NJ to fix it, and DB would probably still be working.

Personally I think Karl should have been promoted to a mod a while back. Maybe we could give minor powers to GD, MFB, Karl, etc, you know, responsible members that can use proper punkcuation...grammerr...speling. Give them the power to delete obvious spam threads.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

I'd do it, but not for free. ^_^
Old 06-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Pioneer Member

There is no way that I could do it. I simply don't have the patience to be as attentive or the desire to put up with the amount of BS. Thomas and Jason manage to be professional and address issues (mostly) in an attentive manner. While I am cynical enough to believe that everyone has their price I don't think Bernhard could pay me enough to do what our mods do. There is a reason why this is by far the best drummer forum anywhere and the reason is truly Bernhard and the moderators. Some might suggest that the reason this forum is so great is because of the professional drummers who frequent this place but I think you will find that if the mods did not do the job they do then those professionals would not bother to show up. Just my thoughts.

I also suspect that some of those offering to do the job don't realize the time, the energy and the personal restraint that the mods show.

Paul
Old 06-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
I doubt any of us would ever becomes mods, but I would probably take the job if I was asked. It would bring a kind of personal satisfaction to logging onto drummerworld. I'm in a different time zone than B, DB and NJ, so if someone were to spam at say 7:00 my time, it would be to late for B and NJ to fix it, and DB would probably still be working.

Personally I think Karl should have been promoted to a mod a while back. Maybe we could give minor powers to GD, MFB, Karl, etc, you know, responsible members that can use proper punkcuation...grammerr...speling. Give them the power to delete obvious spam threads.
Great post....slight problem with describing gruntersdad, mediocrefunkybeat as 'responsible members'!! Only in the context of 'who the hell is responsible for this...' only teasing guys...
Old 06-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
I'd do it, but not for free. ^_^
I've heard you're reasonably priced.....
Old 06-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

I would love to do it. I'm sure I would have a great sense of satisfaction by helping to maintain such a wonderful forum for the drumming community.

I used to run a forum that had nearly 10,000 members and about 100 post average per day. Being a mod is just like being at work in a sense. You have to develop a schedule and a routine. The only glitch was, if you logged on, you needed to read all of the new posts before you logged out. If you logged out, you risked something bad getting by.

I give Bern, Nutha and Dog all the credit they deserve. They do a great job and appear to work well with one another.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
I give Bern, Nutha and Dog all the credit they deserve. They do a great job and appear to work well with one another.
Not really - Nutha does what he wants and starts silly Bonham threads....and Dog bans at his discretion all the nice guys i'm missing so much.

So i'm not around very much and not sure about my english: it's fine.

Bernhard
Old 06-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
Not really - Nutha does what he wants and starts silly Bonham threads....and Dog bans at his discretion all the nice guys i'm missing so much.

So i'm not around very much and not sure about my english: it's fine.

Bernhard
I already new that stuff, I was speaking of points beyond thier quirks and imperfections :-) Your english is great. I miss some of those nice guys that Doggie banned too. They brought so much love and spunk to the forum. Oh well... lol.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:52 PM

No way in hell.

I couldn't even come close to doing as good of a job as these two beats
Old 06-21-2008, 11:23 PM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cable View Post
As in a Moderator at Drummerworld [DB or NJ] not a member of the 60s pop movement? Trawling through endless posts, trying not to interfere too much, allowing adults to behave like adults...well, sometimes!! Deciding when things have gone 'too far' [always gonna be subjective] and then suffering the backlash [did anyone else ever read the pms that DB got?? not nice!]
Is it a thankless task? or would one get some satisfaction from helping to maintain a popular and, generally, well behaved site?? I personally wouldn't be interested, how about you??
No Thanks, JC!

I have a life.

;-)
Old 06-22-2008, 07:29 AM

Location: Getting ready to move to Spokane, WA.Born in California live in Washington State

I would make a real bad moderator. They may not even pass this note I am going to write. I can't spell so the hacks would jump all over me for that and wish me to hell. Then when they start having a pissing contest about who is a better drummer, what brands are better, mine is bigger, I can read music , I don't need to read music and on and on and on. I would get banned for telling them their b@!!$ have not dropped yet and grow up already. And all the mean people who nit pick at what people say and get down right rude arrogant towards others and call them names while they are swearing at them. I am a very patient person and I give the mods a lot of credit for turning the other cheek ( that is pretty dangerous around here when some people get on a tangent) and putting a lock on a subject and deleting gossipy garbage. Most of the people here are pretty darn great. It would be a very puny experience for me to be a mod but not suitable for the range of ages on here and would lack some all due respect with my naughty dry humor.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:44 PM
nhzoso

Not for me, of course I don't think I ever have to worry about it either ; ) Especially when there are so many other's here who are constantly showing us how smart and popular they are as well as just great drummers that I can only begin to comprehend. Plus they are really nice people and always have something nice to say even if you have to go to webster's and look up a few words. I think we are covered if DB or Nutha ever give it up.
Excellent topic JC.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Not for me, of course I don't think I ever have to worry about it either ; ) Especially when there are so many other's here who are constantly showing us how smart and popular they are as well as just great drummers that I can only begin to comprehend. Plus they are really nice people and always have something nice to say even if you have to go to webster's and look up a few words. I think we are covered if DB or Nutha ever give it up.
Excellent topic JC.
Thank you my friend...got the [possibly erroneous] impression that you had the very tip of your tongue in your cheek....as an aside; if someone wants to be a moderator, should that automatically make them unacceptable for the position [and the HUGE salary!!]????