DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-12-2008, 05:44 AM
otway otway is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60
Default Recording device

Hey guys.

Well as the title says, I wana find out about recording devices.. You see.. i want to start to record my practicing in order to work on my technique and proficiency and blah blah.. any way.. My band records our ideas with an old cassette recorder :S.. which my guitarist then digitizes and adjusts the sound etc and it works out pretty decent...

basically.. i don't want to have to go through all this trouble.. I thought the solution would be to buy a usb condenser mic and attach it to my laptop and i will get pretty decent recordings but i realized this will be a little bit pricey for what i had in mind.. cause i do plan to purchase drum mics one day so i will just get proper condenser mics some time...

*Sigh* im going on too much.. ok so what i want.. is either a suitable handheld digital recorder or another good idea as to how i can get recordings that are good enough to review and not be disgusted by the quality... Maybe i'm asking for too much, maybe i'm not.. But i'm confident that one of you here have an answer for me and some suitable advice.. as always.

So... thanks for the ongoing great advice I always seem to receive here
Nick
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-12-2008, 04:20 PM
jayp's Avatar
jayp jayp is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 730
Default Re: Recording device

Here you go, do not look any further, this is all you need.

Zoom H4

Zoom h2
__________________
Ludwig / Bosphorus / Zildjian
"If you mess up, just play it twice" - Miles Davis
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-12-2008, 07:00 PM
cavica cavica is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 130
Default Re: Recording device

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp View Post
Here you go, do not look any further, this is all you need.

Zoom H4

Zoom h2
wow those look really nice. Can anyone review them, give the pros and cons ect?
thanks,
cavica
__________________
Drums- Mapex Saturns, Cymbals- Zildjian, Sabian. Sticks- Zildjian
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2008, 07:19 PM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Recording device

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavica View Post
wow those look really nice. Can anyone review them, give the pros and cons ect?
thanks,
cavica
I have the H4. It's a fantastic device. It functions as not just a straight recorder but a 4 track as well. You can record to a few different bit rates of wav and also direct to MP3. All files are saved on an SD Card (upgrade to the 2GB if you get one) and can hold hours and hours of material.

These are a few mp3's I've made with it:

http://www.handidrummed.com/grooving2.mp3
http://www.handidrummed.com/drummers.../rob_ryan1.mp3
http://www.handidrummed.com/zoomh4test.mp3
http://www.handidrummed.com/neworleans.mp3
http://www.handidrummed.com/myrtle.mp3
http://www.handidrummed.com/myrtlehigh.mp3
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-13-2008, 05:13 AM
cavica cavica is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 130
Default Re: Recording device

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I have the H4. It's a fantastic device. It functions as not just a straight recorder but a 4 track as well. You can record to a few different bit rates of wav and also direct to MP3. All files are saved on an SD Card (upgrade to the 2GB if you get one) and can hold hours and hours of material.

These are a few mp3's I've made with it:

http://www.handidrummed.com/grooving2.mp3
http://www.handidrummed.com/drummers.../rob_ryan1.mp3
http://www.handidrummed.com/zoomh4test.mp3
http://www.handidrummed.com/neworleans.mp3
http://www.handidrummed.com/myrtle.mp3
http://www.handidrummed.com/myrtlehigh.mp3
those recordings are really good quality. Could it serve as a recorder for my band for us to save some money an buy a full recoding setup? We probably would use no more than three tracks (drums, guitar, vocals, base).
P.S. Nice grooves!
__________________
Drums- Mapex Saturns, Cymbals- Zildjian, Sabian. Sticks- Zildjian

Last edited by cavica; 02-13-2008 at 05:14 AM. Reason: spelling < drumming
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-13-2008, 05:16 AM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Recording device

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavica View Post
those recordings are really good quality. Could it serve as a recorder for my band for us to save some money an buy a full recoding setup? We probably would use no more than three tracks (drums, guitar, vocals, base).
P.S. Nice grooves!

Thanks.

Yes. I honestly haven't had the need for this so I don't know anything about how to do it, but it can serve as a 4 track as well. It also has to external mic inputs and you can record with a guitar directly if you wish too.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-13-2008, 05:43 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,437
Default Re: Recording device

Affordable excellence.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLYMPUS-WS-320M-...QQcmdZViewItem

This little unit works great for recording practices/gigs (place under bass drum hoop-front on bass rig side, use 10k mic setting). Runs on 1-AAA USB plug in. You can score these, or lesser memory models for well under $100 US.

You may not need the 1 gig of space (flash card) on the WS 320, any of the WS recorders sound great. The VS seires- less features, still great sound. Doubles as an MP3 player..Olympus sounds best, don't even consider Sony, Panasonic, others...sound quality is not there in their small voice recorder lines.

Insane to spend $250-300 for a compact recorder (Zoom, Edirol etc.) with features you'll never use doing commado style recordings. After hearing my WS, a guitar palyer friend dumped his Edirol R09 for one.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-13-2008, 05:40 PM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Recording device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Insane to spend $250-300 for a compact recorder (Zoom, Edirol etc.) with features you'll never use doing commado style recordings. After hearing my WS, a guitar palyer friend dumped his Edirol R09 for one.
The Olympus is $230 new http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-WS-320.../dp/B000BJ3BRO so that just threw your argument out the window. You can find Zooms and Edirols cheap on Ebay as well. Zoom H4's often show up for around $150 on Ebay, and the H2 is even cheaper.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Jon Jon's Avatar
Jon Jon Jon Jon is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: THE state of TEXAS
Posts: 17
Default Re: Recording device

The H4 is too good actually. I had somebody use it at a large club my band played at and he placed it about 20'-0" from the stage and it picked the band up absolutell awesome, but also got a little too much crowd noise but I was still able to market the recording as live.
H4 in my opinion is highlly recomended if you have the means.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,437
Default Re: Recording device

The Olympus is $230 new, that just threw your argument out the window.

14" Evolution Hi Hats are $720 new, Iron Cobra double Pedals are $520 new and Ludwig Supra 6.5" are $950 new, so that clearly that throws 'your' argument out the window.

This isn't a 'bass players' forum fourstringdrums. If you actually read my post, its stated you can get an Olympus delivered for well under $100, some can be had for under $50 new.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-14-2008, 01:33 AM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Recording device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
The Olympus is $230 new, that just threw your argument out the window.

14" Evolution Hi Hats are $720 new, Iron Cobra double Pedals are $520 new and Ludwig Supra 6.5" are $950 new, so that clearly that throws 'your' argument out the window.
..and if you had clicked on the link I supplied, you would have seen that Amazon.com is selling the Olympus for $230. I did not mean list price, I meant the actual selling price. I checked around a few other places as well, and its average price is $200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
This isn't a 'bass players' forum fourstringdrums.
This comment makes no sense. I am a drummer, and yes I did play bass at one time, but I do not any longer. Even still, this comment makes no sense on my initial comment.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-09-2008, 06:59 PM
BigSexyPanda BigSexyPanda is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 91
Default Re: Recording device

sorry to bring back a really old thread, but I had a few questions and I didn't want to start a new thread and get flamed for it. I was just wondering in terms of sound quality and durability and pretty much every other way, how much better is the H4 then the H2? I heard the recordings with the H4 and I really liked the way it sounded and I was wondering how the h2 compared. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-10-2008, 05:14 PM
dmb_drummer's Avatar
dmb_drummer dmb_drummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bryan, Ohio
Posts: 72
Default Re: Recording device

Me and my friend wanted to start recording, so he went and bought a Snowball http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blue-Sno...19-i1127343.gc(yes I know it's a weird name) at Guitar Center for only $99. It's a USB mic, so recording is simple. It has 3 switches: 1st switch is used for vocals and guitar, 2nd is used for bass and I use it for drums, and 3rd is used for vocals and drums. I really don't remember all the details. The recording software that we use is free, called Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/. It works wonders, and is easy.
__________________
Pearl, PDP, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Evans, Remo
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,437
Default Re: Recording device

..and if you had clicked on the link I supplied, you would have seen that Amazon.com is selling the Olympus for $230

Who cares about Amazon and what's your point? The Olympus were (I'm) discussing here can be had on ebay for under $100 so why would you want to go to Amazon and pay $230? That'd be thinking like a bass player.

I play bass too, was a bass player before I was a drummer.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-11-2008, 04:54 AM
bojangleman's Avatar
bojangleman bojangleman is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
Default Re: Recording device

i have Audacity, and it does work wonders...its amazing!

and what do you think of the snowball? do you have any recording on the pc with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb_drummer View Post
Me and my friend wanted to start recording, so he went and bought a Snowball http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blue-Sno...19-i1127343.gc(yes I know it's a weird name) at Guitar Center for only $99. It's a USB mic, so recording is simple. It has 3 switches: 1st switch is used for vocals and guitar, 2nd is used for bass and I use it for drums, and 3rd is used for vocals and drums. I really don't remember all the details. The recording software that we use is free, called Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/. It works wonders, and is easy.
Alex
__________________
Band:
http://www.myspace.com/springloadedcomeback
Add Us!
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-13-2008, 06:25 AM
BigSexyPanda BigSexyPanda is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 91
Default Re: Recording device

haha talk about the thread going in a totally different way then I expected. I didn't mean to bring back an old argument, let that be done with please. I was also just wondering if anyone used the H2 and how it compared to the H4, or if it was just a totally different device? Thanks for any help given.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-18-2008, 08:04 AM
gocatgo gocatgo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10
Default Re: Recording device

I have a H2 and it works great for recording band practice. I even recorded my drum track and sent in to my gutairist and he put bass, gutair, and vocals to it and sent it back and it sounds pretty good consitering I recorded the drums in my livingroom. This have made my practice aat home and band practice much more productive. Well worth the $200.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com