DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 05-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Gold Member

Default Both bands doing pretty wWell now.

For those of you interested, I am writing about the pros and cons of the two bands that I am in. Most of the stuff is GREAT, but I am venting a bit about somethings.

I am now in two bands. One is a classic hard rock cover band and the other is a classic soft rock cover band.

The Hard Rock Cover Band has it's first 2 gigs lined up. One at a local guitar center in June and a private party in July. We might be playing a couple of large biker festivals in August and September.

We have about 6 songs down and could play 8 or 9 if need be.

This is really exciting for me, and will be a personnel milestone. When I started playing a few years ago, one of my major goals was to play an actual gig.

I just wish the guys in this band would practice more intelligently. I get frustrated at practice when we play and we make the same mistakes in the same songs over and over again. The guys just don't seem to want to do the same song over and over until we get it right. I don't understand. They seem to get bored and want to move on.

Had my first official practice with band #2 last night. Oddly enough, we played about 10 songs pretty well. This band has not been together as long as my other band, but they seem to do their "homework" a lot better. I really did my homework, charted out most of the songs and actually made it through all of the ones we did on my first attempt. When something didn't feel right, we did it over. Some songs we did 4 times in a row. They seem to have a much better work ethic than my other band and don't mind putting in the time on their own or at the practice session to get it right.

My only complaint with the new band, is that they play so friggin quietly. I play loud and this is proving to be a challenge for me. In the end, learning to play with dynamics will probably come in handy. By the end of practice, it was getting easier, but I found myself really needing to "think" while playing.

Now, I want to try to get my first band to practice more intelligently. Perhaps now that we actually have gigs booked, they will do their homework.

Sorry for the rambling, but this is just an exciting time for me. I am living my dream now and having so much fun that I just want to tell everyone I can.

You guys and gals out here have helped me so much during the last 3 years. I do not think I would be where I am as a drummer (and mind you, it isn't great!) without all the input, suggestions and support you have given me.

Thanks

Mike
Old 05-30-2008, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Both Bands doing Pretty Well now.

Hang in there Mike.

Band number two sounds like it's a good thing for you on a couple of levels. Band mates who practice intelligently and do their homework is rewarding for all involved.You know, "iron sharpens iron".You're also getting experience with dynamics and perhaps this will eventually rub off on them as well .

As for band number one, stick with it for now . That is the band that has gigs lined up.
You're preparing and practicing smart and it will show. If they don't grow at least you can have yourself in a position of networking with other musicians and can move on, if need be.

It looks like you have yourself in a pretty good position. You'll find yourself in the band (or bands) you want.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

I agree, play as much as you can. Also one gig is better then 10 practices, you will find this after you play one. I think you may want to point out to these guys that a gig at the Guitar Center means there will be musicians there, I would think they would want to sound as good as they possibly can.

I do not know if you have tried this but it works for me. When there is a repeated mistake regardless of who it is. Myself or anybody else I stop and say lets get this right.

As for the volume level of the second band, I would suggest trying smaller sticks and / or hot rods. This will give you the ability to play quietly without it taking away form the feeling of the groove.

Best of luck with all of it.

Oh and I used to live in Quartz Hill - L6
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 05-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the responses.

I will look into Hot Rods and/or lighter sticks.

I never had to think about that before.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I will look into Hot Rods and/or lighter sticks.

I never had to think about that before.
Just don't expect the lighter sticks to be the final answer, although if you're playing with heavy sticks now it would be a good idea.

Sounds good, and the best part is you're enjoying it.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

I downsized my stick size from Vater 3A Fatbacks to a New Orleans (0.58" to 0.55") and found that I could control the stick a little better and my dynamic range has greatly improved. I tend to play a little quieter than I used to, but with dramatically less effort compared to before. I actually got told that I could have got away with playing louder at a bit of a reggae gig I had a month or so ago.

Don't use the hotrods unless thats the sound you're after. They have a distinctive 'clicky' sound that doesn't always work with the music, something I figure might be the case with your soft rock band. Unless you're going for that MTV Unplugged sound where all the rock drummers just rock up with hotrods and play normally rather than exercising reasonable dynamic control.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
Unless you're going for that MTV Unplugged sound where all the rock drummers just rock up with hotrods and play normally rather than exercising reasonable dynamic control.
Dave Grohl wasn't too bad.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Gold Member

Hey, Mike...

First of all, congrats on getting to your first gig! That's really awesome, man. What kind of gig is it? I've never heard of Guitar Center having bands in...I've also never heard of a store hiring a band to play 8-9 songs (as opposed to a few sets)...tell us more about the gig, man!

As far as the problem with your first band...sadly, that's a VERY common problem. Especially in rock cover bands, where there's a "close enough to recognize is fine" mentality. Sometimes, you have to stand up and be "the bad guy." Without being mean, if there's a problem with a part of the song, then tell them it sounds wrong...work just that part, figure out (as a band) what is wrong, and then run it, the right way, A LOT.

I tormented my band with this at first, but now it's something they are all used to. Literally, I'll say, "Ok, that's fixed. Let's take it from the top of that verse" (or whereever the problem is). Play to the end of the verse (or whereever the problem is), cut the band, and say, "Again," and click it right back off. I will do this 10-30 times (depending on the complexity of the mistake) without even a pause...and if the mistake happens again, I reset that counter in my head.

It may seem anal, but my band learns those hard parts...and we've never once had a mistake on stage after doing that.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums