DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-14-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Joey Jordison

I don't like either Slipknot or Joey jordison so i might be little prejudiced here, but I think joey jordison is a tasteless drummer. i was forced to watch some of his solos on Youtube because apparently the guitarist in my band is a fan of slipknot. they sucked. all of his solos are bunch of fast bass drum work and some fast snares thrown in.. most boring solos ever. even Tommy Lee solo will be better.

that said, now i'm gonna get flamed by hardcore slipknot fans.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of the Beholder View Post
I don't like either Slipknot or Joey jordison so i might be little prejudiced here, but I think joey jordison is a tasteless drummer.
Could you elaborate a little more please? Is your point of view based strictly on his solo performances? Please give a little more meat to your opinon cuz I am curious about what it is spicifically that helps you to think that he is a "tasteless drummer."

Last edited by That Guy; 10-14-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWfan20005 View Post
Your just angry cause you use Mapex,I would be too, cause MAPEX DRUMS SUCK! The only music they are good for is jazz and funk,period.
You're completly wrong. I play a lot of Slipknot songs with my Mapex drum set and it sounds amazing. Just beacuse a lot of metal drummers use Tama or Pearl it doesn't mean that a Mapex won't sound as good as them. Aquiles Priester uses a Mapex and it really sounds good.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:52 AM

it doesnt matter what brand of kit it is, a drum kit can be tuned to suit any genre, thought that was common knowledge

Old 10-31-2007, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

Sorry to be off topic here but since when were Mapex drums good for jazz and funk...period? They started out as a rock drum brand and that is still mainly what they are used for. They're good drums.

Anyway, I think Joey is good at what he plays. He doesn't stand out as anything special nor as bad as so many seem to think. He's just a good metal player that has had a bit too much publicity thrown his way and, of course, where there is publicity, there is criticism.

As far as his soloing goes, if he didn't play big, fast double bass ridden solos he wouldn't be a very good metal player as that is exactly what is wanted for metal drumming. He plays what the music calls for.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:44 AM

Slipknot has plenty of dynamic to their music, which can be pretty tough to play. Until you listen to every part of every song then you can't say whether he sucks or not, because odds are you missed something. I'll admit, I can feel a headache coming on if I hear too much jordison, but that's my taste; he's a very talented drummer with hordes of die-hard fans across the globe. In my mind, thats success... or am I missing something here? He's also a guitar player (shreds, in fact) for other bands, i.e. the Murder Dolls. Just FYI
Old 11-07-2007, 04:12 AM
Gilded

I hear Shawn and Chris (the two percussionists) aren't even mic'd up for most of the live concerts, just show really. But if you listen to some older songs you can hear them, especialy in Scissors - Slipknot.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:33 PM

..well,....actually,....if those to guys are gone,...joey would still not be better,...cause they have nothing to do with him in the first place....those two guys,.even though they leave the band,.Joey would still be performing the same,...do you get it???..i hope so.......

..and those two guys,.they help with the vocals and,..they just do the hittin of those barrels (lolxx i dont know what to call those things) for additional drumlike sounds...and doing stunts and other freaky stuff....so,..it would be the same even if they leave..
Old 03-27-2008, 12:00 AM
lewisn27

i think it wouldn't make a difference if those other dudes weren't there. especialy that dude hitting a beer keg with a baseball bat, he is pointless. but it is fun to watch them jump in the crowd and stuff. it does add to the entertainment aspect but not the musical aspect.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey♥joeyjordison View Post
..well,....actually,....if those to guys are gone,...joey would still not be better,...cause they have nothing to do with him in the first place....those two guys,.even though they leave the band,.Joey would still be performing the same,...do you get it???..i hope so.......

..and those two guys,.they help with the vocals and,..they just do the hittin of those barrels (lolxx i dont know what to call those things) for additional drumlike sounds...and doing stunts and other freaky stuff....so,..it would be the same even if they leave..
Sorry, but I couldn't really understand that. :D
Joey's pretty cool, he's a bit of a flash git, overplaying a few times, but I rate his speed.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resok View Post
Sorry, but I couldn't really understand that. :D
Joey's pretty cool, he's a bit of a flash git, overplaying a few times, but I rate his speed.

...oooohh...sorry,.my english is kinda bad..what i was trying to say is....eventhough those two percussionists leave the band,.still nothing's going to change with joey..
Old 05-01-2008, 01:06 AM

His speed, precision and technical ability are amazing, imo. The only Slipknot CD I have is The Subliminal Verses, so I'm basing my opinion mostly on that. As far as style goes, what he plays fits the band's sound. Sometimes he seems a little dry/mechanical, to me: fast, energetic and precise, but not much groove.

He is highly respectable as a drummer, at the very least. I can see why he has so many fans.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ___madworld View Post
dont you think that he would be a lot better without the other two "percussionists" in slipknot?
Yes I do...You can't here them at all.
There just there for show to me.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:45 PM

I personaly don't care for him at all.
The only thing decent on him is his foot speed.
But uhh yeah...Dave Makintosh beats him by far!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:18 PM

Like with Travis Barker, the amount of discussion about this guy is disproportionate to his actual ability.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:22 PM
ihatesticktricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcherryfade View Post
Wasn't Buddy Rich the first to do the rotating upside-down stage thingy?
i think it might have been Peter Criss from KISS
Old 05-22-2008, 05:32 PM

Actually I live in Iowa, and a year or 2 ago I was at the local guitar center and joey was in there playing his own signature kit that they had set up for sale
i wouldnt touch any drumset in there while he was there, i was too intimidated

it was wild.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:40 PM

Hey guys
Just wondering about what sort of tuning i could use to get Joey Jordisons sound on toms?
Does he have both bottom and top heads tuned low , or one tuned higher than the other etc?
I know i won't be able to mimic his exact sound , but id like to get close :)
Thanks alot
Old 05-24-2008, 12:04 AM

Infact even those this is an old thread it wouldnt make a difference. They are just backround noises like the dumpsters and stuff just little backup. Infact they are backup percusionists and thank you ihatesticktricks for pointing out that he is extremely over rated! Also i cant stand it when my friends are like dude did u see travis barker playing dude he is the fastest and most insane drummer ever! it just drives me crazy. for speed look at george kollias he has true talent not only in speed but creativity!
Old 05-31-2008, 01:14 AM

Hey guys , i know you can't mimic this guys sound exactly. But how would you tune toms to sound like his? Is it batter head very low or what?
Thanks alot.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Mystic

I don't think anyone understands that joey is not a complete speed demon, if you actually listen to some Slipknot tracks and not just listen to how damn fast every instrument is going, you can hear that he is using a lot of creative techniques and beats. He is not a fast drummer in my opinion, now inferno on the other hand phew get him some ice for those chops.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:05 AM
ThisSpitefulSnake

Yeah, Joey's not the best, but neither is anyone else. There is no "best" drummer. He's really good and I have respect for him as a drummer and he's just a great guy. He was the one who influenced me to play drums. Now I'm influenced by him still and Chris Adler and Tomas Haake.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:33 AM
(sic)chic

Have you seen him play???!!!
He's amazing! I would kill to be able to play like him!

=) Luv yhoo guyz
Old 07-28-2008, 06:56 AM
(sic)chic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Eh, Joey's not that great. I saw his solo on that DVD... it got boring after the first minute. All it was was double bass and rolls. All crowd-pleasers.
Oh my gosh! = 0
No Way!!! Joey is great and how could you get bored watching him??
He's cool as... but I still respect what you have to say, everyone is different.

=)
Old 07-28-2008, 02:24 PM

I doubt he will ever be in the class with George kollias or pete sandoval or any of them but he fits slipknot and that is what is important. He has also helped drumming alot. He has done what every drummer has ever wanted to do. There not my fav band but i can respect his talent.. and he solo wasnt good drumming wise but it looked sick!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:42 PM

The worst thing about people insulting Joey Jordison is that he doesn't claim to be amazing. He just does a style of drumming that he and the Slipknot audience enjoy.

But besides that, when people insult Jordison they aren't doing it based on HIS skill. They are insulting him because they don't like the band which is ludicrous.

I have seen Joey Jordison play a proper solo and he is actually incredible. I don't doubt that he can hold his own against the greats. He does usually play in standard 4/4 from what I can tell but he has incredible technical skill and in that regard he may even beat out people such as Portnoy, Moon, Carey, and Peart.

Joey Jordison is an immaculate drummer skill-wise. I just don't think he has the creativity that people like Portnoy and Carey demonstrated or showmanship that people like Moon demonstrated.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:12 PM

I can see Joey Jordison being a very very talented drummer. To me it seems Slipknot limits him in his ability to explore further on the drums. Who knows if he was with the right type of metal band maybe you could hear more technical and more creative drumming from him.

For an example I think Martin Lopez whom I also believe is very talented drummer was fortunate enough to be in the prog metal band Opeth. Opeth I believed allowed Lopez to be able to bring about his Jazz and blues influences to the band.

If Jordison was in a metal band like Opeth I think we would hear a much better Joey Jordison.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:32 AM

N.J.J. has influenced me quite a bit as a drummer. Since 1999 I have tried to create my own sound and my own style as an aspiring percussionist, and got my beginnings not just on the kit, but also as a symphony percussionist, having played other instruments such as Timpany, Stand Up Bass Drum, Triangle, Xylaphone, Concert Snare, and other percussion instruments such as congas, tamborines, hand cymbals, and others. Since my start in '99 I have grown to love his style even though it highly relies on his footwork, and only recently having tried to get my feet to move as fast as his can I really say that I honor him for his work because it is damn hard to get it perfect. He might be somewhat of a linear styled drummer, but it works very well for his music, it contributes to his band, and it still shows his skill as he more often than not breaks into a crazy beat or groove that you are not expecting, but generally that tends to happen in the studio during a warmup as opposed to a live show- or so I have heard. And for his height, about 5'5", he packs a hell of a punch on those drums of his. So with that being said I think those who believe he is just a linear drummer without much skill are entitled to their opinions, but should pay respect to him because he has obviously done very well for himself and has gone very far. Someday I'd love to meet the man even if it was for a short while and I could only ask him a few questions...which of course if that was the case, would take me quite a bit to think about :P And finally I just wanted to add I just picked up a really nice '82 pearl vintage birch kit in blood red, and of course I picked up the JJ Sig. Snare, Sticks, and P2000C PowerShifter Eliminator Pedals which sound absolutely bloody AMAZING. I dream of someday owning an MMX Masters kit like his, complementary to one of my other custom kits.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I don't think anyone understands that joey is not a complete speed demon, if you actually listen to some Slipknot tracks and not just listen to how damn fast every instrument is going, you can hear that he is using a lot of creative techniques and beats. He is not a fast drummer in my opinion, now inferno on the other hand phew get him some ice for those chops.
I know what you mean. He sounds fast but if you actually watch his hands, he complements his hands with his feet a lot, and he plays in four note groups a lot, such as HHFF, H being Hand and F being Foot. Then he just alternates toms, and played in 16ths it sounds BLAZINGLY fast, not to mention the tuning of his MMX Masters toms gives them that added punch. Glad to see I'm not the only one who picked up on that ;)
Old 08-11-2008, 06:56 PM

It looks like Joey has started using triggers now on his kit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:J..._at_Mayhem.jpg

Is this year the first time he has used triggers live? I thought he was against using them before.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:14 PM

i am 15, and iv been listening to music ever since i can remember, iv been playing drums for only about a year and Lars Ulrich and Joey Jordison are 2 people that really turned me into drumming. it was joey who first shown me what a double bass pedal was, when i first saw it, i was stunned, and ever since i saw him using it, iv always wanted to buy one, but i cant get the money of ma mum. When i saw him do his solo on the disasterpiece dvd in London, he stepped it up another notch in my eyes, i hope to see them in england this december. If anyone could give me any tips on drumming, i will be happy to read them. Thanks
Old 08-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Pioneer Member

He's using triggers now? Aww, shame. I always respected him because he didn't. When I saw them live in 04' I couldn't believe how consistent the notes were at some pretty high tempos. Like Get this for example, the double bass near the end is just so powerful. Blows me away every time, even when I see a live video.

All I can assume is that he's gonna be playing really fast now. Crazy little dude.

T

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 08-12-2008, 04:25 PM

charlyivan,

Here is Get This from last month with Joey using triggers -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kss4lbE_Fnk

You can certainly tell the difference in his bass drum sound!

I reacon he has finally switched over to using them just for the consistency in the kicks and to replicate the kick sound on the albums, there is no reason that any big name metal or rock drummer shouldn't be using triggers now. The benefits are huge.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Could you elaborate a little more please? Is your point of view based strictly on his solo performances? Please give a little more meat to your opinon cuz I am curious about what it is spicifically that helps you to think that he is a "tasteless drummer."

He obviously hasn't hear the latest from Slipknot LOL
Old 09-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNRFAN View Post
charlyivan,

Here is Get This from last month with Joey using triggers -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kss4lbE_Fnk

You can certainly tell the difference in his bass drum sound!

I reacon he has finally switched over to using them just for the consistency in the kicks and to replicate the kick sound on the albums, there is no reason that any big name metal or rock drummer shouldn't be using triggers now. The benefits are huge.
There is a good reason. I have a bass drum that sounds lovely, and it cost me a lot of money. Why would I want to replace that sound that I've spent good time and money getting with a trigger when I can be just as consistent at these speeds? Fair enough if you're pushing 240bpm+, even though Derek Roddy can hit speeds like that with no triggers, but he's a bit of an exception. Anyhow, Joey's only hitting 210bpm or so, and he can do it without the triggers. Why bother? Yeah, it takes a bit less time out of setting up, but at the end of the day it's just laziness IMO.

And I watched the video, the kicks stick out far too much, which is another thing I hate about triggers. You have to get the mix right, and this mix isn't.

This is all just a matter of opinion though, so there you are.

T

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 09-07-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutin View Post
And I watched the video, the kicks stick out far too much, which is another thing I hate about triggers. You have to get the mix right, and this mix isn't.
Well it all depends how much you are relying on triggers to provide the kick sound if you do a mix between triggers and micing in the kick drum the result is a very nice warm powerful sound if you use the right type of kick trigger sample and micing. It doesn't all have to be loud and clicky just because your using triggers, its just most metal drummers want them this way.

Joey is just going for the loud stick out clicky type of sound which most metal drummers seem to want.

You can do a lot more with triggers if your not looking for the clicky metal type sound.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:09 PM

I've been a rock/metal fan for many many years but bands like Slipknot do absolutely nothing for me. Jordison does some nice things every now and then but I really don't care much for his style of drumming. I'm not into blast beats or blast anything. I guess if I was 15 years old that kind of stuff might get me all hot and bothered. I'm not saying Joey is a bad drummer because I know there are far worse out there but his style isn't my cup of tea.
I was watching one of his solos on youtube and it's all about double bass. I'd like to hear him with just one bass drum and have him rely more on his hands than feet. Fast double bass licks can hide a lot. For those that enjoy Slipknot and Jordison, have at it. I'll pass.

give me Joe Franco's drum solo from the Klash-Ka-Bob track on the Good Rats Live at Last album over Joey's solo(s) any day of the week.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:55 AM

I miss the Joey tha didn't rely on triggers.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7DaysToTheWolves View Post
I miss the Joey tha didn't rely on triggers.
What people forget is a lot of drummers who are not speed drummers i.e - Tommy Lee, John Miceli, Eric Singer etc. all use triggers for the sound and clearness benefits only not for any other reason other than the sound benefits of triggers far way out any negatives.

Joey probably isn't relying on triggers as such he just wants a really nice sound from all his drums.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:59 PM

Location: The Netherlands, De Kwakel (YES, that is near Amsterdam :P)

I dont get it why people like him..... Really.. it aint that hard what he does I gues he practise his double bass every day an hour (or les..) Boring solo's imo and I hate his songs :D