DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-05-2008, 11:31 PM

Default New DVD...

I'm just about to purchase my first real instructional DVD and im stuch between:

Steve Smith - Drum Set Technique/History of the US Beat
Thomas Lang - Creative Co-ordination and Advanced Foot Technique
Pat Patrillo - Hands, Grooves and Fills

Im looking to diversify my playing and improve my technique, while diverging into other genres e.g. Jazz etc Which one of these DVD's will help me with this, is easy to understand and thorough?

Thanks
Dave
Old 06-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: New DVD...

Pats video for sure, ive seen some clips and I would DEFFFFFFFINITLEY recommend it
Old 06-06-2008, 12:47 AM

I'd DEFINITELY go for Pat's book/cd/dvd combo. It's an amazing tool for drummers of any level. It's got an incredible section on developing your rudimental skill, and also has TONS of play-along tracks, and Pat shows you many different concepts you can use in grooving. Also, the fill concepts are super-easy to grasp and very musical. I'd DEFINITELY recommend this over the other two any day.

Steve's DVD is hardly instructional, it's more about how the drumset has evolved in the past century in different kinds of music.

Thomas' DVD is for experts only, and it isn't practical at all, unless you want to play extreme metal or something that calls for heavily-syncopated double bass...
Old 06-06-2008, 01:13 AM

Mr. Petrillo's book would be the most diverse of the three. However, I don't know why you're limiting yourself to just those three.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Pioneer Member

I'll chime in here and support the Pat Petrillo DVD as well. I have seen both of the others and agree with what Joe P had to say about them... Pat has practical stuff to teach blue collar drummers like us.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

For technique - Jojo Mayer's "Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer"
If you want to diversify, sound technique will help you get there. Best to have a teacher watch your hands, so you develop
good habits to get the most out of these techniques.

For a jazz intro - Billy Ward's "Voices in My Head". He has a musical approach to rudiments, and breaks down some of the mysteries of jazz. You can download charts and play-alongs, and Billy's forum is always open for discussion on the material - Billy will answer any and all questions.

Also, great ones to buy are Billy Ward's "Big Time" and Steve Jordan's "The Groove is Here" - must haves...

Most videos are fun to watch, will give you a couple of licks, but in the long run, they don't teach enough to bring your playing to a new level.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:06 PM

I got Hands, Grooves and Fills today, and im really impressed. i know i've made the right choice.

Dave
Old 06-13-2008, 02:57 AM
Silver Member

Davey

Excellent, I am honored to be your first DVD! I really hope you get alot out of it, and if you have questions, fire away! Have fun, memorize those rudiments, put 'em together, and have fun with the play alongs..If you have trouble playing the groove I wrote for the songs, do one that is similar, as long as you are in time with the tracks. Then, as your skills improve, learn the one that I wrote..

All the Best!

Pat