DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 06-03-2008, 11:25 PM

Default Question about the Roland TD-3 Kit

I have had my TD-3 for about a year now and I have progressed tremendously on it. I recently ordered an Iron Cobra double pedal, and I had two questions about using the pedal with my set. 1. Will there be enough room on the bass drum pad to play a double pedal comfortably? 2. Is there a way I can play double bass with the high hat closed? If my feet are on the bass pedals then I can't get the closed high hat sound. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2008, 02:53 AM

Default Re: Question about the Roland TD-3 Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsfootball View Post
I have had my TD-3 for about a year now and I have progressed tremendously on it. I recently ordered an Iron Cobra double pedal, and I had two questions about using the pedal with my set. 1. Will there be enough room on the bass drum pad to play a double pedal comfortably? 2. Is there a way I can play double bass with the high hat closed? If my feet are on the bass pedals then I can't get the closed high hat sound. Thanks!
I have a TD3 to...

#1. With a double pedal i think the basspad sweetspot is a bit too small but the pad is large enough for 2 hammer. With double I don't get the full sound of a single that strike right in the middle. The double each strike just beside the sweet spot, but that sound ok.... You can upgrade sensitivity of your basspad.

#2. To play the high hat closed just sit something with enough weight to close the pedal and you will be fine... but this way you can't play with the high hat... but for your doublebass work it'll be great!

good doublebass work!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:01 AM
Platinum Member

There won't be a problem with space on the pad, the problem is the shaking of the pad. Those smaller pads are horrible for double bass. They're hard, loud and slide across the floor.

Set your "Hit hat open" sound to the sound that you would use as your closed hat. I assume you can do that with the Rolands.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:45 PM

yea i guess that's the next thing i'm going to save up for...is the mesh double bass pad...it seems a little bigger and sturdier anyways....and yea i can set the high hat open sound to the closed one...but then i can't have an open high hat sound....i guess i'll just have to play with it some and figure something out
Old 06-11-2008, 04:13 PM

I don't know if the TD-3 has rim triggering or not like my TD-9 but if so, you can trigger the rim of one of your toms as a closed hi-hat and play it as a right side closed set of hats. BTW.... My TD-9 has the same kick pad as you TD-3 and its the only downfall to the whole kit. I had to adjust the sensitivity of the pad to accept my double flying dragon pedal but its still somewhat flimsy. I'll be upgrading to the kd120 kick pad next month and throw this thing in the trash.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
I don't know if the TD-3 has rim triggering or not like my TD-9 but if so, you can trigger the rim of one of your toms as a closed hi-hat and play it as a right side closed set of hats..
As long as the pads are Dual Zone it should not be a problem....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsfootball View Post
yea i guess that's the next thing i'm going to save up for...is the mesh double bass pad...it seems a little bigger and sturdier anyways....and yea i can set the high hat open sound to the closed one...but then i can't have an open high hat sound....i guess i'll just have to play with it some and figure something out ..

And yeah the easiest way to play DB with a closed hat is by assigning a hat voice to a rim hit.....