DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-24-2008, 05:09 PM

Default My Sonor 3005

Hey everyone.

I've been hanging around the fringe on here, figured it was time to post a pic of my kit. Right now it's in storage waiting for the studio building to be completed, took the picture when I bought it.

I used to drum years ago, had to give it up but decided life is short and it was time to get back at it. I was originally going to drop a lot of $$ on a high level kit, one of the benefits of being older is more discretionary cash :), but decided to pick up a good quality used kit and see how it goes.

I got this on Ebay a few months back, everything pictured plus a bunch of sticks, brushes and a bag for $700.00. I played Sonor originally and still love them. There weren't any cymbals included but that way I get to choose my own ... which I've been doing $$$. There's also a 400 series double cymbal stand that's not in the picture.

I'll post better pics of the complete set when the building is done. The flash kills the finish, red maple stain, which looks way more rich in person. I wanted to see if I could figure out how to post pictures here anyway.

Let me know what you think, just don't rip me OK?

Last edited by rewdwerkz; 03-24-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: My Sonor 3005

I think you got a good deal for $700. Hope you can get the pics up when your studio if finished.What are the specs of the drums?They Look great!

Tom
Old 03-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Pioneer Member

Definately the "steal" of the year as far as I'm concerned.
$700 for an all-maple kit with that selection of toms and hardware...amazing.
The 3005's are very highly rated, and sound and build wise they compare with kits costing a LOT more.
I used to own a 3003, which was maple/basswood and they were fabulous.
The shell construction is top-notch, and this could be the only kit you'd ever need.
Congrats man!
Cheers
Phil
Old 03-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice finish. Yea id call that the steal of the year too. Thats allot of drums lol. Id have to make a bunch of kits out of that.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:07 PM

Man that is a beautiful kit. :D and with 6 toms, bassdrum, and 2 snares, your kit looks great, man! :D Hope to see the kit with some cymbals :D

Joey
Old 03-24-2008, 09:08 PM

That is a great deal! If it has been a real long period since you last played you may want to tame it down to three toms to get your feel around the kit again. But then again them babies are beggin to go boom. I'd keep the kit even if you decide to upgrade. Be prepared to get lost in the choices of cymbals and makers available nowadays. I wish more sites would offer audios of cymbals and percussion as many companies are now presenting. Almost too many choices and one reason this forum is so excellent is the feedback from other's experiences.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:18 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

Specs:

8x7, 10x9, 12x10 toms, 14x14, 16x16, 18x16 floor toms, 22x17.5 kick, 14x5.5 snare, 10x2 jungle snare.

Toms have coated Ambassadors over stock UT's, kick has a Powersonic batter/stock res., snare has a Powerstroke X (no dot) over stock snare side, jungle snare has stock heads.

Hardware:

400 series single pedal, hi hat, snare stand, 2 mini boom, tom/cymbal stand (with additional Tama cymbal arm), double cymbal stand (not in picture) and throne, 200 series mini boom and 10" snare stand.

Cymbals bought so far:

22" Zildjian A Medium Ride, 14" Zildjian A Mastersound Hi Hats, 18" Zildjian A Custom Crash, 19" Zildjian A Custom Crash.

I grew up with Zildjian, figured I'd stick with what I know for now. But there ARE a lot more options these days. I'm open. Have a few more to get ... can't have empty stands just laying around, lol.

I bought all new Clear Ambassador resonant heads for the toms. I'll put those on and tune 'em up good, but will more than likely be replacing the batters with Clear Emporers. Don't know what I think of the Powersonic yet, gonna have to play with it a while.

Also am looking for a good deal on a double pedal. Narrowed it down to either Pearl Eliminator or an IC. Whatever grabs my attention first will probably be what I get.

Yes it's a bit huge. I wasn't looking for this number of drums, just turned out that way. What I like is the flexibility I can have. Move pieces in and out for all kinds of set ups or, yeah, use the whole thing. I was also a snare-a-holic in my youth, right now I think I'd maybe like another for my primary and set the 3005 off as a side. That jungle snare is a fun little thing. I kinda sniggered when I first saw it but, after playing around with it, it grows on me. Could be useful in some situations.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:23 AM

Welcome back to the Sonor camp & drumming! The best "add-on" I ever made for my 3005's was the purchase of a Gibralter Rack system. I now hang all 13 of my cymbals & drums off the rack. I can load up a set of any type of mx on the pc & drum my little heart out.

Peace
Gibraltar Rack