DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-06-2005, 04:59 AM

Default David Garibaldi

what does everyone think about david garibaldi? if you ask me, he is the grooviest funkiest drummer living and his work with tower of power is groundbreaking.

David Garibaldi page on DrummerWorld

Last edited by DogBreath; 09-27-2005 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Edited to add link to DrummerWorld
Old 09-06-2005, 05:06 AM
jamndrummer

Default Re: david garibaldi

Quote:
by craigwikert

david garibaldi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what does everyone think about david garibaldi? if you ask me, he is the grooviest funkiest drummer living and his work with tower of power is groundbreaking.
I think he is an excellent drummer. That man can lay down some groove
Old 09-06-2005, 08:25 AM

Hes happening. One of my biggest influences with funk music, I mean the guy can make anything he plays just feel great and yea really funky. Definetly an innovator whos still killen.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:31 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly
Hes happening. One of my biggest influences with funk music, I mean the guy can make anything he plays just feel great and yea really funky. Definetly an innovator whos still killen.
He's one drummer who is completely missing from my CD collection, and I've been meaning to correct this for years! Can somebody recommend a good place to start?
Old 09-06-2005, 08:45 AM

Back to Oakland, Soul with a capital S, Oakland Zone, Urban Reknewal, Soul Vaccination live. Any of these would be great except i wouldn't buy Oakland zone first because thats the newest one and I think it would probably be better to start off with something before.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:03 PM

Hmmm... His grooves are awesome at least in terms of how tricky a funk groove can be. But there's something in his time. I think he's always rushing a bit. Well, maybe rushing is too strong word but u know what I mean. Not laying back I guess.
Innovator in funk drumming anyway.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:17 PM
jamndrummer

Quote:
finnhiggins

Re: david garibaldi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's one drummer who is completely missing from my CD collection, and I've been meaning to correct this for years! Can somebody recommend a good place to start?
Check out "TOWER OF POWER" http://www.bumpcity.com david g. is the dude on the right dressed in all blue.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Thinshells

Dave has two VHS tapes out, and they look great. But they are damned expensive at $49 each.

Dave is to groove what Niel Peart is to technical power. He has 1001 ways to make you move your feet.

Ever seen TOP live? That horn section has such a wall of sound...man they rock!
Old 09-06-2005, 08:57 PM
jamndrummer

Quote:
by Thinshells
I have, they are amazing.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:14 AM

Dave is amazing, and my dad actually got to see him in the 70's when "What is Hip" came out. I'd say may Favourite Tower of Power records out of my four is the first one, "East Bay Grease". It's just too damn good.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:36 AM
Sticktrick

David Garibaldi is one of my all time favorite drummers. He just fits into this band perfectly. But there is one thing that I actually found problematic when I saw him live with ToP: His facial expressions made it seem like he was bored to hell at that gig. Iīm sure he wasnīt actually, but he looked that way. The thing about that was that me myself didnīt have a problem with that at all, but all my friends who were there too did. And none of them was a drummer... So they all agreed on the point that they did love the band, but thoght that their drummer sucked since he wasnīt a real part of the party on stage. That showed me how important it seems to be to be part of the show on stage and make everybody in the audience feel good only by your pure personality.

Of course I gave each of my friends who didnīt like his playing a big fat kick in their butt. Ignorants.... How can they claim that they dislike THE MASTER OF FUNK because he looks bored???? Didn`t they listen? After all he just played great!

I love his playing a lot and always will!
Old 09-08-2005, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticktrick
But there is one thing that I actually found problematic when I saw him live with ToP: His facial expressions made it seem like he was bored to hell at that gig. Iīm sure he wasnīt actually, but he looked that way. The thing about that was that me myself didnīt have a problem with that at all, but all my friends who were there too did. And none of them was a drummer... So they all agreed on the point that they did love the band, but thoght that their drummer sucked since he wasnīt a real part of the party on stage. That showed me how important it seems to be to be part of the show on stage and make everybody in the audience feel good only by your pure personality.

Of course I gave each of my friends who didnīt like his playing a big fat kick in their butt. Ignorants.... How can they claim that they dislike THE MASTER OF FUNK because he looks bored???? Didn`t they listen? After all he just played great!

I love his playing a lot and always will!
I totally agree with all this. He does look apathetic when playing his awesome stuff.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:48 PM
mlehnertz

For a while there, after the depature of Lee Thornburg and then Greg Adams, the horn section was awful. The signature tightness of the section was gone because the trumpets just didn't have the precise chops required to pull those tunes off.

I've heard (missed a recent concert) that the horns were much improved. I'm looking forward to catching them when they return in March of 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinshells
Old 09-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Sticktrick

If you want to listen to a real supertight horn Section, you might also want to check out the Al McKay All stars. It is the follow up band of Earth Wind and Fire and they are amazing. Great tunes, great party, great horns and great drummer Mike Shapiro.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:37 AM

One of my many teachers studied with Dave Garibaldi and had many incredible stories about Dave. One story he told was about Dave's incredible independance. One story is this: Dave had been studying ( please excuse the spelling) African Nanyega's (spelled like it sounds). He demonstrated on a drum kit with each limb playing a different rhythm and after a few phrases in a clock-wise fashion he switched the rhythms, what rhythm he was playing with his right hand he was now playing with his right foot, what he was playing with his right foot he was now playing with his left foot and so on. It was amazing how different the whole kit sounded playing all the same rhythms just on different parts of the kit....but what was more incredible was... Dave was talking normal thru the whole demonstration. I can hardly play a beat and talk and when I do it is always in rhythm. After he went clock-wise all around, he came back counter clock-wise. Frickn awesome!!!!
Till next time....stevon
Old 09-09-2005, 05:03 AM
bjeanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNut
I totally agree with all this. He does look apathetic when playing his awesome stuff.
I was fortunate enough to catch Tower of Power in 1973, 74, & 75 in both concert and club situations (a gig I had then in a strip/show joint was across the street from a large rock club they owned as well, & it was managed by a former very fine--and very nitpickey--guitarist who directed the bookings.) Thus, he was able to get up & coming or even established acts on their way to or from their major shows because of the club's "stateline" location. The payoff was in the publicity. That way, such acts as Elvin Bishop, Brian Auger, Cold Blood, Eddie Money, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Gino Vanelli, etc. (and Tower of Power) made sometimes many appearances in the club as they crisscrossed the area. And lucky me, because of my work schedule (which sometimes entailed 30 minute breaks between shows to "empty & refill the house"), I got to shoot acroos the street & catch these artists in a much more intimate setting than a concert arena. And for free. And none were as breathtaking as Tower live when they were in their prime. Some say Dave Garibaldi looked "apathetic" in the midst of the TNT those guys laid down... maybe so, but then so did Bruce Conte & Steve Kupka & Francis Rocco Prestia. Anything but apathy came out of their respective instruments. And that's what counts.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Sticktrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0neyellowdrum
One of my many teachers studied with Dave Garibaldi and had many incredible stories about Dave. One story he told was about Dave's incredible independance. One story is this: Dave had been studying ( please excuse the spelling) African Nanyega's (spelled like it sounds). He demonstrated on a drum kit with each limb playing a different rhythm and after a few phrases in a clock-wise fashion he switched the rhythms, what rhythm he was playing with his right hand he was now playing with his right foot, what he was playing with his right foot he was now playing with his left foot and so on. It was amazing how different the whole kit sounded playing all the same rhythms just on different parts of the kit....but what was more incredible was... Dave was talking normal thru the whole demonstration. I can hardly play a beat and talk and when I do it is always in rhythm. After he went clock-wise all around, he came back counter clock-wise. Frickn awesome!!!!
Till next time....stevon

Man, I heard the exact same story about him. It must be insane. Also I cannot play and talk nor play and sing (not saying that I could sing, if I donīt play, lol). Yes, he is a bad bad cat. Check the "Talking Drums" Video or DVD. On these ones he is playing some of this crazy independance stuff and it grooves. Wow!
Funny, that he is actually totally unknown for this ability... Also he has some serious chops going on, but he just uses them in such a musical way, great player.

And one more word about his apathetic look: I think it doesnīt matter, but as you can see, many people realize it, so it seems to be kind of an issue. Especially people that are not into drums and donīt realize that he is playing incredibly hard things and playing these things incredibly good and groovy might be disturbed by that. But I totally agree on the point that all that matters is the sound. Otherwise you might wanna go to a Backstreet Boys Concert instead. Hey, that was a joke!!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:39 PM
jamndrummer

Quote:
by OneYellowDrum

I can hardly play a beat and talk and when I do it is always in rhythm
I had to log in just to laugh...................this one cracked me up....not to be critical or anything but it just hit me at the right time. Thanks for your honesty. Laughter is good for the heart.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:18 AM
bjeanes

"Funny, that he is actually totally unknown for this ability... "

I wouldn't go so far as to say that.......
Old 09-21-2005, 02:12 AM

Not to mention that DG is one of the nicest musicians around. He is in the audience before and after shows; talking to friends and strangers, signing autographs, etc. I've had the pleasure of seeing TOP three times and each gig they sounded better than the last. I also was able to meet DG at camp (http://www.kosamusic.com...check this camp out everyone, amazing) and we still remain in touch to this day. He puts a great amount of effort into education, and is well respected by the entire drumming community. He gets an A+ from me. As far as his expression when he plays, I definitely know what everyone is talking about but I don't mind; I can't play like him no matter what I look like behind the kit. Props to DG! And thanks to Craig Wikert for adding him to the forum! I've been waiting to see who knew of his playing and what you all thought!

Last edited by JustDrum; 09-21-2005 at 03:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:14 AM
Thinshells

According to the latest issue of MD, Dave's instructional videos will be out on DVD soon.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:28 PM

I met him at a clinic a couple of years ago. Due to some logistical problems he was late to the gig, and was going on very little sleep. His playing was still spectacular, and he was very gracious afterwards. Truly a consummate professional.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:22 PM

David is thee most underrated funk drummer in the business What he did with Tower of Power was really awesome
Old 03-01-2006, 03:48 AM

http://web.mac.com/jdg114/iWeb/...complete blog by DG as he tours with TOP...includes pics and some video clips for those interested...pretty fun

peace,
Ben
Old 03-01-2006, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juoni
Hmmm... His grooves are awesome at least in terms of how tricky a funk groove can be. But there's something in his time. I think he's always rushing a bit. Well, maybe rushing is too strong word but u know what I mean. Not laying back I guess.
Innovator in funk drumming anyway.
I've been studying his style for a couple of years now and I can agree with you in the sense that he does tend to play on top of the beat. He himself has said in interviews that all things being equal he tends to rush or push ahead. This is probably the case when listening to TOP. The style of their music is mostly based around a syncopated and agressive 16th note pulse. This rhythmic foundation can tend to make the time feel rushed from time to time. When a sub drummer filled in with TOP for a few weeks, he commented how Emilio Castillo (Band Leader) kept telling him to "push it." Obvioulsy DG understands his mindset. However, his pulse is much more relaxed on their ballads and mid-tempo straight ahead songs.

Funk drumming has many feels and interpretations.o itself. Listen to Al Jackson's playing with Al Green. He's so far behind the beat it sounds like yesteray! It's all about the song, band, singer, etc.

Having said all of that, I think DG is the MAN! He is a true original.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:51 PM
mlehnertz

Default David Garibaldi

I had the luxury of catching Tower of Power last night. The band is back to being what I used to see back in the early 1990s - tight, tight, tight. The show was about 90 minutes long (free show) and it was nearly all classic ToP. Only two tunes were written after David Garibaldi's depature from the band. All of the old classics.

Garibaldi was simply awesome. Just incredible time and taste. Just unbelievable. I can't get over how he and Rocco Prestia just ANCHOR that band. It's just solid.

All you youngsters that have your heads buried in Blink 182 and Tool should listen to one of the originals - and Garibaldi IS an original.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:39 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: David Garibaldi

An incredible groove master....absolute King of linear drumming.....

I can't understand why he never has updated his books and put out a DVD.....
Hudson really needs to give him a call.....
Old 05-10-2006, 10:17 AM

I'm Keeping it simple. Dave Garibaldi is the undisputed king of funk drumming and is all I could ever hope to be. Tower of Power is also the most amazing band around. While I idolize Dave, he is also very frustrating. I find it extremely hard to figure out what he's playing by listening or even watching because of all the ghost notes. i need to see everything transcribed and believe me...even then I'm still amazed. The man is a god.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:37 AM

This guy realy grooves....for me the top two on my groove list are Rick Latham and David Garibaldi, what they play is easy to digest for the ears (as opposed to Weckl which I love but so many fills and tricks....sometimes hard to capture) and yet complicated when you get into the details of the rythm
Old 10-02-2006, 07:24 PM

I think he is unbelievable. Has his own signature sound like all the greats. And just like all my favorite drummers, I am unable to keep my head still when he's playing, the groove is just so infectious. And the way he plays those ghost notes on the snare makes me just want to give up sometimes, such amazing feel.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:12 PM

Default David Garibaldi

He is easily my favorite drummer. I love his style. He is so clean, yet the stuff he plays is so technical. Also he is how old, and he plays a lot better than any of these new up and coming drummers. Also, have you watched videos of him playing, he looks so relaxed, and like he is acctually having fun.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

I have always loved his playing. Way back when I was a boy my first teacher told me to check him out. It was one of the better suggestions I ever received. Today I use his books quite often with my students. Especially the books written with Jesus Diaz and Michael Spiro.

I got to meet him once and he was really nice to talk to.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:29 AM

I don't post here much, but I think it's time to bump this thread for my favorite funk drummer ever!

Dave is one of my idols and I hope someday that I can meet him and ask him why he's so awesome! :D I recommend that everyone watch the tower of power video of "Knock Yourself Out" live at Montreux in the video section. It's amazing.

Be Funky.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:00 AM

I grew up listening to TOP. When I was young I refused to listen to anything that was popular with kids my age. My dad bought me a CD player, and a TOP CD when I was 11, which was the same Christmas that he passed away. I listened to this CD over and over (along with some Weird Al, too), and even though I'm as white as white can be, I feel like I have an internal groove going on when I listen to their music.

I missed a chance at seeing him at a clinic because I injured my hand at a drumline competition. What a wonderful thing the internet has become though - I can find tons and tons of video to digest any time I want.

Dave has been in my top 3 drummers since before I had a top 3. Really, he helped define a sound that has since influenced tons of different music in some way shape or form. I find his "apathy" confusing, but I think he's just in his own world when he's playing. He expresses himself with his music rather than his emotions. Kinda like an android, but with more mojo...

EDIT: I just re-watched the "Page One" clip on his DW page, and I recommend everyone check it out if you've never seen it. Never over-plays; all his hits match with either a horn hit or a bass hit, etc.

Last edited by tizzdizz; 03-12-2008 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:28 AM

He doesn't have extreme chops like Virgil Donati or Thomas Lang, but he's filled to the brim with funky groove, and I can really dig that.

Yo, Tizzdizz, drop us a link to the video!
Old 06-06-2008, 06:57 PM

I think David is a truly amazing drummer. Very inventive and tasteful. I've studied him more than any other drummer for my own playing. He has a way of playing something that sounds simple and perfect for the song, but when you start to analyze what he does its usually pretty challanging. I remember learning to play "Dont change horses..." which sounds like a pretty simple song on drums. I got the actual exectution of the limbs pretty early, but getting the dynamics took quite some time.

My impression is that he is an "analytical" kind of musician that relies heavily on putting together pieces "mathematically/sheet music" so to speak. But the result doesnt sound technical or flat, so he really has a good taste for what to play.

The one thing I dont like too much is his solos though. It seems like he needs the other muscians to give him a framework to work out of. The solos he plays is out of context and just a display of his phenomenal skills (like most drum solos are).

I dont like soloing either, even though I could (and sometime do) throw a decent solo. Honestly; I have never heard a drumsolo that impressed me. They are almost always just a display of technique with no context, no gut feeling. I guess I kind of dont fit among drummers, because I think that drums without other instruments is boring.

Re that David is pushing the song when he plays Ive never though of it. It just sounds so natural and that it couldnt be done any other way.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:14 AM

Here goes!

http://drummerworld.com/Videos/david...dipageone.html

I also love squib cakes.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Funky View Post
He doesn't have extreme chops like Virgil Donati or Thomas Lang, but he's filled to the brim with funky groove, and I can really dig that.

Yo, Tizzdizz, drop us a link to the video!
I don't get IT.....

Why does He have to be compared to Virgil/Lang....
Not EVERYBODY wants to hear that kinda wankery.....
Old 06-11-2008, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearDrummer View Post
I don't get IT.....

Why does He have to be compared to Virgil/Lang....
Not EVERYBODY wants to hear that kinda wankery.....
It seems that in the opinion of Dr. Funky all drummers are to be compared to those two, and then fail... in his opinion.

Oh well ...
Old 11-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Silver Member

Check this gem out:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Us7yp6RqBaM

And also Soul Vaccination:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=AGiJcvttbeM

There's actually a book that teaches you the groove from Soul Vaccination. I had a go at it once, and I couldn't even get the first fill down. Once you get past that the main groove is pretty cool. It repeats, so if you can get that one bar phrase down you're half way there.

Has anybody gone through any of his books? I've got Future Sounds, worked into it a little bit and then changed teacher... I'm highly considering going back through it.

I'll also leave you with a very Garibaldi-ish (in my opinion) fill.

It goes like this:

RLLR LLRL

But if you accent the R hand and ghost the lefts, you end up with something like this:

RLLR LLRL

Then orchestrate it across the kit, the 3 R's going down the toms, and the L ghosting as quiet as possible on the snare. It sounds pretty cool.

I love how David can accent any note of his groove. Whatever the horns play, he can match it, without even changing his groove. His hands are ridiculous.