DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 06-05-2008, 12:05 PM

Default Turning to Electronic Drums?

The situation I have is that I need to practise. I have the time to put into it but currently not the facilities I want.

I have a practise pad in which I can do all of my snare exercises on which is great for that. I recently tried using my kit with silencer pads on it although I'm still finding this to still be to loud.

Another option I've thought of exploring is looking at some VDrums. It seems quite an attractive option. I've only been looking at a TD-3KW. Do you think investing in a VDrums kit is going to be able to satisfy the practising needs? Is anyone in a (or has been) a similar situation?

Old 06-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Turning to Electronic Drums?

Millions have walked the path you walk, and found the e-kit to be a quiet-ter solution to noise volume/practice problems.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:28 PM

The TD3 would be a good option for practice. You have a metronome, different drum sounds, and the mesh snare which are pretty quiet. Maybe worth thinking about a mesh bass pad too if you want it even more silent. Do it!
Old 06-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, I got a Roland ekit a while ago, its great for practise, I get up early in the mornings and practise and no one hears me (cept for family, but it doesnt really annoy them).
Old 06-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member

It's OK for developing coordination and time, but if you never remind yourself of what the real acoustic kit sounds and feels like, extensive e-kit training will be detrimental to your dynamics and touch.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
It's OK for developing coordination and time, but if you never remind yourself of what the real acoustic kit sounds and feels like, extensive e-kit training will be detrimental to your dynamics and touch
Yeah pretty much what he said! Just remember they are seperate entities and you'll be ok. Co-ordination on the leccy kit and finess on the acoustic when you get the chance
Old 06-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

I traded my Mapex for a td3 last year for similar reasons to your self, been jamming on a 'real' kit for the last few weeks and have found that my playing has suffered; cant really explain how or why.
As everyone has said, they are a great tool for practice and recording [plug em straight into the puter!], but dont neglect the acoustic work!!
Old 06-06-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cable View Post
I traded my Mapex for a td3 last year for similar reasons to your self, been jamming on a 'real' kit for the last few weeks and have found that my playing has suffered; cant really explain how or why.
As everyone has said, they are a great tool for practice and recording [plug em straight into the puter!], but dont neglect the acoustic work!!
Exactly. Practice is the most beneficial when you practice on the equipment you intend to use regularly. If volume is the issue, get some 7a's and/or some brushes and learn to play the kit quietly. You'd be surprised how many doors open up to the drummers that have skills at playing their kits at lower volumes.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
It's OK for developing coordination and time, but if you never remind yourself of what the real acoustic kit sounds and feels like, extensive e-kit training will be detrimental to your dynamics and touch.
It is true, which is why I would never buy an electric kit without at least owning an acoustic. Going more then a month or so on an e-kit can really mess you up.
Have you actually tried any of Roland's models? If you can get to a music store and sit on either the TD12 or TD20 for a good half hour, you'll start saving up as soon as possible.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzair View Post
The situation I have is that I need to practise. I have the time to put into it but currently not the facilities I want.

I have a practise pad in which I can do all of my snare exercises on which is great for that. I recently tried using my kit with silencer pads on it although I'm still finding this to still be to loud.

Another option I've thought of exploring is looking at some VDrums. It seems quite an attractive option. I've only been looking at a TD-3KW. Do you think investing in a VDrums kit is going to be able to satisfy the practising needs? Is anyone in a (or has been) a similar situation?

I don't know what kind of budget you are on but I would seriously consider looking at a TD9 over a TD3.....there is so much more bang for the buck.....matter of fact the TD9 is comparidable to the TD12 but almost $1500 less....

The probelm in my area is there was more demand than supply and now I have to wait for the next shipments cause they are sold out most everywhere.....

And yes as people have mentioned you need to stay acquainted with an acoustic kit at least once a month for generating sounds and dynamics.....
Old 06-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

The V drums are a great tool for practice. The metronome alone is worth it. Turn it on and play away, it will help tighten you up.

And it is NOT electronic vs. acoustic. they are different instruments. Just like electronic guitar is to acoustic guitar. They take a little different technique that all.

I play both electronic and acoustic all the time and have been for 6 or more years. I have never had any issues. I do notice after a long stint on the v drums how vibrant and live the real thing sounds and feels but that is it. If v drums are the only way you can practice then I say do it. It is NOT going to hurt your playing it is going to make it better. There mat be a very short amount of time and I am talking minutes to re adapt to acoustic drums.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 06-07-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
The V drums are a great tool for practice. The metronome alone is worth it. Turn it on and play away, it will help tighten you up.

And it is NOT electronic vs. acoustic. they are different instruments. Just like electronic guitar is to acoustic guitar. They take a little different technique that all.

I play both electronic and acoustic all the time and have been for 6 or more years. I have never had any issues. I do notice after a long stint on the v drums how vibrant and live the real thing sounds and feels but that is it. If v drums are the only way you can practice then I say do it. It is NOT going to hurt your playing it is going to make it better. There mat be a very short amount of time and I am talking minutes to re adapt to acoustic drums.
I'm in agreement with ya. I have acoustic kits but can't practice 'em at home - not even with 7A - it's just not realistic, they also take up much more room. So ... I got a TD-3 kit a while back, it has seriously improved my acoustic drumming, because I can actually practice, and because of the metronome and plug-in-play-along-silently feature. I really would not use the extra features of the higher-end models, though I surely wouldn't mind having 'em.

Of course practing on my acoustic drums would be "better", but when the choice is between no practice and the ekit - the ekit wins hand down.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
The metronome alone is worth it.
Haha, you'd pay all that money for a talking metronome? :P
Old 06-09-2008, 02:02 PM

The result is? I'm a happy owner of a TD-3 and love it (not as much as the acoustic), but it has straight away made practising at home 100% more accessable.