DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 05-23-2008, 02:41 AM

Default Eliminators VS. Iron Cobras

iv had DW 7000's for a few years, but i find them heavy and bulky. i recently used some eliminators and they felt great. they were smooth and light and i liked them a lot. but people tell me they fall apart easily and dont last very long,

which are better? eliminators or iron cobras?
Old 05-23-2008, 03:09 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Eliminators VS. Iron Cobras

I know that you're new to to the forum, but if you search anything to do with a double bass vs another double bass, you will find at least a hundred threads on the topic.

In almost every single one of them, someone will say "go try them and decide which one you like best"

Between the IC's and the Pearls, it's very close, no way to say which is better until you get your feet on them. A search would work better than by opinion though.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:20 AM

i hate when people say "go search it" because i DID search it, and didnt get the feedback i was looking for.

i was at long and mcquade playing both today, and couldnt decide, but the IC's are $45 more than the pearl's, and i liked them both equally, so if the 'falling apart' runour is just that, a rumour, im going to go with the cheaper ones.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:30 AM

my first pedal was a an iron cobra single and that thing is pretty solid.

i recently purchased a used pearl eliminator and so far its holding up very well.
except for minor squeaking in the slave pedal.

id say try both.

for me i like the iron cobra for playing heel down and i feel the eliminators are feel more natural playing heel up.

im still looking for a good compromise.
maybe flying dragons
Old 05-23-2008, 02:17 PM

i spent an hour yesterday going between the pearl eliminator chain drive, and tama iron cobra chain drive, and i couldnt decide between them. i think i favoured the elim's more, and the adjustability is awesome. but was hesitant because iv heard they fall apart easily.
since the cobras are $45 more than the elims, id like to hear what people say about the durability.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Pioneer Member

I guess the question is "who" or "where" did you hear about the eliminators falling apart. There are tons of guys on here using them and I've never heard this before. Keep in mind if you are on a forum that favors one particular company over the other you are going to hear more negative comments about other companies.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klopee View Post
i spent an hour yesterday going between the pearl eliminator chain drive, and tama iron cobra chain drive, and i couldnt decide between them. i think i favoured the elim's more, and the adjustability is awesome. but was hesitant because iv heard they fall apart easily.
since the cobras are $45 more than the elims, id like to hear what people say about the durability.
I've owned an IC and currently have the Eliminators. I prefer the Eliminators for their fluidity and response. I found the IC to be sluggish. And yes, they do have durability issues. My friend's Eliminator started getting sloppy after 10 years of 3 hours per day playing.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:07 PM

some people on a local music scene message board 'ambush the night' had said they fall apart, and othgers say they dont, and the musicians friend reviews, some people said their pedals fall apart

looks like im going with the elims!, now i wish i hadnt told L&M to order me IC's, considering the elims were in stock and everything!
Old 05-23-2008, 09:21 PM

I've played daily on the Eliminators for a 1.5 years,with no problem's yet.
it's also a very smooth peddle
Old 05-24-2008, 04:39 PM

I have an Iron Cobra Rolling glide and they're not bad! I found it a bit hard and less responsive though but they're just fine with me. I haven't tried any eliminators but you could also check out some DW's. A friend of mine used it and said that it's better than Iron Cobras!
Old 05-25-2008, 02:40 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I found the IC to be sluggish. And yes, they do have durability issues. My friend's Eliminator started getting sloppy after 10 years of 3 hours per day playing.
Every pedal has its own flaws - Pearl included. My Iron Cobra put up with over 12 years of constant rehearsing, gigging and transportation. I also found it a lot LESS sluggish than the Eliminators.

People experiences are just that - INDIVIDUAL experiences. In reality, both pedals are well made.

For me, I found that the Eliminator changeable-cam was a bit of a gimmick - You pay for all the cams and end up sticking to one, while the others get thrown in your top drawyer and forgotten about... and Id rather pay for gear thats going to be used.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy View Post

For me, I found that the Eliminator changeable-cam was a bit of a gimmick - You pay for all the cams and end up sticking to one, while the others get thrown in your top drawyer and forgotten about... and Id rather pay for gear thats going to be used.
I think the changeable cam is an ingenious idea, not just a gimmick. Everyone's foot and playing style is different and each cam really does give the pedal a different feel. I highly doubt your paying that much more for the cams anyhow; the elims are priced to sell to begin with.

I have played on the Cobra's and they felt sluggish to me, but to be fair, I didn't really mess with any adjustments. I have owned my Elims for about two years and love them. I don't do alot of setup/breakdown with them, but I do use them daily and have yet to have any durability issues. I think you'll be happy with your choice!
[philippians 4:13]
Old 05-26-2008, 04:24 AM

thanks guys, looks like its th eliminators for me! now i gotta rush home from work tomorrrow to get to long and mcquade before they close at 6.

why the hell does a music store close at 6, 4 days a week??? its so in inconvienent
Old 05-27-2008, 08:50 AM

Go for the Axis pedal they are just a little more expensive jk lol. I have the eliminator and i like it but like i have just a little problem.It is the slave pedal i think it have a little problem on it is to adjust it corretly because you don't feel the pedal if you understand me. or maybe it's me and probably me but try pedal for a long time and test the adjustment and thse little things.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

why the hell does a music store close at 6, 4 days a week??? its so in inconvienent

How about the ones that close at 5:?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:45 AM

so i bought the elims, there WAY lighter than my dw's, but im still adjusting for response, i foind them a tad sluggish, so i gotta do some adjusting.

but iv only had 2 hours of quality time with them, as my driums arent in my home anymore
Old 05-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I think the changeable cam is an ingenious idea, not just a gimmick. Everyone's foot and playing style is different and each cam really does give the pedal a different feel.
If it was ingenious, theyd incorporate the feature into the pedal rather than subbing parts out of it.

Axis, Trick and a slew of others have inbuilt adjustments which can siginficantly change the feel and throw of their pedals - Some even at cheaper prices than the elims.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Pioneer Member

I dont own eliminators but i have used them a few times at my friend's house. They are very smooth and very nice. But personally i prefer the Iron cobras. They just feel more solid and a the overall feel i prefer.

Go try em both out on the same drum (the tightness of the head makes a difference) and decide for yourself.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:45 PM

I love my elims. They are very smooth and are the most adjustable pedal ever made. I've changed cams three times and now I'm happy with the white ones. Everything you can think of adjusts and offers a great feel. I have had them for about a year and a half. I have straps instead of chain because straps don't need maintenance and are surprisingly strong. As strong or stronger than a seat belt.