DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-31-2008, 05:27 PM

Default light weight stands

Does anyone know if there is a manufacturer that makes light weight cymbal, snare and hi-hat stands? I have a bad back as it is, and my drum cases carrying the stands seem to be getting heavier every time I lift them.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: light weight stands

Do you travel with your equipment? If you do, a table dolly will help you incredibly. I don't know much about light weight equip. but I do know there are plenty of transportation aides available for such a reason.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Rock N Roller cart http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rock-n-R...ource=4WWRWXGB is a wonderful tool. Last thing I load into my wagon, first thing I pull out. Why walk and carry when you can roll? I got rid of all my double braced hardware stands (that I usually gig with) and replaced them with Yamaha single braced 600/700 series stands.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

Old Premier stands if you can find them, they're great!
Old 06-04-2008, 06:32 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv 2nd line View Post
Does anyone know if there is a manufacturer that makes light weight cymbal, snare and hi-hat stands? I have a bad back as it is, and my drum cases carrying the stands seem to be getting heavier every time I lift them.

How about the DW flat base stands?

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 06-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

Depending on how many stands you have, a rack might help. Then again, wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to just get a second hardware bag, and take the stands in two trips? All things equal, a lighter stand is less stable, hence the bias towards medium to heavy hardware.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:08 PM

Yamaha single braced hardware is my favorite,at any cost.
tracer
Old 06-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

DW flat base stands (straight and boom) are really nice.

The DW FB stand easily handled my 24" AA Med ride without wobble, and I don't have it that low either.

After I got it, I decided to put the ride back on the kick, so I'm not using it (right now) but I can if I want to.

The flat base lets the stand get right up to the bass drum too, and the other legs don't get in the way.

I got some of the DW 7700 single braced stands, and they are really great.
It's priced right, the tubing is big enough to handle the job, and it's a light stand to carry.

I just got sick of hauling my double braced stuff too, even though it is awesome stuff.

I went with the DW 7000 series singles (over Gibraltar, Yamaha, Ludwig, etc...) because they have memory locks at each section, and their tubing is interchangeable with the add on stuff.
I have a tall hardware case, so I can just fold the legs and put the stand in whole, & I want locks to make sure nothing moves.

I like the DW cymbal space adjustment too.
My old DW stuff is just as good as when I bought it years ago, so I know these 7000's will last.

They handle the 20" crashes I use with NO problem at all too.
I can also use my cymbal/mini-hat contraption on the single braced stand too with no problem.

This stuff has cut my hardware weight at least in half, if not more.

I got the lighter 5000 two leg hat stand too, and that handles the 15" hats and hard playing with no wobble too.

I was using the Gibraltar Liquid Drive hat stand, and it's a really awesome hat stand, but the DW 500 two leg lighter stand with the hats on it is lighter than the Gibraltar stand by itself!

My next show isn't for a couple weeks, but I know that I'll be able to handle the hardware case without any trouble at all now.

I might even be open to play at that place with the stairs again....maybe.....haha!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:31 PM

Ludwig's classic single braced cymbal stands (the 600 series?) are pretty darn great...

-Ryan
Old 06-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

I've heard about the "stability" of double-braced stands time and time again, so that's what I used for years. Then, I decided to try out some single-braced stands, and I was convinced that they would work just as well.

I got rid of a lot of my double-braced DW hardware and picked up 2 yamaha 600 series stands. It's not the weight, but the size that they collapse down to that I like (I don't want to take apart my stands while I'm tearing down). I also use 2 gibraltar splash cymbal clamps to mount additional cymbals, including my 24" K light ride. I mount my tom from one stand and the two additional cymbals from the other (4 cymbals all together, besides the hi hats). All of my hardware (bass drum pedal, snare stand, 2 yamaha 600 stands, 2 splash cymbal clamps, tom mount clamp, and floor tom legs) fits in an old 60's suitcase, minus my hi hat stand and throne. It works for me!

So, my vote goes for Yamaha 600 series stands and gibraltar cymbal clamps to reduce both weight AND bulk.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 06-04-2008, 11:34 PM

I use a mixture of Yamaha 600 & 700 series, You can really tell the different in terms of tube thickness aka weight but only limited difference in stability even with a 24" ride. Highly recommend both.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Gold Member

This thread has proven to be usefull.

I remember thinking "man, these guys are wimps" due to the complaining about heavy drums and stands.

I never used to take my equipment out, so I guess that I had not yet walked in your shoes.

I will no longer judge people unless I have walked in their shoes.

Anyway, now that I am taking my kit and hardware out once a week, I have come to the realization that 18 kicks and lightweight stands might be the way to go!

I got a lot of useful information from this post. Most of it coming from our favorite DW rep, Karl Krafton.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

Heavy cymbal stands do have a place. I've done side by side comparrassions with studio recordings between heavy and light weight cymbal stands. Myself and the engineer both agreed the same cymbals sounded noticably better on heavier stands.

Anyway, now that I am taking my kit and hardware out once a week, I have come to the realization that 18 kicks and lightweight stands might be the way to go!

Unless the 18 kick isn't more than 16" deep, you'll probably find the pluses don't outweigh the minuses. 18" kick seems more portable, but it really is 'depth' as opposed to height (dia) when the portability-factor becomes more of a reality.

A 22x16 kick is as portble as an 18x18 (even moreso is certain situations). Start increasing length and you're digging a hole as far as being easy to move around and fit into places. 18" kick can sound good, but (IMO) cannot dublicate the sound and feel of a bigger drum. I truely believe 22' kicks have the most comfortable 'feel' throughout the whole lose-tight tuning range. 20' OK, but the feel really steps-up to luxury-class with a 22".

Side by side any 18" and a 22" kick, differences will be obvious and probably why the 22' is the most popular size. A portable, great sounding kick is a 14X22" The bigger the drum head, the deeper the fundamental note, you just can't take that away from larger kicks and smaller kicks are stuck with a small fundamental.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Heavy cymbal stands do have a place. I've done side by side comparrassions with studio recordings between heavy and light weight cymbal stands. Myself and the engineer both agreed the same cymbals sounded noticably better on heavier stands.

Meh.

Heavier stands being better is a load of crap. Always has to be aircraft grade aluminum, eh?(!)

Personally, I only play on concrete and bring the proper equipment to bolt my stuff to the floor. (tongue firmly in cheek)

Sighing as usual.

-Ryan
Old 06-07-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
This thread has proven to be usefull.

I remember thinking "man, these guys are wimps" due to the complaining about heavy drums and stands.

I never used to take my equipment out, so I guess that I had not yet walked in your shoes.

I will no longer judge people unless I have walked in their shoes.

I got a lot of useful information from this post. Most of it coming from our favorite DW rep, Karl Krafton.

Life is better once you ditch the heavy stuff. Plus, Karl is our Ludwig rep. :-)

Ryan

(a hot girlfriend/almost wife, 2 perfect dogs, 5 mostly perfect cats, and a bunch of pretty good fish)
Old 06-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Unless the 18 kick isn't more than 16" deep, you'll probably find the pluses don't outweigh the minuses. 18" kick seems more portable, but it really is 'depth' as opposed to height (dia) when the portability-factor becomes more of a reality.
...except when loading into and out of a '91 Honda Civic: then the 22" size becomes a problem...

18" vs. 22" would be a great thread, but we could get into it here, too. I don't think that one is better than the other. They both have their positives and negatives, and both are more ideal for specific musical circumstances. I, personally, like to switch it up a bit, and am fortunate enough to be able to.

18"s can never be as deep and boomy as 22"s, correct. But, likewise, 22"s can never be as focused and tonal as 18"s. I think it's cool that all kicks from 16" to 26" are hip right now. It's a good thing that we have options when choosing "our" sound.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoguy View Post
(a hot girlfriend/almost wife, 2 perfect dogs, 5 mostly perfect cats, and a bunch of pretty good fish)
nice

Old 06-07-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv 2nd line View Post
So, you've gotten great feedback on the stands (I will add to the DW 6000 accolades -- they're great, they're light, and they're sturdy). I wanted to also second the recommendation on the rock & roller cart -- it's seriously one of the best investments you can make. It makes moving a kit SO easy. It's absolutely great. And it's useful outside of moving drums around. But your back will thank you.