DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-30-2008, 07:28 PM

Default Heads for Mapex Pro M

I just picked up a Mapex Pro M kit, and I'm having trouble trying to get a good sound out of it. I'm hoping it may just be the skins. I love the bass drum and snare sound, but the toms I'm having a lot of trouble with. I have a 12x9 rack, and 14x14 and 16x16 floor toms. The skins I have are a combination of remo resonant and evan batter because the store i went to had a very limited selection.
Anyway, I have remo diplomats on the resonant side, and evans g2s for the batter. The problem is that the rack tom sounds completely dead and muddy, while the floor toms sound ridiculously resonant, very similar to timpani drums.
I use evans g2's on my Premier Artist birch set and they sound fine, so I figured I would try the same with this new maple kit, but I'm definately not getting the sound I hoped for.
Any opinions on what I should try for both resonant and batter sides would be appreciated. I'm looking for a warmer, less muddy sound, with some resonance because I play with a full band a lot, but definately not an overkill like I have right now with these timpani-like floor toms.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Heads for Mapex Pro M

The best resonant heads I've had on my Pro M are Evans G1s. Right now I have G1 Clear on the bottom with Ec2 Clear on the top. I thought I would try these as they are so popular. They are resonant but have that sort of thick 2ply sound with a hint of control (unlike g2s). I'm just not a fan of that thick sort of flat tone that 2ply heads give though I guess. In the future I will just use G1 Coated all around. On my Gretsch Catalina I have g2 coated/g1 coated and I prefer the easier to tune and manage G1s. Actually, the g1s are warmer sounding than the g2s. The G1 Coated heads are significantly warmer than the clear versions as well but don't choke the resonance. I put one on my snare and it's the best head I've ever had on a snare to date. (better than Genera, Fiberskyn, Ambassador, Aquarian Texture Coated, g2 coated) I think G1 Coated on top and bottom is enough to get a warm, round, tone out of the drums while still allowing for sensitivity and a live sound. As for the bass drum, I'm still searching but I think EQ1 Coated Bass Reso heads are the way to go for the front. As for the batter side, I like the EMAD2 (hated the EMAD though) but it is a clear head 2ply and therefore still has a hint of that thick plastic sound. The sustain is great though. My Gretsch 26" bass has a EQ1 coated batter and it's enough to control that so I'm sure it would work great on my Mapex as well.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:03 PM

yeah, i was thinking of trying the EC2's but i'm worried they're gonna take away a lot of the tone from the toms, which makes me feel like i'm playing with 3 bass drums. I figure i'll definately probably go with the genera 1 clear resonant simply cuase they seem the most reliable and I have used them for years. Is coated really that big of a difference? Maybe that will take some of the overtone out, which i figure is the reason my floor toms sound like timpanis. It just doesn't make sense to me that G1's are gonna be warmer than the G2's i have on them right now. I always figured, less ply, more brightness and resonance.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:22 AM

well i would never use EC2's for reso side. Like I said i have g2 clears on top right now, are the coated really gonna make that big a difference?
Old 06-01-2008, 02:31 AM

now, when you say G1's, do you mean the Genera Resonant heads, or actualy G1 single ply skins. Is one any better than the other or are they relatively the same?
Old 06-01-2008, 06:37 PM

The actual G1 single ply skin. I've never used the Genera Reso head, but this could probably help you out...

http://evansdrumheads.com/EVAProductsDS.aspx?ID=13
Old 06-02-2008, 03:04 AM
Pioneer Member

At least with Evans heads the coating makes a large difference. The G1 Coated heads have a much warmer and a bit more controlled sound than the clears. The Genera Resonant heads are a 10mil head BUT they are made somehow to deliver a very bright sound. I had some and they were terrible, made the drums sound thin. The g1 clears are much better. The coating also takes away the plastic sound of the attack which is wonderful for softer playing. They do have the new EC Reso heads though but I'm just not a believer in dampening drums anymore. They are much more versatile without any. A EC2 Coated/ EC Reso would give that floor tom a solid thump sound similar to a rock bass drum but doing this would make your toms essentially dead. The G2s are a brighter head than the G1s...not sure why but even Evans says they are. They do have a lot more ring than the G1s. That explains your overtone issues. I've never been able to get a great sound from g2 coated (never used the clear) but G1s tune easy. I would say just use G1 Coated heads or experiment with EC1s (those are supposedly nice)
Old 06-03-2008, 12:23 AM

i appreciate all the responses
i'm gonna definately invest in the g1 clears for bottoms and see how that sounds with the g2 clears i got, if i'm still not liking that, i'll try a couple of variations, most likely the g1 coated. from what you all have been saying,t hat may be the sound i'm looking for.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:25 AM
Silver Member

my Pro M kit sounds great with coated single ply batter heads and clear single ply reso heads. that combo helps those shells sing pretty nice.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals