DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 06-06-2008, 08:45 PM

Default Newly refinished vintage frankenstein set.

I didn't want to post pictures of this set before it was finished, but then again, is a drumset ever really finished? I wanted to do something that I've never seen done before to a set, so I decided to use the same technique my father used on an dresser than he wanted to antique. It's called "Crackle" finish and it lives up it's name.

The set is composed of
20 x 14 Slingerland 1960's bass drum, I took off all of the old hardware (Rail-mount, cymbal stand) sold it and refilled the large holes with duraglass and bondo to basically make it a virgin bass drum. Has Remo coated ambassador on the batter and coated diplomat on the reso. with no muffling at all. It sounds a lot less ringy than I expected, I couldn't believe I could get such a vintage-type controlled sound without muffled heads or extra muffling.
15 x 12 Leedy and Ludwig marching snare used as a floor tom. A marching snare is a floor tom when you take off the strainer and butt plate, I have had this thing forever and finally wanted to do something with it. It has Aquarian Modern vintage on the batter and reso side, very vintage sounding, I love it.
13 x 3 Pacific steel snare, not much to be said, I need to get a better snare but and debating between what size to get and what material it should be made out of. I'll probably get one soon because I am sick of this one. It has Evans HD Dry on the batter and just the standard Evans snare side head on the snare side.
And I know I need a rack tom, I'm working on it. I'd like to get something that matches the floor tom, but those are really rare so I'm probably going to go with a Slingerland that matches the bass and refinish it in the same way.

The cymbal are:
18" Meinl Generation X Kinetic Crash. I know, I need to get more cymbals, but this cymbal is out of this world! It works so well as a crash and as a ride in any musical situation. Yes, I do use it for jazz as the sound ranges changes tremendously depending on where it is played. The outer edge really gives a nice jazz sound where the inner part gives a nice almost bell-like ping. It know it is hard to believe but definitely check this cymbal out if you ever get the chance to play it. It completely took me by surprise.
12" Saluda Diamond Hi-hats. I wanted a pair of 12" hats that weren't too thin sounding, but still were a bit trashy. There's nothing on the market like that so I contacted Jamie and he delivered. I love these hats and they are perfect for jazz but hold their own in heavier styles due to their extra weight.
I know a I need more cymbals, I do have other ones but am in between stand. The Meinl is the ultimate "Hybrid cymbal" so it's interesting to play alone.

I would love to have sound files but have no way of recording that would do it justice. I keep making videos of myself playing but they are not very good quality, I'm not a great soloer, and I do have the patience/programs to add audio tracks to the videos where I'm playing along to songs. I'll probably figure it out someday. Comments/suggestions/questions are appreciated.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Newly refinished vintage frankenstein set.

Pics arn't working 20202020
Old 06-06-2008, 11:29 PM

That's odd, the pics I posted only work in Mozilla Firefox, I'll post them with a different host.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Gold Member

Well, I can see where the "Crackle" comes from...
It's totally not my cup of tea, but it's great you did it yourself and that there is so much creativity in it. Was it hard to make such a finish?
Old 06-06-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
Well, I can see where the "Crackle" comes from...
It's totally not my cup of tea, but it's great you did it yourself and that there is so much creativity in it. Was it hard to make such a finish?
No, you just have to make sure to follow the instructions. I had to unwrap the bass drum, which isn't very hard to do. The tom had good paint so I just painted over it. You just have to put down a good base coat and let it dry completely. Then you put a light coat of crackle down without working it much. Wait 1-4 hours and then put down as thin of a coat as possible of the top coat without working it much at all. Within minutes you can watch the crackle do its magic.