DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 06-05-2008, 09:00 PM

Default Refinish/Refurb Drum Set

I realized that after I started I should have taken some pictures of the before, during, and after... but I had misplaced my camera... anyway here's the after...

My last set was some Tama Rockstars that barely survived a car wreck. I got these shells in trade for a QSC RMX 850 Poweramp I had.

Before: Well there's no picture, but basically when I got them all the tension rods and hoops were removed. The drums had lugs but only on one side.... there was also only rings for one side of all the toms. I got two wood bass drum hoops... only problem is there were only claws enough for one side, one of the hoops I got was cracked and the other was warped way beyond saving. The drums were all wrapped with a cheap black plastic wrap, and the wrap on the 12" Tom was warped and not set well. The snare drum and the bass drum are Mapex V-Series... the 16", 13", and 12" Toms didn't have anything on them.

The Bass, 13", and 16" are all basswood... the 12" looks like luan. The 13" and 16" toms are both 5 Lug... I assume they come from the same set. The 12" is 6 lug. All of them had a really bad black plastic wrap that was only affixed by tape at the seam. The wrap came off extremly easy without any hassle.

During: Well basically I was missing half the amount of lugs I needed, the lugs on the toms were all Pearl styled so I ordered matching lugs from some sources. The hard part was finding 5 lug hoops for the 13" and 16" but I found a store that had them. The guy gave me a 13" starcast mount... and I had a 12" starcast mount from my old set... so I ended up deciding to go with starcast mounts for the drums. I ended up using the hoops from my Tama instead of ordering new claws and wood hoops in order to save some money... I'll prob end up getting wood hoops eventually.

The drums are stained with Minwax custom colored Waterbased stain. The wood wasn't too bad after I removed the wrap... but they weren't 100% matching in color so I decided to go with a dark stain instead of going with a lighter stain or a color (They have blues, greens and reds available in the custom water based stain mixes). After I stained the drums, I finished the drums with Minwax Polycrylic. The wood on these drums absorbed the stain and finish like crazy. I ended up putting two coats of stain, and emptied two cans of spray gloss Polycrylic... they still look fairly satin and look like there's no finish on there.

After: I think they turned out pretty well, especially for a first try... the 13" tom is in the picture barely you can see the mount in the lower left corner.

Edit: In case anyone asks... yes the snare still has the nasty black wrap on there.. I didn't take it off mainly becuase some of the hardware was so rusted on there I didn't feel like messing with it... that and the snare will prob eventually be replaced.

The heads right now on the toms are Remo Emp Batters and Attack Resos, the bass has Evans EQ1/EQ3. The cymbals are 14" UFiP Bravo Hi-Hats, 21" Sabian AA Dry Ride, and 16" Paiste Prototype Alpha Thin Crash.

Last edited by BertTheDrummer; 06-05-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Refinish/Refurb Drum Set

Looks cool, Mr Bert from Wylie. Might you have visited my site on May 26th, around 8:57 pm. If so, good, that's what it's there for.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Pioneer Member

I Like it..............very nice.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 06-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

It's so nice to see something mean and dirty looking. Everyone goes with light stains or pretty colors. This kit looks like it means business, kind of like Trick's drums. I really like it, could we see some more pics if you have them? maybe a close up on the finish?

Old 06-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Administrator

I didn't see it before so I can only say it looks good at this point. I can tell one thing though. You could have spent a little more time sanding some of the scrape marks and scratches from removing tje wrap glue but all in all it looks good.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
You could have spent a little more time sanding some of the scrape marks and scratches from removing tje wrap glue but all in all it looks good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
It's so nice to see something mean and dirty looking.
I was actually kind of going for a rustic look for it, trying to get a home made look.