DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Chris Adler

You can't compare Lamb of God to Slayer. Completely different bands.

The guitar parts on Lamb are more intricate and definitely harder to play. I have played guitar for about 20 years and we even did Angel of Death as a cover in the 80s.

The picking is much faster in Slayer, but it definitely takes more technique for Lamb.

I am not a huge Bittner fan, although I think he is a fine drummer. Chris on the other hand is totally unique. Like Lombardo was in the early to mid 80s and Vinnie Paul in the 90s. Each brought new "life" to metal. Chris does the same. He is an innovator that people will be talking about 10 years from now.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by II xMETALx II View Post
Firstly about your guitar comment, thats just plain and simply wrong. Either you have no idea about metal or you havnt listened to the band properly.

Secondly that comment (totally triggered and fake-sounding) is also just wrong. Where do you get this stuff? If you are referring to recording quality, LOGs early recordings arnt the best of quality, but ashes of the wake and sacrament are brilliant, both production and skill wise.

Check him ou on youtube:
Now youve got something to die for
Hourglass

Your opinion on his drum sound is fair enough, but i think you need to give the band some more listening to before you make comments like that.
See, the thing is, picking on Jeff isn't usually a good idea in this context. Disagree you may, but to tell him to do more listening isn't wise. You know what Jeff does, right?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
See, the thing is, picking on Jeff isn't usually a good idea in this context. Disagree you may, but to tell him to do more listening isn't wise. You know what Jeff does, right?
Lawl x 20 characterz

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 06-12-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I don't mean to be rude i just get frustrated at peoples ignorance. LOG's guitar work is amazing and innovative. For him to make that comment clearly shows that he hasn't listened to the band properly.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Yeah I do agree with metal dude on this on this one. Sorry Jeff.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:30 PM

i've been in metal music for a long time, listened and played a lot of groups, from trash do brutal death and grindcore and so on.. but this band got me, i'm their fan already for a half a year.. cant stop listening their songs :) very good guitars, perfectly matched drums, no any soloing or showing off, very good and very solid in overall.

\m/
Old 07-03-2007, 11:38 PM

chris adler is much more complex than joey jordison
joey is more simple. straight 8ths and such.
adler puts more thought into his playing than joey i think.
vater
Old 07-05-2007, 05:33 PM

Chris plays like no other metal drummer out there right now. How many other metal drummers actually ride on a splash cymbal, or find a groove like he does with double-bass? He certainly isn't the fastest, or technically advanced drummer in the world, but for not having much music theory knowledge or formal lessons, his playing in Lamb of God fits perfectly for what they do and they wouldn't be the same with ANY other drummer, period.

That's why he gets the well-deserved praise he gets so much now, for his creativity and uniqueness that makes him stand out from the hundreds of other metal drummers out there.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
I hate his drum sound. His snare sounds like a toy and his kicks are totally triggered and fake-sounding.

Lamb of God reminds me of the easy-guitar version of Slayer. Some of the guitar parts sound like a 14 year old wrote them. A band like Strapping Young Lad with Gene Hoglan on drums or Mastodon with Brann Dailor leaves them in the dust.

Frankly, I think that both he and Bittner are way overrated. The little kids who buy their records are the same ones that vote 40 times in the MD poll.

Well this really isnt fair. Watch them play, I am no guitar expert but I play a little and some of thier stuff is really difficult.

As for his kit, well he plays metal so isnt it ok for them to be triggered, and they are not actually triggered, I have seen the DVD that comes with Sacrament and I have watched, his snare is more a unique sound much like his playing.

Anyway this post seems arrogant but I am really not. Just standing up for the man.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
Frankly, I think that both he and Bittner are way overrated. The little kids who buy their records are the same ones that vote 40 times in the MD poll.
i can't agree with you're comment on bittner. Anyone who can make it into Berklee is by no means overrated. Bittner is an incredible drummer that has chops in almost every genre of music. Saying that he is the new Jordison is almost insulting.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:46 AM

Can someone tell me if he is now using DW9000 pedals?

I wouldn't have thought he would switch as he is endorsed by axis.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:48 AM

Adler is why i listen to Lamb of God, i think the drum tone on the last album is insane
Old 07-27-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBuster View Post
Can someone tell me if he is now using DW9000 pedals?

I wouldn't have thought he would switch as he is endorsed by axis.
apparently axis did something to upset him and he swapped. i once knew why he changed but ive forgotten now

Old 09-08-2007, 09:37 PM

I will say something about Chris, I think is drumming is very very good, and the guy is another perfect example of being "self-taught", no formal teacher, etc.

That is a perfect example of having passion for the insturnment and craft.

One thing he said back in the MD festival he had with Bittner was that "people forget that drums is all about having fun, and focus on other thngs"... HE IS ABSOLUTLY RIGHT.

I think everyone gets caught up in the hype of playing fast, stick tricks, this or that... It really comes down to playing from the heart and playing what the music calls for...

As a session drummer, I really find myself trying to play to the music rather than always find a way to put in a signature fill or something other than what needs to be played... But taking a step back really makes you focus on what the task at hand really is...

And Adler is a perfect example of that!
Old 04-02-2008, 03:59 AM

Does anyone know what snare model he uses.? i love its sound.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:32 AM

I couldn't care less what Jeff does, Dustman perhaps........if it's involvement in Music he'd earn more as a dustman......this guy hit it right on the head

Quote:
You can't compare Lamb of God to Slayer. Completely different bands.

The guitar parts on Lamb are more intricate and definitely harder to play. I have played guitar for about 20 years and we even did Angel of Death as a cover in the 80s.

The picking is much faster in Slayer, but it definitely takes more technique for Lamb.

I am not a huge Bittner fan, although I think he is a fine drummer. Chris on the other hand is totally unique. Like Lombardo was in the early to mid 80s and Vinnie Paul in the 90s. Each brought new "life" to metal. Chris does the same. He is an innovator that people will be talking about 10 years from now.
Chris Adler is one of the most refreshing Drummers I have heard since indeed first seeing and hearing Lombardo back in '86
Old 04-14-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
Bingo, they're the new Joey Jordison's.
I have to disgaree with that comment, it's simply an insult to both Bittner and Adler....for the following reasons..

Jason Bittner got into Berklee, you dont get in unless you are exceptional, as it's one of the best musical establishment in the world...not to mention that, having seen shadows fall live, his intensity and rthymic ability far outwieghs Joey Jordison.

Chris Adler is one of the most solid performers of the last decade or so, his creativity on the instrument is absolutely astounding, pay close attention to, if you have it on hand, purified from As The Palaces Burn, the drums are incredibly intricate, and playing such a complex piece at high tempo is a testament to his ability
Old 04-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namaan View Post
I have to disgaree with that comment, it's simply an insult to both Bittner and Adler....for the following reasons..

Jason Bittner got into Berklee, you dont get in unless you are exceptional, as it's one of the best musical establishment in the world...not to mention that, having seen shadows fall live, his intensity and rthymic ability far outwieghs Joey Jordison.

Chris Adler is one of the most solid performers of the last decade or so, his creativity on the instrument is absolutely astounding, pay close attention to, if you have it on hand, purified from As The Palaces Burn, the drums are incredibly intricate, and playing such a complex piece at high tempo is a testament to his ability
It's not really an insult, I really rate Adler and am an avid fan of LOG. What i meant is that because they both play in two of the biggest metal bands around, you're going to have swarms of kids singing their praises just because they idolise them. It's the same with Barker, terrific drummer but the fanbase is godawful.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:16 PM

ahh... i obviously mis-understood the comment, for that i apologise, i had got the impression that you were comparing jordison to bittner and adler in a playing sense and jordison is IMO far outclassed by Adler and Bittner..

no harm intended...

namaan
Old 05-05-2008, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Chris Adler here!

I don't know the model of the snare, but I understand is a discontinued model.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:58 AM

Chris Adler's 24" ride is the most awesome metal ride in existence. I can really dig how he uses that to rip your head off.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Gold Member

On the MD Festival DVD at least, he is using Aquarian clear Response II heads on his toms, with (IIRC) the Aquarian Hi-Energy snare head, and playing a Mapex Saturn Series kit. The colour is Emerald Stardust, but was discontinued late in 2007.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:18 AM
Platinum Member

Less than 5 min. on google and I found this "His kit includes two 22 x 18-inch matching bass drums. The tom set-up includes a 10 x 9, 12 x 6, and two floor toms a 16 x 16 and an 18 x16. Adler will play a 12 x 5.5 inch maple Black Panther snare. He will also use Janus Ergo Pedals and the new Janus ErgoHat." here: http://usa.mapexdrums.com/news/news_story.asp?ID=45
Old 05-06-2008, 04:42 AM

I went back to my October 2006 Modern Drummer copy just for you...

5.5 X 12 Bird's eye maple Black panther, as already mentionned.
Aquarian High energy on snare.

That's one snare sound I sure don't like myself - but to each his own.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:44 AM

I dont know how you guys are going to react to this but there is only 1 way to find out. I think its quite an intresting piece of info but everyone has opions so ill let you judge it. Here is the link to what I found. http://www.peta2.com/outthere/o-lamb...FQIyxwod9A8HCQ
Old 05-23-2008, 12:50 AM
Gold Member

Chris is a nice guy. Great drummer.

But, he needs to stick to playing drums.

I will eat two pieces of chicken and a slab of steak while listening to Redneck.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
It's not really an insult, I really rate Adler and am an avid fan of LOG. What i meant is that because they both play in two of the biggest metal bands around, you're going to have swarms of kids singing their praises just because they idolise them. It's the same with Barker, terrific drummer but the fanbase is godawful.
Exactly, look at mags like Metal Hammer or the UK Kerrang, Lars Ulrich wins best metal drummer every damn year, give me a break............I hate his style and I've been a fan since '86 Master of Puppets and it's got worse over the years..........he was good on Justice, possibly Black beyond yuk..........listen to him live, he'll never realise his job is at the back to drive the rhythm, his mouth and ego are similar to his style......over rated and sloppy!!

Listen to the mentioned Jordison and Lombardo stand in for Ulrich what in '06 at Donington........great show, showing how it once was played.......

For me Adler is way over Jordison, I was blown away by Jordison at first then I heard LOG and Adler and for the first time in many years my jaw dropped............I've had the pleasure of seeing Lamb in a very small venue and real up close to adler and man is he on the button everytime...........

He's the biggest breathe of fresh air to metal drumming to me in eons..........
Old 06-04-2008, 01:56 AM

i love lamb of god. probably one of my favorite bands (although i'm a total jazzer haha!).

i've been a fan since about april of 2006, and since then i've bought the discography (including their stuff from the Burn The Priest days) and i've only become more addicted over time. chris's drumming isn't necessarily some of the most insanely complicated drumming out there, but he certainly is one of metal drumming's leader's as far as musicality goes. i myself have become a much better drummer and musician by studying his work, and i've noticed that i think differently when i play the drums these days because practicing his right hand/left hand independence techniques and trying to imitate his music and playing style has opened my eyes to different hand patterns and foot techniques, along with giving me a more creative and unique approach to the drumset. chris adler is bloody flawless.

gosh, i'd love to see them live. i'm so stoked for their new dvd on july 1st! wahoo!!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatfish View Post
i love lamb of god. probably one of my favorite bands (although i'm a total jazzer haha!).

i've been a fan since about april of 2006, and since then i've bought the discography (including their stuff from the Burn The Priest days) and i've only become more addicted over time. chris's drumming isn't necessarily some of the most insanely complicated drumming out there, but he certainly is one of metal drumming's leader's as far as musicality goes. i myself have become a much better drummer and musician by studying his work, and i've noticed that i think differently when i play the drums these days because practicing his right hand/left hand independence techniques and trying to imitate his music and playing style has opened my eyes to different hand patterns and foot techniques, along with giving me a more creative and unique approach to the drumset. chris adler is bloody flawless.

gosh, i'd love to see them live. i'm so stoked for their new dvd on july 1st! wahoo!!
i agree, his sheer musicality and sense of 'groove' on the kit should serve as a lesson to drummer of all styles, i'm currently using the bass/snare patterns from remorse is for the dead to develop my bass drum ability, (recently gone over to double pedal) and it rocks

saw em at download 2007... you must see em live man they are awesome.. you will not be dissapointed....i give you my word
Old 06-06-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namaan View Post
saw em at download 2007... you must see em live man they are awesome.. you will not be dissapointed....i give you my word
dude, i wanna see them live so bad, i freakin love em. hence the screen name 'goatfish'. it's a burn the priest song. and therefore my favorite animal. :)
Old 06-06-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatfish View Post
dude, i wanna see them live so bad, i freakin love em. hence the screen name 'goatfish'. it's a burn the priest song. and therefore my favorite animal. :)
not so much a fan of the burn the priest stuff, but as the palaces burn and blood of the scribe are some awesome tracks.....

one day i'll be as good as Chris Adler (i wish)
Old 07-14-2008, 06:20 PM

Can someone tell me
Does chris use an orion or saturn series kit?
As its posted all over the net that he uses saturns, but in an interview he said 'i sat behind the orion and was blown away....etc etc'
So im not sure!

Last edited by mattieb298; 07-14-2008 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Irritating spelling mistake :)
Old 07-18-2008, 05:48 PM
ThisSpitefulSnake

Maybe he used an Orion and Saturn. I love Lamb of God and Chris Adler. I have every album. I can play quite a few songs too.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutin View Post
I like that they play alot in 6/8 because there isn't so much of that in metal.
Not as much as there should be. 6/8 can be one of the most intensely DRIVING meters, I think. I've been trying to get the guys I play with to catch onto 6/8 jams, but it still seems foreign to them.

Nothing can get a pit swirling like a fast, chunky 6/8 riff.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:01 PM

If I had the skill to execute everything that pops into my head when I'm sitting at my kit, (and I don't,) I have a feeling that I'd end up playing a lot like Adler does. I seem to really GET what he's doing, musically; it works, and I feel it.

Has anyone noticed that he has his snare up in front of him, tucked right under the toms? It doesn't sit between his knees at all.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:20 AM

Default Chris Adler fans!

Someone has ever so kindly posted some chris adler durm tracks on youtube. thought i might share them with you.
LOG~Redneck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSzLb...eature=related

LOG~beating on deaths door
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIr5b7t-esY&feature=user

LOG~descending
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5BK3...eature=related

LOG~pathetic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc_g9...eature=related

LOG~foot to the throat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTgjK...eature=related

LOG~blackened the cursed sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzcZZ...eature=related

there is a few more if you check out that users videos.

enjoy!

Joe.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Chris Adler fans!

Man, that's sweet. Chris definitely has the best sound out of all the metal guys at the minute.

Thanks man.

Btw, do you know where you can get this edition of the album?

T

Old 08-13-2008, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

That was pretty cool. but i prefer jason bittner. drum only stuff from him would be awesome.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutin View Post
Man, that's sweet. Chris definitely has the best sound out of all the metal guys at the minute.

Thanks man.

Btw, do you know where you can get this edition of the album?

T
sorry mang.,

ive been tyring to track it down for myself.
so far, unsuccesful.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Gold Member

thanks for the trax...awesome to watch!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prempex View Post
Someone has ever so kindly posted some chris adler durm tracks on youtube. thought i might share them with you.
LOG~Redneck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSzLb...eature=related

LOG~beating on deaths door
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIr5b7t-esY&feature=user

LOG~descending
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5BK3...eature=related

LOG~pathetic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc_g9...eature=related

LOG~foot to the throat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTgjK...eature=related

LOG~blackened the cursed sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzcZZ...eature=related

there is a few more if you check out that users videos.

enjoy!

Joe.