DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-16-2005, 01:05 AM

Default Abe Laboriel jr.

What are your thoughts on him? I think he's an awesome rock drummer He's more than a rock drummer also..... He's so fun to watch I mean just look at his face when he plays :) Everytime I see him play It's Great.... Just Great!

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers...boriel_jr.html

Last edited by DogBreath; 09-22-2005 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Edited to add link to DrummerWorld
Old 09-16-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Abe Laboriel jr.

I love the guy! Anyone with a resume like his is BOUND to be legit. He's rock solid, he's a super nice cat, and I LOVE the HUGE drums he plays! Great example of a modern session/touring drummer and a huge inspiration!
Old 09-16-2005, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NouveauCliche
I love the guy! Anyone with a resume like his is BOUND to be legit. He's rock solid, he's a super nice cat, and I LOVE the HUGE drums he plays! Great example of a modern session/touring drummer and a huge inspiration!
Yeah dude you look like him!
Old 09-16-2005, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymasta
Yeah dude you look like him!
Haha! I can see it! Now I just need to call up DW and get a 26" bass drum, a 13" or 14" rack tom and an 18" floor tom!
Old 09-16-2005, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NouveauCliche
Haha! I can see it! Now I just need to call up DW and get a 26" bass drum, a 13" or 14" rack tom and an 18" floor tom!
Yeah his drums are monstrous! everytime I listen to this guy play I some how play a lot better It's freakin' wierd!
Old 09-16-2005, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymasta
Yeah his drums are monstrous! everytime I listen to this guy play I some how play a lot better It's freakin' wierd!
I think it's because he really good, but he plays for the SONG, which is something a lot of the "drum legend" types don't really do. When I listen to Abe, it's a totally different kind of inspiration...He and guys like Steve Ferrone or Shawn Pelton make me want to GROOVE! He probably has the same effect on you!

Edit:

I just noticed that John Cusack was in the audience in that Paul McCartney clip...That's awesome.

Last edited by NouveauCliche; 09-16-2005 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:29 AM

I like the drummer..but I can't really see anyone else playin with Paul except for Ringo.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:33 AM
Pioneer Member

i first saw him live a long time ago when he was playing with Seal. the thing that stood out for me was that he came up with the most amazing drum parts, but they weren't complicated. seal's albums had static boring drum machine beats, and made something special out of them. some of the best drumming i've ever seen.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:41 AM

Is there a video clip? Is it of the 9/11 performance. I saw it a while ago - awesome. Cusack was there.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:09 AM
Pioneer Member

I haven't seen very much of him but I think he has a great style and can make things look so simple yet sound really good and powerful.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:47 AM

Location: Manama, Bahrain Lebanon but originally from Neuchatel, Switzerland.

To me Abe Laboriel Jr. is the only "young" drummer who continues the tradition of the studio greats like JR, Ferrone, Vinnie or Gadd today. He follows the same path. He's got prestige gigs like Sting or McCartney, does tons of sessions in the rock world and regularly plays on jazz records whilst playing live at the same time.

Great drummers like Aronoff, Pelton or Freese are much less active on the jazz scene for instance. Abe does it all.

If you have the chance to find a copy of his father's second solo album "Guidum" just get it. It features Justo Almario on sax and Greg Mathieson on keys. Amazing and brilliant contemporary jazz with a touch of funk. A must have. Abe Jr. grooves like crazy.

In a completely different style, check him out (together withCurt Bisquera) on John Sykes' "Loveland". Sykes was the guitar player for Tygers of Pan Tang, Whitesnake and Thin LIzzy. This album only contains ballads. Both Bisquera and Abe Jr. deliver tasteful performences.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:23 AM

I just love his playing if anyone can find any video's of him on a website or if you have video's just tell me thanks.....
Old 09-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Pioneer Member

If you buy the Paul McCartney "Back In The USA" DVD from a couple of years ago, it showcases Abe very nicely.
Phil
Old 09-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Pioneer Member

i wonder how many drumsticks he breaks.. :P
Old 09-21-2005, 03:22 AM

man abe jr. is one cool cat. i had the opportunity to meet him and talk to him briefly at a hollywood gig back in 2003. one of the most down to earth, amicable, coolest musician you'll ever meet. he was playing with the jazz ministry (landau, abe sr, gregg mathieson) and geez is this man in the pocket. awesome gut wrenching chops. the bass drum he was playing on couldnt be bigger than 20 X 10 but it sounded like thunder. thumbs up to abe jr.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:42 AM

He definately is one cool cat. Does anyone know what cymbals he uses though?
Old 09-22-2005, 03:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbals~FEAR~me
He definately is one cool cat. Does anyone know what cymbals he uses though?

He uses the Paiste New Signature Dark Energy cymbals... just amazing sounding. I love it when you see studio greats using the same cymbals and drums as you, especially Paiste; just the most amazing sounding cymbals to my ears.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:13 AM
Silver Member

I saw Abe play live twice with McCartney and I was blown away, not just by his drumming...he also was singing backups and harmonies. Man, his bass drum was HUGE, I couldn't believe it. If I was to sit behind his kit, I'd look like a midget!

I also liked Blair Cunningham, who toured with McCartney after her released the "Off the Ground" album...I saw him back in '91. Great drummer as well, and I believe he played with the Pretenders too.

I'm sort of bummed that Abe didn't play any drum tracks on McCartney's new album, but he did do some percussion.

birch
Old 09-22-2005, 06:02 AM
fourstringdrums

The first time my mother saw Abe on tv with Paul she said "Woah. He's a big boy" :)
Old 01-13-2006, 11:22 PM

Yeah, that dude is all kinds of style. What kind of heads is he using in this video?

www.drummerworld.com/Videos/abeandcurt.html

They are clear, but with the white dampening ring - they look like powerstroke4's, but those are for bass drums and don't come smaller than 18". I'd love to try them out on my big toms. Any ideas?

thanks
Old 01-13-2006, 11:46 PM

I just became aquainted with Abe Laboriel, Jr. earlier today.

Having just returned to drumming (after 20+ years as a bassist), I bought a Mapex Pro M series 'Rock' kit (24x16 bass, 14x8 snare, 14x10 rack tom, 16x16 and 18x16 floor toms) and was curious about drummers who play big toms. TitanSound fielded my question about the identity of the big drummer with the big drums in the rotating sequence of pics at the top of the forums... and that's how I discovered Abe, Jr.

After looking at his partial list of credits, it's likely that I have actually heard him quite a bit over the years. He appears to be quite in demand for every gig from bubble-gum pop (Ashley Simpson) to jazz and just about everything in between. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some Nashville types have sought his services, as well.

I will definitely be seeking out more audio and video of Abe Laboriel, Jr.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:11 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by parser
They are clear, but with the white dampening ring - they look like powerstroke4's, but those are for bass drums and don't come smaller than 18". I'd love to try them out on my big toms. Any ideas?

thanks
Those are just the stock clear/coated heads that come standard on DW's.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums
Those are just the stock clear/coated heads that come standard on DW's.
Oh yeah, that's where I've seen them before. Thanks for the info, I'll check into some stuff.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:07 AM
Pioneer Member

I belive on DW's Website it says his bass drum is 28x20! Abe is a beast!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 01:15 AM

Default Abe Laborial Jr.

Anyone as impressed with this dude as I am? I think he's got unparralleled (how the hell do you spell that) feel, and his drums just sound awesome all the time. Very creative with subtle hihat licks. Check him out on Vanessa Carlton's 'Ne not nobody'. On here, he makes some very good tunes absolutely great, and the mediocre ones at least worth listening to.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:21 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Abe Laborial Jr.

That's him on that song??? I've always noticed the drums in it, I guess I know why now! hehe. He's one of my favorite drummers. Just amazing.

If you want some great drumming of his, check out the song Cantneverdidnothin by Nikka Costa, on the album of the same name. mmmmm so good!
Old 03-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Gold Member

He is awesome. Saw him with Paul McCartney(sp?) at live 8.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:24 PM

Abe rocks so hard. I saw him play with his dad one time. Then you know where he gets it. His dad is bass player if u don't know. Holy crap was I blown away by that show. The Nikka Costa stuff is real nice too. I saw her show, but it wasn't Abe. I forget the guys name who it was, it was a weird name, but this guy played a mad tabla at the end of the show. WOW!

Abe rocks
Old 03-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Pioneer Member

Yeah well Nikka Costa cant really have five drummers all tour with her ... on her last album she had Laboriel, Lenny Kravitz, Questlove, and John Blackman all on different tracks. I've seen videos of the guy you're talking about (with the beard right?) and he does a fantastic job, of course.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:34 PM

I think he's the best rock-drummer alive. That guy knows how to groove. If I want to buy a cd with some sweet laboriel drumming, which one shall it be? I want it groovey.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:10 PM

Yeah, he has some serious groove. I've tried several times to play the beat he plays here

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/abeandcurt.html

but even when I get it right it sounds nowhere near as good, his feel is just so much better. And that drum sound is ridiculous. I own a 26" bass and his definitely looks bigger to me. I think it's 28" as someone else posted above.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parser
Yeah, that dude is all kinds of style. What kind of heads is he using in this video?

www.drummerworld.com/Videos/abeandcurt.html

thanks
Those would be DW heads dude.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Pioneer Member

http://web.rehearsals.com/lessons/

This is great, and a few good tips too. Such a nice, happy guy just like his dad!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Pioneer Member

First saw him with Macca on the Live 8 video. Thought wow! Who's the animal with the powerhouse groove who's driving the show without even knowing the songs! Y'see, you can watch him check tempos on his metronome in a couple of shots. Meaning that he's not intimately familiar with the material. But he nails it! And then he sings harmonies with Macca. And closes the whole Live 8 show with just him grooving while all the celebs do the endless Hey Jude thing. And then, as if that ain't enough, I check out the video of him singing a duet ( http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/a...ielmylene.html ), and that floors me too!

Top notch musician all the way.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:04 PM

I watched the Paul McCartney US Tour DVD with Abe drumming on some classic Beatles songs. He plays essentially the same parts as Ringo, but he still sounds so fresh and exciting. Plus he does sing harmonies with Paul, and on Eleanor Rigby, he gets up from behind the kit and sings the backups right next to Paul while dancing like a fool!

Abe really is an incredibly versatile guy. While I'm not very familiar with his work, I can say that if I had his talent, I'd be set :)
Old 04-23-2007, 02:08 PM

Location: Manama, Bahrain Lebanon but originally from Neuchatel, Switzerland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOlsson View Post
I think he's the best rock-drummer alive. That guy knows how to groove. If I want to buy a cd with some sweet laboriel drumming, which one shall it be? I want it groovey.
I definitively would suggest you to buy the Jazz Ministry (Mathieson/Laboriel Sr./Landau/Laboriel Jr.) recent double live album "Another Night At The Baked Potato". It's is pure brilliance and groove.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:24 AM

just watching this guy play with paul mccartney on tv at a concert in liverpool. i really like his playing. i really admire his patience, if that makes any sense . ..
Old 06-02-2008, 06:01 PM

I've only listened to him on TV a few times playing with P Mcy.
He signs well, probably wouldn't have the seat if he didn't, has a drum sound I like & is a fine player.

You know how Ginger Baker plays different groves from almost any other drummers (stay drunk in Africa) well I like Gingers his playing although it's not my style.
Abe's chops, some groves & send-offs sound odd to me. Musical? Yes, but the juries still out.
I'll have to listen to more of his drumming.
Anyone else notice how different his drumming is....or am I too sober? :-)