DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 05-29-2008, 09:08 PM

Default New here + I need help with my double pedal

Hi all, im a new member on this forum, I had never heard about it.

Firat off i'll give you my drum specs. I play on a Tama Superstar custom Blue fade drum with 1 Sabian x20 ( got to change that ) 21' ride-14' Paiste rude Hi-hat, 19' Paiste rude Crash/ride, 10' Pasite Alpha Splash, 20' Paiste rude crash/ride, 18' Zildjian Chinese, 19' Paiste rude Chinese + Iron Cobra Powerglide double-pedal.

I'm not new to the drumming world not at all, but I will admit that I have never been really into the technical part of the drums. Of course, now I know much more than I used to but I still have lots to learn.

I have a problem with my double pedal...you guys can probably help me out on this one!
I knoe that its normal that the tension between the two pedals are different because of the rod but...I cant seem to figure out how to ''adjust' both pedals together. My left pedal has little to know rebound ( and I did work with the spring....a lot! ) and my right pedal is just great. Both of my pedals are the same angle and all but my left simply ha no rebound ( give one hit...3 little rebounds and stop flat ).

Anyone can help me out of my misery? : D
Thanks!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Default Re: New here + I need help!

Does it feel OK. The number of rebounds means nothing if it stays in contact with your foot and is fast enough for what you are playing. Switch the two springs and see if it changes. It just could be the bearing on the slave pedal are not as good as the master pedal. Plus the connecting rod will cause some drag or friction. Not to worry.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:08 PM

Thanks i'll try to check for berings and all. The thing is that I play in a melodic metal oriented band. Even thought we like variations and we do not always play the big blast beats and all, I do have some pretty intense parts on the double pedal and it simply bugs me that my both pedal have different tensions. I know that my playing is the main thing when it comes to tightness or not but lets just say that I sometimes doubt that the double pedal has nothing to do with the playing.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:54 AM
Platinum Member

First Welcome on DrummerWorld

You can alway order springs that are thighter.

My Kit Latest Update

Last edited by mind_drummer; 05-30-2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Didn't well read thread starter post...
Old 05-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New here + I need help with my double pedal

Move the spring over to the slave pedal. Is this even possible IC guys? If not, Tama needs to get in the 21st century.

The spring near the slave beater does not give the same feel, spring needs to be close to the foot baord, just like on your primary pedal. (all) 3 springs is another option.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New here + I need help with my double pedal

I would first try a heavier spring on at least the left side and see if that helps at all--it's your cheapest solution..
DW's heavy spring is what I use on my stuff, and they stay feeling good for a long time.

Work with the foot board angle, and the beater angles too.

Your left foot is different than your right, so the pedal adjustments for one side are going to be different than the other....

You can also, take off the center rod and see if the post the rod attaches to is long enough to put on another spring assembly with the center rod back in place.

If it is, you can leave it there as Les suggested (--which will feel better in that spot), but I'd go to a good drum shop and get another assembly (or order one if they don't have one) and have a spring in all 3 spots.

Spring assemblies aren't that much money.

My old Camco double pedal has 3 springs on it (one of the reasons I got it), and it always felt great, and the left side felt like the right.

I don't know why DP's don't have 3 spring assemblies on them to tell you the truth.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!