DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 05-07-2008, 02:18 PM

Default ROLAND SPD-S SAMPLING PAD

I just got my pad and im realy happy with it!! its lightwieght nd has a great selection of samples, such as loads 808 kit samples, and stuff like bongos and stuff. Plus, its easy as 1 2 3 to create nd record your own samples!!!

The only problem is, which they dont mention before you buy, is that you need to buy a Compact Flash Card to make ur own samples, as the memory is full on the pad. Plus, it fails to state that it can only use up 2 512mb cards, and i had bought a 2G one.

The only way i found this out is in the trouble shooter section when i was looking up "Card Not Compatable". The Instructions in the book only state "Insert CF Card into memory slot etc etc". But i got another memory card on the way!!

Just wonderin what other people veiws are on these pads, and any problems people have encounterd with them!

Im only using it for live use, such as samples from films, tv, etc so im not botherd bout all the advanced features nd programing.

Check Out My Band.

http://www.myspace.com/nochaa

Old 05-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: ROLAND SPD-S SAMPLING PAD

The instruction manual is less than friendly (imagine that) but once you get going it's easy to use. Some of the issues I've run into are leveling volumes of each sample I upload and turning anything I want into a .wav but I eventually found programs that do a great job at that. You also have to remember to have the sampling rate set correctly.

I also bought a higher mem card at first before I realized it's compatible. 512s are inexpensive and you can fit plenty of samples on them, however many you want to use.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:42 PM

I researched it online back when I thought it would work for me- the Vdrums.com forum was really helpful. Somewhere in that process I learned that it only takes 512mb cards- might have been on that forum if not from the specs page at Roland. Doesn't seem like a lot of memory...

The thing that has discouraged me from buying one so far has been user feedback re: the sensitivity (or lack thereof) on the pads; apparently it's not tweakable. I'd rather have something that will allow for levels of sensitivity, so I am planning to try a DK10 multipad w/ my laptop.

I'd like to hear user's input as to the 'feel' of the pads and the sensitivity settings. I realize that if you're just triggering a sample or sequence, sensitivity isn't all that important, but I feel like if I'm going to use a separate unit for triggering I'd like it to have some versatility- I'd want to be able to 'play' it like an instrument and not just an on/off switch.
Just wondering how present users feel about that aspect.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Pioneer Member

You can set volume sensitivity with the SPD-S but how it compares to other controllers/pads, I'm not sure. It doesn't have a huge range of volume but it works pretty well for me live.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:49 PM

ah, I should probably specify 'sensitivity as relates to dynamics;' I meant to clarify that and probably forgot. With most modules, sensitivity has to do with how much difference there is between soft and hard dynamics in the actual sound (not volume) produced. Of course, then you have to have multi-layered samples, and I assume you can't really do that with the SPD-s, hence there's not really a need for much sensitivity, if you're just doing one-shot trigger events. That's my assumption, anyway...
Old 05-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

I've had nothing but good experiences with my SPD-S, so so far I've got no complaints about it. A buddy drummer of mine has one also, so I pretty much knew what I was getting into before I got it. I paid $350 for it, and the cat I bought it from hadn't done his research, and was, well, his loss, my gain.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:15 AM
Gold Member

The SPD-S is an amazing poiece of machinery. I too had issues with the unit when I first used it re: Flash cards. The big problem is that those cards are becoming harder and harder to find.

Roland did toy with the idea of implementing an SD-USB adapter but apparently they couldnt get it to be compatible.

One other issue I had with the SPD-S was sample bleed between channels (L and R), where Id have a click track just barely audible in the other channel when I played it back. This was an easy fix in the end, but I had to go right to the head guru at Roland to get the answer, because the manual was no help.

Apart from those two minor things, its a great unit. No issues with dynamics here, and the thing is as strong as an ox.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy View Post
The SPD-S is an amazing poiece of machinery. I too had issues with the unit when I first used it re: Flash cards. The big problem is that those cards are becoming harder and harder to find.
It is a great little piece!! I bought several cards cheap on Newegg for that very reason...in the future you won't find them.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:04 AM

I have the SPD-20. It was a tough choice between it and the SPD-S, but at the time I bought it I opted to have the huge on-board library of good Roland sounds on the 20 instead of the ability to do my own sampling on the -S. I am thinking about getting the -S at some point though.
The SPD-20 has quite a few different 'velocity curves' that you can select to alter the 'sensitivity as relates to dynamics' as you put it. I guess the SPD-S doesn't have this?
Old 05-12-2008, 12:27 AM

Hey guys, I too am a happy owner of the spd-s. I got mine recently.. about 2 weeks ago, this thing is a drummers best friend, this can be used in so many ways. I have used it to trigger samples and to use sounds, like drum sounds or effects etc. When i'm using it with my drum kit i have it to the left of me by my hi-hats so i like to trigger samples and use a pad as an auxiliary snare.

and 'xush' its not as sensitive as actual drums or as the vdrums meshpads etc but it is sensitive enough to be used in any way (in my opinion).. There are some sweet vids on youtube. Theres this one guy who calls himself Kamoni however he uses the spd-20 but basically what he is doing can be done on the spd-s because he is using the midi in it through Ableton Live.. Some awesome stuff.

Nick
Old 05-27-2008, 04:38 PM

I havnt bought one yet but am planning on it I was told by the sales guy that you could buy any size cards. I found these cards here. Memory Cards
Old 05-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedanimal View Post
I havnt bought one yet but am planning on it I was told by the sales guy that you could buy any size cards. I found these cards here. Memory Cards
Sure, you can buy any size card you want, it just won't work in the SPD-S...unless they revamped the pad itself.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Gold Member

Youve been given the wrong information!

They will only use TYPE 1 CF cards and only upto 512MB capacity.